IGNORED

Help needed in Brisbane please

Jdmac

Question

I purchased a second hand virtual pinball machine for my husband with Pinballx installed. The grandkids were playing and now the screen is small and rotated the wrong way. In our wisdom we installed an updated version of Pinballx as it only had 2.2 installed.

As we are complete novices I think we may have stuffed it completely.

Is there anywhere in Brisbane where someone could come out and help,us get the virtual pinball going again?

10 answers to this question

Hey Russ

I put my hand up and I'm assisting. I have to login to tidy up and fix buttons and DMD.. Basically with JD's new over the old install things were messed up.

With the pinball update caused regsvr.dll issues with flash.ocx (still unresolved but not necessary). Ran Windows updates and wasn't able to complete (no updates everdone  but at least running SP1.) Created a new profile and ran PinballX and let that create the default folder locations. Original install folders were all over the place in original profile. Had issues running the correct version of VP (had trouble finding comaptible VP 992).

As stated the key mapping to buttons I'd never used joy2key.exe and I know now where the ini files are (user\Documents - strange I thought). The DMD I think I know the issue.

If the new version of PinballX hadnt been installed it would have been  5 minute fix (Sorry JD LOL).

I would of liked to do a fresh (with all updates) install of Win7 and installed MJR's PinballY - easy and less resources. JD is running an i3 and Radeaon HD88?? both 10year old hardware. I'm basically setting it up as before (except updated PinballX) and we all know what its like to get things going right (and the amunt of time involved) and updating anything always causes issues - if aint broke dont change it LOL!

Cheers

Jas

• Like 5

Hi Jd,

Did you find a solution to your screen issue. The games can be played on a PC or Cab and it sounds like some of the VPXgame setting changed to set it up for PC. Im sure Chris talked you through that and if you don't have a solution I can talk you through it. It's not related to Pinballx. I use it and its stable but I have to say I don't use games with pup packs from the PinballX front end. (Im sure your are thinking what on earth are pup packs. They run videos and include some great games like Harry Potter and The goblet of fire. FYI as namastepat said the guys that sell the cabs profit cause a lot of trouble for the community and also leave people like you in the learch totally unaware of how complicated they are to maintain. This hobby is created free to the community including all game reproductions and never should be sold for profit. 

regards

Russ

Oh man, welcome to virtual pinball, it's a nightmare.

You're unlikely to be able to fix it yourself and most things you try will make it worse. These software setups are super difficult and it sounds like it wasn't well setup in the first place if the settings were so easily changed when playing games.

There is no one I know of in Brisbane who does good VP setups, bloke up at Clontarf does them, but there have been a large number of people who have had major issues with his stuff, so much so that he was banned from the forum for basically being a dick to people who needed help for his broken software setups.

@OzStick used to provide a lot of assistance for VP setups and also sell pre-built machines. I don't think they sell the pre-builts anymore, but he knows his stuff about the software side of the setup. Might be worth contacting him. There is another guy on here who was offering to fix broken machines for people, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. If you trawl the Virtual Pinball threads, you might find him.

As your issues are PC related, if you can hook the PC up to the net and enable remote access, skilled people can torubleshoot the machine remotely.

Here's Ozstick's page on the services he offers for PC support. 

https://www.ozstick.com.au/services/pc-configuration/

Edited by namastepat
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for the help. From what I have been reading Pinballx is not very popular. I will look at another system and look at your recommendations

2 hours ago, acejas said:

Hey Russ

I put my hand up and I'm assisting. I have to login to tidy up and fix buttons and DMD.. Basically with JD's new over the old install things were messed up.

With the pinball update caused regsvr.dll issues with flash.ocx (still unresolved but not necessary). Ran Windows updates and wasn't able to complete (no updates everdone  but at least running SP1.) Created a new profile and ran PinballX and let that create the default folder locations. Original install folders were all over the place in original profile. Had issues running the correct version of VP (had trouble finding comaptible VP 992).

As stated the key mapping to buttons I'd never used joy2key.exe and I know now where the ini files are (user\Documents - strange I thought). The DMD I think I know the issue.

If the new version of PinballX hadnt been installed it would have been  5 minute fix (Sorry JD LOL).

I would of liked to do a fresh (with all updates) install of Win7 and installed MJR's PinballY - easy and less resources. JD is running an i3 and Radeaon HD88?? both 10year old hardware. I'm basically setting it up as before (except updated PinballX) and we all know what its like to get things going right (and the amunt of time involved) and updating anything always causes issues - if aint broke dont change it LOL!

Cheers

Jas

You're a good man @acejas

• Thanks 3

On 05/05/2022 at 12:49 PM, acejas said:

Hey Russ

Cheers

Jas

Mate,

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing the fixes. Good fellah.

I've only just seen this thread. acejas is a champion.

Jas will sort you out front end wise. Pinball X is the most resource hungry one out there and from the sounds of your system you need those resources for other things but it may be a case of just run with it as it was working.

Pinup Popper  and Pinball Y the other main choices for front end. You can try either or both with Pinball X installed, but  there is a heap more to VP than the front end. You have choose to do nothing more than just play once your sorted out.

Hey JAR,

Yeah I know Pinball X is the worst but I really wanted to get it back the way it was without causing more headaches...you all know what I mean there. Remoting in is soo much harder but an hour away. Its a bit far and no work (my work) out that way.

Had another look on Saturday and do you think I could get joy2key to work? Used the same mappings in X,VP Joy2key config files from the old install. Was gunna pull my hair out but I have none! LOL.  I know once leaving PX, keys config changes for VP. Anyway I downloaded xpadder and will see what happens.

I also found out the DMD's originally were all over the place including playfield. Ill have a stab with setDMD.

I'm lacking the enthusiasm right now becuase its been a looong journey but hey acejas on the case LOL

• Like 1