Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Some key advice please….

Hi all,

Regrettably some mongrols broke into my ute. They stole everything not tied down. That include the ONLY key for my RFM.

While some stuff was located ditched up the street, no red tagged RFM key. Bugger.

Are all keys equal? 
How do I go about replacing it so I can once again get into the machine?

Thanks

Brett

If you post a high res picture of the front of the lock, I can possibly give you some non-destructive ideas. Tag me so I remember or PM me at the same time.

Edited by ajfclark

21 minutes ago, ajfclark said:

If you post a high res picture of the front of the lock, I can possibly give you some non-destructive ideas. Tag me so I remember or PM me at the same time.

Are you a locksmith now lol

5 minutes ago, wiredoug said:

new locks are a couple dollars just drill it

If it’s a flat key it’s way easier, quicker and less mess to use a flat screwdriver and a shifter to open it. Then throw the lock away. 

6 minutes ago, Boots said:

If it’s a flat key it’s way easier, quicker and less mess to use a flat screwdriver and a shifter to open it. Then throw the lock away. 

then after you're done abusing your tools you get to fix the bend in whatever the locks mounted it..    no thanks but good luck if you do it that way.

Always found the large flat screw driver and brute force approach best on steel doors with flat key locks myself.

Screw driver tip in lock slot, shifter adjusted down to the flat of the screwdriver tip, gut against the handle end of screwdriver to hold it in the slot and one good strong reef upways to turn the lock anti clockwise.

Just like pulling teeth.

Took the kids about 10 seconds a machine to break into my machines using this method.

16 hours ago, Gemini2544 said:

Good to know, do you have a pick set?

I have a few bits and pieces...

12 hours ago, prktkljokr said:

Sometimes if you are lucky they have numbers on the front of the lock, if you go to your local locksmith with the numbers and a phone pic of the lock they will cut you one for chump change 🙂

Like this

spacer.png

That's a wafer lock. If you want to learn to pick or rake, they're a great place to start.

I have a modified set of those with 2, 3, 4, and 5 wafers for teaching.

On 12/7/22 at 12:37 PM, wiredoug said:

then after you're done abusing your tools you get to fix the bend in whatever the locks mounted it..    no thanks but good luck if you do it that way.

You misunderstood 

Put the blade of the screwdriver in the lock, shifter on the blade. While pushing the screwdriver into the lock rotate the screwdriver with the shifter back and forth a few times. The lock internals are thin brass that are very easily overcome. 
no damage to tools or machine at all.