Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLL - Game 10 ~ Solar Fox (closes 23-Jan)

Hmmmm

Well I tried to play it back several different ways and couldn't get it to work.   Thought maybe something corrupt in the playback bat file or something so I tried it in mame181 and it worked.  So I was going to video it and so tried to play it back again and it wouldn't play back.   So then I went to mame180 and just started to record it without testing it and it's working fine for now.

Edited by johnmcallister
Bad spelling
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, johnmcallister said:

Hmmmm

Well I tried to play it back several different ways and couldn't get it to work.   Thought maybe something corrupt in the playback bat file or something so I tried it in mame181 and it worked.  So I was going to video it and so tried to play it back again and it wouldn't play back.   So then I went to mame180 and just started to record it without testing it and it's working fine for now.

This doesn't make any sense for failure to playback. This can happen with NVRAM on, but I am sure you disabled it.

On 20/01/2022 at 11:39 PM, Pessimeister said:

Pessimeister: 428, 570

Had a breakthrough run to rack 40.  Failed several later challenging stages so there's room for more points. 🤔

Previously, I hadn't been shooting to clear fuzors so much as I did here. Shooting them in the tighter places is really useful to avoid danger. I'd also been fixated on shooting the 300 point "volcanic shots" too much in other games. Chasing them is a fun point pressing strategy but it's very dangerous of course. A more prudent way to play is slowly emerging. Needless to say, loving the game! 🙂

0025.png

Well you have gotten very good at this game now. Nice. So is this a pattern game or not? I would have thought winging in this game would result in a disaster.

💣

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OOO said:

So is this a pattern game or not? I would have thought winging in this game would result in a disaster.

I haven’t spent enough time with the game but I just wing it for the most part, I think there is strategy in developing patterns to clear a rack as quickly as possible, noting that your starting position changes so it is not 100% pattern-able but near enough. I have not explored the benefit of clearing for bonus vs point pressing for points on a rack though.

• Like 1

The game isn't patternable but it is made for certain strats for each type of board.  I always would go left at the start and shoot the side wall guy to stop the enemies and give me time to get the freeze guy that comes out.  

The not playing back thing is very curious indeed, if I would copy the inp file into a new directory it would play back the first time but not the second.

• Like 1

Doh, after thinking about it some more I went into the directory and checked the nvram for solarfox and it was there.   Erased it and it now plays back again.   It's been such a long time since I have had that problem that I forgot all about it.  Thanks for mentioning nvram.   So yes I did not record with nvram but when it played back it created the nvram at that time.

• Haha 1

Day 17 of 17 ...

Final standings ...

CJ46Brj.png

This game has never been played before in the MGL. It seems to have the same type of sound effects as Wizard of Wor. And you need to be a wizard to do really well in this game. It's a tough title, where 4 gamers managed to score over 400K, so well played by these pilots. Dbh managed to score 1 million points on the last day, which is a terrific effort for 2nd place. 

Congratulations to John McAllister for winning Game 10, with a superb score of 2,408,050 points. That's a lot of shooting and evasion in this relentless game of boxing. This was John's 3rd game win of the tournament, that's great gaming right there ... 

G0lzcog.png

If you missed the fun episode, you can watch it here ...

WBYX76I.jpg

• Thanks 2