IGNORED

Best way if selling old unopened bottle of scotch

I have an unopened bottle of Johnny Walker black label scotch from àbout 1994.

I know you can't sell booze on eBay. There seem to be some places around that sell for you on Commission but I wouldn't know where to start.

Once it's in the bottle it stops aging so... beyond production changes in the intervening period and the art on the bottle, it's not going to be much different to a more recent acquisition. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, ajfclark said:

Once it's in the bottle it stops aging so... beyond production changes in the intervening period and the art on the bottle, it's not going to be much different to a more recent acquisition. 

Still tastes good though lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajfclark said:

Depends, JW Black was an import only but is now bottled locally. If it has a duty stamp over the lid, it's an import and tastes much better than locally bottled.

The only difference is the water added and the way it gets to Australia.

If it's imported, it was bottled and diluted to the proof required using spring water at the factory location.....(the factory was originally made there because of the spring water taste)

If it's local, the scotch come out of the wooden aging barrel and is transferred into a plastic drum at the factory. It comes here in this overproof state and is diluted here using local water.

Not real sure exactly what alters the taste, the plastic drum or the local water but there is a marked difference in taste and it alters all alcohol.

Grab a bottle of JW imported that has a duty stamp, pour a glass and do exactly the same with a local bottle of the same drink with no duty stamp and try the pair side by side and you be the judge.

No a scotch drinker myself prefering bourborn but played this game with Jim Beam originally, (till they started doing only local bottled), then went to Wild Turkey till they stated doing only local bottling.

Sucks because it alters the taste massively but still charge the same....

JW Blue is only imported by the way. Don't sell enough to make it worthwhile I guess...

That duty stamp means a lot. It shows import duty has been paid but also it is exactly as the factory intended the drink to taste.

• Like 2

So that would count as a "production change" right?

19 hours ago, oldhank said:

Still tastes good though lol

It's Johnny... so not really to me. Blue's ok but who's got the cash to splash on that regularly?

2 hours ago, ajfclark said:

It's Johnny... so not really to me. Blue's ok but who's got the cash to splash on that regularly?

I'm more of a jack drinker

3 hours ago, ajfclark said:

True..gave some Ltd JW away...don't like it at all 

Edited by KJS

13 hours ago, KJS said:

True..gave some Ltd JW away...don't like it at all 

At the price point, there's so many options I think are better than Johnny, i.e. Ardbeg, Talisker, Laphroaig, Glenlivet, Macallan, Bowmore and The Balvenie doublewood. The Johnny Green in particular seems grot to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajfclark said:

At the price point, there's so many options I think are better than Johnny, i.e. Ardbeg, Talisker, Laphroaig, Glenlivet, Macallan, Bowmore and The Balvenie doublewood. The Johnny Green in particular seems grot to me.

I never knew you were a whiskey drinker Andrew, I should show you my still one day..

• Administrators
4 hours ago, ajfclark said:

Agreed. Not a fan of JW, particularly at that price point. I got some of this at Christmas too. I recommend though not a peaty one. I've tried all of the above except the Bowmore and love them

The GlenDronach 12 Year. Its all gone already 😞

Brad

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gemini2544 said:

I never knew you were a whiskey drinker Andrew, I should show you my still one day..

I've probably lost teh taste for it. I haven't drunk it in years. More into gin these days.

Oh, Bakery Hill is another nice local drop for the Whiskey folks.

• Like 1

Im becoming a fan of Scotch...probably cos I had a 21yr old Glenlivet...then 18r old. Got 3 bottles of 12 year old - Ill hav to look em up. I know this is sacrilage...but I gotta have an ice cube or 2 on the first pour (I didnt do this on the 21yr old.

On a side note, just recently tidied out the liquor cabinet (well sweet fa left). Found a stash of bourbons (4 bottles) - all corked! Opened first one and cork crumble. I know now to rest bottle on its side for awhile. These bottles are about 5 years old.

Im a hori (bogan) and couldnt find a sieve so just plucked the cork bits out - added flavour 🙂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oldhank said:

I'm just happy with a jack and coke 

Never a fan of the old #7 but the Gentleman Jacks wasn't bad. Ended up turning to the rye whiskeys myself. Wild Turkey Rye 101 become my favourite but then kids come along and the alcohol took a back shelf. Gradded the farm years later and started again to fend off the cold when I built the place during winter and only ever drank at night.

Went in the local pub one night on the wife's insitance, "while your down there working by youself at least take the time once a week to get a proper feed", ordered a Jim Beam and coke and ended up with a rum and coke. Found the rum did a better job keeping me warm so I become a cheap drinker well in comparison to top shelf shit I was used to buying.

Now days I get off on the honey blends but Liquar 43 I like, a lot. Only need a couple of shots and internal warmth.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, acejas said:

Im becoming a fan of Scotch...probably cos I had a 21yr old Glenlivet...then 18r old. Got 3 bottles of 12 year old - Ill hav to look em up. I know this is sacrilage...but I gotta have an ice cube or 2 on the first pour (I didnt do this on the 21yr old.

On a side note, just recently tidied out the liquor cabinet (well sweet fa left). Found a stash of bourbons (4 bottles) - all corked! Opened first one and cork crumble. I know now to rest bottle on its side for awhile. These bottles are about 5 years old.

Im a hori (bogan) and couldnt find a sieve so just plucked the cork bits out - added flavour 🙂 

I'm a big fan of whiskey rocks and a separate glass of water and a straw to use as a pipette (or get something like this and keep it in the liquor cabinet if you're super keen: https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/83213/health-wellness-glass-dropper-bent), especially for cask strength whiskey. Allows you to control the dilution way more precisely, and still gets it quite cold so you can get the various flavours at the start of the palate, before they get overpowered as the whiskey warms up. *chef kiss* 

Also, if you're in Melbourne, perhaps this is worth a visit? https://whiskyandale.com.au/

It's where Chez Regine used to be, and superficially looks like if might cater to the same niche.

Bloody good info mate but Im just a pisshead..LOL. I'm gifted all my bourbons and whiskeys for birthdays and duty free (another pandemic black mark) and my stash is almost non existent lol. Im definitely not a conisseur of bourbon or scotch. I do enjoy the different flavours and nice to compare.

Ive actually left all my scotch whiskeys becuase I never enjoyed cheap whiskeys - burning. Im guessing the bourbons were smoother for me due to the sweetness. The whiskeys Ive had lately have been quite enjoyable.

My fav and most enjoyed was the Glenlivit 21 Archive...I finished it off in November...@ $400 it would wanna be good.     

On 10/02/2022 at 8:19 PM, danny_galaga said:

I'm more of a gin and lemonade guy myself nowadays

Last night was Tom Collinses all round to start with. Fill a glass with ice. 15ml of simple or sugar syrup,  30ml fresh lemon juice, 45ml old tom gin (I usually go 60), then top with soda.

If you don't have an old tom gin on hand, any other dry gin will do, but then it's called a John Collins.

This one is nice: https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_675292/poor-toms-sydney-dry-gin-700ml

49 minutes ago, acejas said:

My fav and most enjoyed was the Glenlivit 21 Archive...I finished it off in November...@ $400 it would wanna be good.     

Indeed. Glenlivit is a nice drop.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 08/02/2022 at 3:45 PM, danny_galaga said:

I have an unopened bottle of Johnny Walker black label scotch from àbout 1994.

I know you can't sell booze on eBay. There seem to be some places around that sell for you on Commission but I wouldn't know where to start.

Drunk Falling GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1