Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

We can rebuild it. We have the technology!

4 minutes ago, Railways said:

Yep, They only got released last week after a clearcoat curing. At that stage I think they only had 19 of them. I thought about it but the cost landed in todays money has made me hold off.

I heard a few weeks back that they would be releasing them soon, but you are right. They end up landing around $1600-$1700 which is a big investment.  I think I’ll also hold off at this stage. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Railways said:

Yep, They only got released last week after a clearcoat curing. At that stage I think they only had 19 of them. I thought about it but the cost landed in todays money has made me hold off.

Only  3 Left and approx $1,650 AUD

I think you may be over- capitalizing a 6M$Man installing a new $1650 playfield myself.

7 new LED displays replacing the old plasmas displays and a new NB2 MPU board along with a new fuse board would be better bang for your buck IMHO.

NB2 mpu board also replaces the sound board and you can put in your own sounds or leave them stock or swap the sounds around to suit your needs.

Leave them stock or make your 6M$M the only talking 6M$M, I'd go the 2nd option myself.

http://docplayer.net/164889863-Nb2-user-manual-revision-c-march-2019.html

Yep, as mentioned in another thread we are fortunate these days too have sooooo many more resources and suppliers / options to go to these days.

Not to mention people like the OP that are willing to tackle that hideous headbox. Great stuff, another game to be saved.

• Like 2

So Over the weekend I managed to rebuild the backbox!

I created a new back panel from ply, and repaired the water damaged side panel by essentially replacing with a new piece of ply. 

the rest of the backbox needed a good sand, liberal amounts of builders bog. An initial primer putty coat and more sanding before laying down the primer. 

040232F9-E2BC-4667-B5A1-D798E1BC19B9.jpeg

98D955E2-6B37-4989-A453-3CA80A3A43F1.jpeg

Finally getting the primer down:

CC5547AD-25A7-43B2-8C1F-9E26AF804A10.jpeg

And the first coat of white. 

CE189731-F65B-4FF6-8A9C-F7589FB487C7.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I spent yesterday farewelling HRH and also reassembling the headbox. There were a few things that needed tweaking, but after a few hours, a little sanding the backglass channel and touching up the paint, I finally have a headbox which looks markedly different to the one I started with. 

42DBFEA4-1B28-4679-99C5-20D3F6BD77A2.jpeg

8DC67607-683E-426E-BC2A-BCC3227581EF.jpeg

Putting the boards back into the headbox and I’ve just realised that the soundboard is missing the PROM. Can any AA member with a burner help me out?

CA30911A-30A5-4F92-B9EF-C25F5DD7F0F8.jpeg

Edited by Grefla
  • Like 1

So I managed  to fix up the transformer and the game is back up and running.  A few more test plays, a couple of displays repaired. Trouble shooting a few switch issues. It’s nearly 100%. Just 1 playfield switch not working so I’ll have to wait until next weekend to take a look at that one and touch up the back glass, then it’s done!  

B0B82F77-E48D-4799-9B4F-A917EB1D13CF.jpeg

Today I finished the Six Million Dollar man (if they are ever truly finished). It is now 100% working and looking great. I just need to remove the borrowed sound board and put the original sound board back into it once I’ve found an EPROM for it.  Apart from that it’s done. When I was restoring Medusa I spent a lot of time talking to  @wiredoug and he suggested that if I did another full rebuild/restore that I should keep a record of the hours that I put into it. So for this one I kept a record. Most of the time was in the cabinet rebuild and respray, but every little bit adds up. In total 133 hours of restoration time.  Now to put 133 hours of game time into it!  

C872A913-E412-46F1-94D9-4C598D80C109.jpeg

45613D5D-228B-4142-8131-6C2C85BDCD4B.jpeg

Edited by Grefla
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, wiredoug said:

yep .. commercially thats 13k in labour there.   "beyond economical repair" 

Absolutely Doug. It’s understandable why the professionals like yourself don’t bother investing the hours in these old machines, but it does leave a little fruit on the tree for us hobbyists to tinker around with.  You are 100% right though, it would be way beyond economical repair to commission.