Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

light guns with solenoid

Hi ALL, iv been looking at all differant types of guns to get for emulation and those old classic light gun games some ok but the best by far iv come across is from gun4ir as he uses  4 senses around the tv (allowing for faster motion and very low lag) the issue..... he doesn't ship to Australia so does anyone know anyone in aust that can put the solenoids in the guns like JayBee from gun4ir and that uses the ir senses around the tv like he does its the best by far that iv seen. Any help or contacts would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

I don't know anyone, but I would ask have you used a gun with a solenoid in it?. It is not like Time Crisis 2 arcade, which is great. It is like someone thunder clapping your ears and the tactile feel of it gets old pretty quickly. My opinion is don't waste your time on a basic solenoid setup. Go moving rail or forget about it. Personally I use no solenoid.

Also as for this project I still haven't got around to it. Mainly because I have working guns on CRTs and happy with that for now enough that tinkering time goes elsewhere.

Hey redferatu, thanks for responding, I have not used a gun with a solenoid only the guns when I was a teen playing hotd tc point blank T2 and all those classics and I just assumed they used the same but whats the moving rail option ? Iv never heard of that how is It different and do you know where I can get that setup with the ir scenses? Thanks heaps mate

• 2 months later...

Gday Doom1984

I give the Gun4ir the big thumbs up.  I built mine in a Guncon2 shell.  I didn't do the solenoid either, I did a lot of reading on the Gun4ir discord channel before deciding not to include a solenoid.  

The Sinden and Gun4ir from all reports are as accurate as each other.  Very accurate!!

To me the game changer is the Sinden requires a white border all around the screen.   The Gun4ir needs 4 IR Led sensors on each screen edge.  I hate the idea of having the white border.  Also the Sinden needs software running in the background,  The gun4ir needs no software running, all settings are stored in the gun on the Arduino.

Have a crack at building a gun4ir, its really not that hard if you can solder

On 02/03/2022 at 3:20 PM, Doom1984 said:

Also redferatu, what is your setup and what's the rail setup ? Cheers 

Sorry, didnt see this. I have a CRT rear projector, 58inch I think. I had to play with the height to get no dead spots in the corners. I play it with the lights off and while a little washed out the size is my preference. PS1/2, xbox, saturn, DC - mostly component setup. So with those consoles I am pretty covered with the greats. gun4ir will cover arcade only options in the future. Rail wise I have some arcade time crisis 2 shells, but havent set it all up yet. Gun wise I have 40 odd console guns, different types for each system.

• 1 month later...
On 17/05/2022 at 9:12 AM, legin said:

Gday Doom1984

I give the Gun4ir the big thumbs up.  I built mine in a Guncon2 shell.  I didn't do the solenoid either, I did a lot of reading on the Gun4ir discord channel before deciding not to include a solenoid.  

The Sinden and Gun4ir from all reports are as accurate as each other.  Very accurate!!

To me the game changer is the Sinden requires a white border all around the screen.   The Gun4ir needs 4 IR Led sensors on each screen edge.  I hate the idea of having the white border.  Also the Sinden needs software running in the background,  The gun4ir needs no software running, all settings are stored in the gun on the Arduino.

Have a crack at building a gun4ir, its really not that hard if you can solder

Just wondering where you sourced the Gun4ir kit and did it include the camera / sensor as well?

Edited by fridgejam

19 hours ago, fridgejam said:

Just wondering where you sourced the Gun4ir kit and did it include the camera / sensor as well?

Hi fridgejam

I didnt buy a kit.  Element14 were the only people in Australia I could find who stocked the camera.  They didnt have any IR led's at the time so I bought those from X-on electronics.  The arduino came from ebay. The gun was a guncon2 I managed to buy cheap enough on gumtree.  I already had most of the other small components as I build guitar amps.  I went with a basic build with no force feedback.  Works a treat

• Love 1