Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Wanted: Alvin G CPU board.

Long shot, but I'm looking for an Alvin G CPU board, to suit an A G Soccer Ball.

I believe any of the AG cpu boards are interchangeable (but I could be wrong!).

I thought I'd try local before exploring sourcing from USA. Postage is exorbitant.

Any members here who have one of these machines with some knowledge of them who might be willing to answer a few questions at some stage?

thanks

Wolfy 

1 hour ago, wolfy said:

Long shot, but I'm looking for an Alvin G CPU board, to suit an A G Soccer Ball.

I thought I'd try local before exploring sourcing from USA. Postage is exorbitant.

Any members here who have one of these machines with some knowledge of them who might be willing to answer a few questions at some stage?

thanks

Wolfy 

This what you're after?

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/pca-009.html

10 minutes ago, Boots said:

thats the one. Amazing price too

1 hour ago, wolfy said:

thanks

Wolfy 

@wolfyI own and AG soccer-ball... what did you want to know?

I recently bought one minus a few bits. Over the next few months I intend to get it up and running. I have ordered a 009 CPU board, in the understanding that that board is backwards compatible with the original 001 board. When the board arrives I may have some questions regarding eproms and what plugs in where!

Which cpu are you operating?

I'll get it open and double check for you in the next day or so. Did yours come with the upper marquee? Mine came with the "box on stilts" but no marquee plastics. I was generously given an AG Football (different region vsion of the same pin) marquee so I could do a full scale scan and re-jig the text to make a replacement. My replacement prints are stuck in courier hell right now - but when they finally come in I can check how they look.

Happy to help out with any info you need. I also think I have the artwork tucked away for spinners, striker plastics and some other bits I made a while ago now.

All the best with the rebuild. Not too many kicking about so well worth the effort I reckon.

11 hours ago, wiredoug said:

note the pics closely,  its been harvested.  they were factory rma boards mark bought from ipb, it wont "just work".

A good starting point, OK at $33 and better than a blank space in the machine 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wolfy said:

Sorry for the silly question, but what is RMA?

"return merchandise authorisation literally

most places in reality its returns, repairs, stuff thats been sent back, stuff thats been thrown on the pile, offcasts, rejects..   a mixed bag

4 minutes ago, Boots said:

@AskJacobWhy is the the coin cell battery removed and a remote AA battery pack fitted?

the original coin cell holder was green with corrosion. While coin cells are much less likely to leak, when I got the machine there was no battery installed, and the cell holder was in poor shape.

I have replacement coin cell holders, but it just never seemed to be a priority... the aa "pack" was originally a temp thing.

I also note that the "pack" is duracells. Something to be taken care of while i have it open for service....

Edited by AskJacob

4 hours ago, AskJacob said:

I also note that the "pack" is duracells. Something to be taken care of while i have it open for service....

That’s actually what made me notice it

Sorry I’m a bit of a Nazi with batteries, I’ve had to fix too many boards with corrosion. 

7 minutes ago, Boots said:

That’s actually what made me notice it

Sorry I’m a bit of a Nazi with batteries, I’ve had to fix too many boards with corrosion. 

nah, no aplogies needed. I am currently dealing with 3 MPU boards that are battery damaged and not currently working 😕

Only 1 was my fault (or duracells if we really want to get picky) - the rest were as bought... honest

Below is the trace damage I found beneath the coin cell holder:

1474961875_2022-01-2412_06_07.thumb.jpg.63a4aaab07fe9d2958f8a8715d21ebcc.jpg

Edited by AskJacob
  • Like 1

Thanks Jacob. Much appreciated. The boards I bought are all missing game roms, and also half of the other ICs in that top row. I'll have to try and identify all those that I need to complete the board, and get the game rom burnt. 

I might ask Admins to move this post into are more appropriate section now that it getting technical!!

20220124_194817[1].jpg

@wolfy

Ah, right. I just looked at the manual but it is for the 001 mpu board, and they sure moved a lot around in the revision.

Based on my game, you are missing (from left to right in your pic):

1. 65C22 VIA

2. Populated already (should be a 8255)

3. 65C02 Processor

4. 27C512 game eprom

5. 6264 RAM

6. Populated already (should be 8255)

7. Populated already (should be 8255)

8. 65C22 VIA

Those boards look really nice. Let me know if you want to offload one of them - I can replace the corroded one have 😄

Pics of the manual (that aren't too useful as it refers to the earlier MPU):

1916133653_2022-01-2420_18_39.thumb.jpg.eb8d638cf6479dfd34c0c37053a1e6b7.jpg

oof this pic is blown out, sorry. Additionally, the parts list and the board designations don't match up at all. Weird manual.

181764159_2022-01-2420_18_45.thumb.jpg.cabb3630061137c2eccd9384aaba9bb7.jpg

Edited by AskJacob