Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Advice on Joystick and buttons

Hi all, I'm fixing an old arcade cabinet for a friend and making it into a dedicated Stargate themed cabinet with artwork from Noodleshirt.

I was wanting advice on what buttons and joystick people might recommend. The buttons I normally use are the cheaper Chinese ones, but they do tend to be quite loud when you push them. Is it perhaps better to use those leaf switches? If so is there a local supplier, someone ideally in Sydney? Or is there maybe another button people recommend?

Also as the joystick will just be two directions (just up and down) would I just use an MCA and adjust the thing on the base to stop it going left or right? Or os there perhaps another nicer joysticks people would recommend? Again would be great to get locally in Australia, preferably Sydney. 

Many thanks in advance for any advice!!

Edited by Ruprecht

• Administrators

Since you want Sydney Austin Amusements sell leaf switch arcade buttons as do other suppliers around the country. They are a really nice alternative to the classic micro-switch and many early arcade games used them.

https://www.austinamusements.com.au/collections/ebay-auctions

For the Joystick, almost any arcade stick will come with a restrictor plate to limit movement 2/4/8 way. If you really want it to look and feel original you'll want a ball top joystick with 2-way restrictor plate. NEVER install those horrible bat-style joysticks.

The ball tops were installed in most early machines until MCA really took a chunk of market in Australia. Probably because they're much hardier. MCA's also come with directional restrictor if you went down that path but it would look or feel right in a Stargate Machine imo

Brad

Many thanks Brad, so helpful and massively appreciated. I’ve bought things from Austin Amusements in the past and he was very helpful so I think that’s what I’ll do in terms of buttons (I didn’t realise he sold them),  and I’ll do an MCA with restrictor for the joystick. 

• Administrators

Sorry meant to say an MCA would NOT feel right in a Stargate. Every one I saw back in the day used a ball top joystick so highly recommend one of those if you can. Of course your choice 🙂

Brad