Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

Hi all,

I have 3 CRT TVs here but I only have space for 2. They will be used mainly with older consoles like NES, SNES, Megadrive etc. Looking for opinions on which 2 TVs to keep:

- Philips 29PT468A/75R (curved screen)

- Sony KV-AR29M31 (flat screen)

- Sharp CX68NS (curved screen)

Cheers,

Matthew

The flat screen Sony is probably no good for light gun games, if you were going to be playing those at some  point as a consideration?

Its a shame you have  to downsize, as I would take one off you if I lived closer.

1 hour ago, xb74 said:

The flat screen Sony is probably no good for light gun games, if you were going to be playing those at some  point as a consideration?

Its a shame you have  to downsize, as I would take one off you if I lived closer.

That flat screen Sony is actually a Wega SD and works with guns @xb74, got a beautiful Component picture, was my main screen before the PVMs. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Damn. It's like deciding which of your kids to adopt out!

I have about ten CRTs. Most are not as good as yours, and my storage is about to be downsized but I'm still going to keep them all 😄

I would keep them all (and many more) if I had the space. I do prefer the curved CRTs but the flatscreen Sony is in such nice condition that I have decided to keep it. I’m learning towards the Philips because it looks great (IMO) and it has the remote control, it’s just a shame it doesn’t have component input. The Sharp is not as aesthetically pleasing but it has component input.

Keep the one with the best inputs. Ignore all other considerations. You want the one with component + S-video as anything old you want to display on it, will be displayed best on component in 480p.

I culled my garage CRT stash a while back and kept one 32 inch widescreen LG, entirely based on the range of inputs it has. It's the only CRT I have owned that has HDMI and does 100hz/60hz switching. I mainly run it in 4:3 with consoles hooked up via composite, S-video and component, but it's super nice to be able to have the newer stuff (Raspberry pi, various retro mini consoles, PS3) hooked up via HDMI at 16:9 as well. Sadly, it has terrible corner focus due to the 'slimline' design of the tube. Can never have it all with bloody CRTs, unless you are willing to sell a kidney for a PVM.

Edited by namastepat
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, namastepat said:

Keep the one with the best inputs. Ignore all other considerations. You want the one with component + S-video as anything old you want to display on it, will be displayed best on component in 480p.

I culled my garage CRT stash a while back and kept one 32 inch widescreen LG, entirely based on the range of inputs it has. It's the only CRT I have owned that has HDMI and does 100hz/60hz switching. I mainly run it in 4:3 with consoles hooked up via composite, S-video and component, but it's super nice to be able to have the newer stuff (Raspberry pi, various retro mini consoles, PS3) hooked up via HDMI at 16:9 as well. Sadly, it has terrible corner focus due to the 'slimline' design of the tube. Can never have it all with bloody CRTs, unless you are willing to sell a kidney for a PVM.

Had one of these my self. Great but was a nightmare to move around the house and think only tv I've had actually die lol.

Atm using a sweet 28 inch Panasonic. Only RCA input via bnc but love the fact it's a monitor with controls on the front 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, namastepat said:

The Philips has composite & S-video but no component input. The Sharp has composite & component but no S-video input (and no remote control). Are you suggesting the Sharp over the Philips?

There is one in the photo with all three inputs, composite, s-video and component. Reading the rest of your info better, it's the Sony. Keep the Sony as it has the best inputs and is more than likely the best quality screen. Sony made top-notch consumer TVs.

Edited by namastepat

Oh yeah, I have 1 x 4:3 68cm under my house with component, S-Video and composite. Then 1 x 51cm with S-video and composite, then around 3-4 14 inch with composite. That doesn't include the arcade tube stash I keep either :classic_biggrin: Under my house looks like this (don't worry, it's dry and all the chassis are stored in boxes in my garage). 

186482567_1950027685128921_7103714728746130385_n.jpg

Edited by namastepat
  • Like 1

Sony! If you're only keeping one, keep the Sony. If you're keeping two, keep the Philips over the Sharp due to the component on the Philips. Component is only a tiny step down in quality from SCART RGB and is usually the best 480p input on consumer TVs.

Edited by namastepat

2 hours ago, namastepat said:

Sony! If you're only keeping one, keep the Sony. If you're keeping two, keep the Philips over the Sharp due to the component on the Philips. Component is only a tiny step down in quality from SCART RGB and is usually the best 480p input on consumer TVs.

Definitely keeping the Sony 👍 The Sharp has component, the Philips only has S-video.