Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Arcade machine upgrade

ricindahunting

Question

Morning Guys and Girls,

At the risk of asking a question that may have been asked in the past here goes! Ok so just over 10 years ago I bought an arcade machine with 1200+ games. Old monitor and software in todays day and age. Im reasonably handy and unafraid to give thing a go so was wondering if anyone has converted their older style machine like mine to an LCD screen and the 6000+ games software with a number of different platforms??? Im assuming and correct me if Im wrong that the components would be available and hoping its a sort of "plug and play" set up???

Thanks in advance

Rich.............................

9 answers to this question

Post photos of the cabinet to show us what's currently in it and how it is wired. No need to replace the CRT with an LCD, you can get modern multiboards that work great on CRT.

You've got a good few choices and options here depending on how much you want to spend, how accurate you want the emulation to be, and how technical you are.

1) Pandora's Box multiboard - Kind of plug and play, but requires a CHAMMA to JAMMA adaptor.

2) Pi-JAMMA - Not plug and play, requires software setup.

3) GroovyMAME PC - Not plug and play, requires software setup, but will give you the best results for an all-round machine.

At the end of the day it's your cabinet, but I would caution against replacing the CRT with an LCD. 

Personally, I think that an LCD looks terrible and the aspect ratio changes mean that you get less screen real-estate than a CRT. 

/my 2c. 🙂

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply!! Ok so hope the images attached help. As far as technical / handy abilities, fair to say low on the technical and high on the ability. That being Im not savvy with whats required here buuuuut If you spell it out and its stepped out Ill give it a red hot go. I rebuilt my 80 series Landcruiser engine in my Old mans front yard form google, youtube and over the phone advice from a diesel tech. Admittedly I had lots of time on my hands unlike today. Now the whole idea of the screen change was to sharpen the view and least so I thought, and the big one for me is no matter how I tried in the past I could not get the screen squared off perfectly. The bottom section graphics would be pulling to the side slightly. Enough to do my head in so why I attached a few pics of the back of the screen. Anything else you guru's want to know let me know as Im keen as. $$$ within reason? But thats open to individual interpretation

20220129_064406.jpg

20220129_064433.jpg

20220129_064534.jpg

20220129_064552.jpg

What you have there for your screen is a bog standard Wei-ya chassis that has likely been matched with a TV tube. To put it delicately, those chassis are pretty shit and are often paired with tubes that are not properly suited to the chassis.

What is wrong with your picture specifically? Can you post photos? The picture pulling to the side at the bottom sounds like a H-Hold issue, there is a labelled pot on the chassis to adjust that.

Ok so its been a while since I turned it on and it appears the last time it did my head in trying to square up the screen I moved the pull to the side from the bottom of the screen to the top as you can see in the pic. I used to spend ages playing with the tuning dials and could never get it right so thought LCD. From what some of you are saying its a crappy set up so would love to do what needs to be done to get an awesome view and and play a host of games from all the consoles and arcades from when we were youngens.

20220130_163659.jpg

20220130_163718.jpg

20220130_163957.jpg

Sounds like your chassis needs a service, or it's been poorly paired with the tube. You could contact @Jomacto send the chassis off for a service and see if that fixes it up.

It's definitely a H-hold issue and those are usually fixed by dialling in the h-hold pot. However, if you have tried that and haven't managed to fix it, might be time to get the chassis checked out, or even see if Jomac can provide you with a better one matched to the tube yoke resistances.

The cab is a Chinese remake and not an original arcade machine, there were heaps of these made and churned out all over the world. It's well-built though, good wiring and everything looks secure and safe. The weakest point is pretty much always the shitty wei-ya chassis. It's pretty cool that it has a trackball though, adds some more control functionality. 

It's unlikely you will ever get an amazing picture with the current chassis, but you should be able to get it looking good enough.

Edited by namastepat
  • Like 1

That chassis isn't a Wieya it's a Chinese clone of one of their most popular old chassis , the 829H , you see these junk chassis all over eBay and AliExpress, to make it worse they are matched up to those awful tubes with the bonded yoke, not sure what they are from but they are not arcade tubes or any TV tube I have seen.

A lot of the Hold / Sync issues I see with these setups is caused by those old multigame boards that convert VGA to CGA, the conversion isn't quite right for a lot of CRT monitors and is the same boards that constantly damage the sync module on MS8-26 Nanao chassis.
I don't really touch those multigames but I know there are settings on them that greatly effect Sync, maybe someone can explain to the OP how to cycle through the Video output setting on those board, it should be on the NTSC setting not the PAL setting.

• Like 2