Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cyclone Ferris Wheel rotation

I recently noticed my Cyclone Ferris Wheel had the incorrect rubber which was larger than standard and twisted to resemble a figure 8.  I obtained the correct rubber and replaced only to find the ferris wheel now spins backwards??  I have attached an image of the motor and not sure if this is factory standard as the ones that Marco's sell differ in appearance. I changed over the yellow wires hoping this may change the direction  but to no avail. 

Any suggestions out there. Regards Aaron

Cyclone Ferris Wheel Motor.jpg

it is a shaded pole ac motor there, so reversing the wires wont make it go backwards as you found out. Someone hacked in that motor/gearbox as you say, it is not original... the original is a "can" type motor, not an open frame. Sort of ingenious hacking there, but they got caught out by the rotation of the motor, hence the "twist" fix

• Like 1

Found this picture. Maybe there was more than one type of motor drive used on Cyclone?

http://www.cybersled.com/albums/pinball/cyclonemotors1.jpg

Also looked up "reversing a shaded pole motor". Some believe you can, some don't. Suppose it depends on the manufacturer whether it can be done or not. Being on a pinball I'm suspecting it is reversible to suit many applications but I guess you'd have to look.

• Like 1

looks like yours is a third attempted version as the gearboxes are different. Some shaded pole motors can be reversed by moving the copper shunt on the metal motor laminations to the other side, but to be honest I have never tried it.

42 minutes ago, AskJacob said:

looks like yours is a third attempted version as the gearboxes are different. Some shaded pole motors can be reversed by moving the copper shunt on the metal motor laminations to the other side, but to be honest I have never tried it.

Yer, that about reversing is what I read. Never had anything to do with shaded pole motors so thought I would read up on them. What i do know is they are mainly used for continuous duty applications like clocks as they don't deliver much torque but don't make much heat either.

The continuous duty bit makes me think the ferris wheel may have been on all the time on some Cyclones including attract mode?.  If this is the case on some Cyclones that may have had this style motor, changing to a different style motor may not be wise.