Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

VPGL22- Game6- Blackhole

Time to get lost in space with some challenging bottom playfield action

VPGL 22 - Game6 ~ Blackhole

Nominated by VPGL legends Jed 

Game Closes-Sunday 26th June

JBlackhole was made by Gottleib in 1981 and was considered to be such high maintenance that it was unpopular with arcade owners.The game is based on a hollywood movie by the same name that came out in 1979. It was the first machine to have the bottom playfield sloping away from the player and the flippers for the bottom playfield were located on the backbox end of the machine. 

Design by: John Buras & Shing Lam
Art by:  Terry Doerzaph

blackhole.jpeg.9928621825be42fceada07da17200817.jpeg

GamePlay

We are playing the 3 ball regular game in this competition.

The multiball is one of the hardest around to get but rewarding when you do as it is possible to have 3 balls going on too different levels.

The VPX Game, Backglass and ROM can be found here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mlR0DXk9PCEz-5AzlZfc9OBGCw91Tjir/view?usp=sharing

Downloads linked are just suggestions, you can play on any VPX version or the table as long as it is the same rule set (IE Pro, LE etc.). You can let us know what version you are playing and why you play that one in the thread if you like,

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a photo or screen shot showing your score. This game finishes Sunday 26th June 2022, Midnight pm Sydney time.

No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game.

Lets get lost in space and enjoy this very challenging game!

Edited by RusstyT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crakkers said:

Do I get any points for doing this?

what on earth is going on there Crackers  Looks like you broke it . I’ll put you on the board with the lower playfield score 6610 that’s currently 2nd place

3 hours ago, Crakkers said:

Edited by RusstyT
  • Haha 1

That bottom playfield is so tricky with the offset angle in the right flipper. I’m still working this one out. I don’t think I’ve nudged any game like I have with this one. No wonder they broke😁

FDCA86F7-8D9A-4719-993D-65703BBC27EC.thumb.jpeg.4e2eb24356051a3e3288ae987de55207.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RusstyT said:

2 hours ago, RusstyT said:

what on earth is going on there Crackers  Looks like you broke it . I’ll put you on the board with the lower playfield score 6610 that’s currently 2nd place

Yep, I sort of broke it. The ball jumped up off the flippers and just landed there as though it was a ridge where the main playfield met the clear cover for the lower. It just kept rolling from side to side, undecided as to crossing the event horizon or not, but a decent nudge dislodged it.

Happy to be on the podium with a 6610...........it'll give me something to work with.😊

Edited by Crakkers
  • Like 1

Great game back in the day ….wide body machine as a kid was awesome…

mate of mine that did repairs had 3 of these in his workshop back in the 90’s alone with hundreds of old machines and memories 

wonder what ever happened to them 

• Like 1

Great game, the lower playfield is a love/hate thing though.. soon as you sort out how to keep the ball alive down there, it's not too hard to keep opening the top gate to save your ball. 

On a related note - the late Stephen Hawking said there was a black hole at the beginning of time, and a black hole at the end of time, and that time / history bounces back and forth between them. Ponderous, huh ? :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

On 11/06/2022 at 5:26 PM, Jed said:

Great game, the lower playfield is a love/hate thing though.. soon as you sort out how to keep the ball alive down there, it's not too hard to keep opening the top gate to save your ball. 

On a related note - the late Stephen Hawking said there was a black hole at the beginning of time, and a black hole at the end of time, and that time / history bounces back and forth between them. Ponderous, huh ? :classic_biggrin:

I’m getting used to the offset in the bottom playfield flippers and it has made all the difference. I struggled big time with flash and thought this game was also going to beat me into submission but now I finding this game incredibly addictive. Considering the difficulty to find the ROM we are extremely lucky you came up with the goods Jed. It’s actually a dual ROM and I hope the crew get the hang of the bottom playfield. It’s a slight delay on the right hand side flip to hit it clean.  I started to get the hang by holding the flippers up and flapping them till I couldn,t eventually see the angle.cowabunga.

652790 slowly getting the hang of this one. I can see what you like about it Mozzie. B106A905-A8B4-4808-9F2C-BCE475C6278C.thumb.jpeg.3ebf08da16f4aa74a9d4d449d9d30e5f.jpeg

• Like 1

Question : once you go into the black hole (lower PF)  is the gate on the right (main PF)supposed to open automatically,  once your ball drains down there?  the several games that i have played,  it has only been open once?

Edited by Capp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Capp said:

Question : once you go into the black hole (lower PF)  is the gate on the right (main PF)supposed to open automatically,  once your ball drains down there?  the several games that i have played,  it has only been open once?

You need to hit the targets in the lower playfield to operate the gate so that it doesn't drain when it comes back up the top.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crakkers said:

You need to hit the targets in the lower playfield to operate the gate so that it doesn't drain when it comes back up the top.

i am lucky to hit anything down there lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/06/2022 at 6:17 PM, Capp said:

i am lucky to hit anything down there lol

I took Jeds lead on this and learnt the bottom playfield and eventually Im getting better at it. Thats where the fun is and the top playfield is about setting up the game. My strategy is to trap the ball when it enters the lower playfield and direct the ball towards the opposite side lit arrows. The ball drains less and gives more shot time to adjust to the flipper offset. The offset is hard to see on a the visual display but you eventually adjust and hit the ball clean. The bottom playfield is where the multiball starts, scoring opens up and the adrenaline kicks in. Once the extra balls and specials light up and more he booty opens up on the top playfield, Wow its incredible. I don't think Ive nudged a table so hard because it responds. I really hope you get to experience this and Im sure you will with a few more games.

Edited by RusstyT

On 11/06/2022 at 5:26 PM, Jed said:

Mate. I can see why they named this blackhole. I played long and hard and meticulously knock down the blackhole targets and side standups, the ball drains and I lookup and the scoreboard is sitting at 90K. My other 600K disappeared into the abyss.😅Sometimes I get to the bottom playfield and have the flippers timed and I look forward to going down there. Other times Im flapping around like my first swimming lesson and dare I say it ......I use consecutive f words. But like a good blackhole it draws me in and the coins get sucked out of my pocket at light speed. 🤣.

I like your Stephen Hawking moment. I watched a drama series on Einstein and since then I have been intrigued by the theory of relativity. Its opened my mind up to view human behaviour as rather amusing... When someone is zooming past in hurry on the freeway, all I can think of is we are both on a planet hurtling through space at 30km/sec, relatively we are going nowhere fast and we unaware of the world around us apart from our tiny personal cosmos. Yes Jed. Ponderous indeed. What beautiful minds Hawkins and Einstein had. Although at a price. Einstein had a beautiful wife with an equally brilliant mind and he treated her rather badly and was terrible with relationships. Ponderous again. I feel like Im going down a blackhole.😂 Cheers mate! 

Edited by RusstyT

Blackhole is now closed with RusstyT having a rare moment in the bottom playfield to take the podium. Crakkers showed some extraordinary skills to get the ball to run along the bottom playfield plastic to take second and vtdmame stands tall on the podium again in third. Capp just misses the podium and what a challenging game this proved to be. Jed joined us with a fine Stephen Hawking blackhole theory and when we bounce between the two blackholes at the beginning and at the end of time we may find the many points that were sucked into the abyss. Thankyou to all who joined with some fine banter, humour, solid cussing and a jolly good time.😁

Game 6 Blackhole    
Player Score   Points
RusstyT 652,790  1 100
Crakkers 212,760  2 99
vtdmame 193,180  3 98
Capp 162,040  4 97
Mozzie      
Mrs Moz      
legin  
Edited by RusstyT
  • Like 1