IGNORED

Sign of the times

Josh Cohen

It’s not my intention to offend anyone here but I’d like to know why is it that every two bit moron these days thinks they are sitting on a “goldmine” (be it a pinball machine or any other item) simply because it is old? Same people who use adjectives like “collectible”. I recently questioned one gentleman who advertised his pinball machine as collectible. He said “because it’s fabulous for its 43 years on the planet”. Yes mate, that may be so…. But so is a preserved turd. Doesn’t make it collectible 

Edited by Josh Cohen

On 23/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, Josh Cohen said:

It’s not my intention to offend anyone here but I’d like to know why is it that every two bit moron these days thinks they are sitting on a “goldmine” (be it a pinball machine or any other item) simply because it is old? Same people who use adjectives like “collectible”. I recently questioned one gentleman who advertised his pinball machine as collectible. He said “because it’s fabulous for its 43 years on the planet”. Yes mate, that may be so…. But so is a preserved turd. Doesn’t make it collectible 

There's at least an equal number of "two bit morons" that believe they can make a ridiculously low offer and stand a chance of securing a deal.

Basically everyone wants to sell for as much as possible and everyone wants to buy for as low as possible, never been any different.

Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Edited by Boots
  • Like 4

its really simple..  dont buy it then.  just keep walking.  No one is entitled to a supply of cool cheap old stuff..   You have to hunt it down and win the hunt

Some of the two bit morons as you called them watch too much auction / antique hunter tv. The rest just look at retail and think their junk is worth the same.   Its always happened but now the numbers are bigger as supply has stopped now no ones bringing in a container of projects every month.

Just keep walking. If you're right about the prices then you wont have any trouble finding another one at that price you think is "right". 

if you're wrong it will sell to someone else and prove you wrong.

My guess is the real problem is you cant find project pinball now for the price you wish they cost? honesty you're 5-7 years too late for what you're trying to do.  parts wrecks i paid $200 for then would sell untouched for $1800 now.. anything worth having will be 2k+.    I cant find cars I want either, old cars and trucks that should be $1500 are $55000, old test gear that should be $100 is $3000. Old espresso machines are stupid money too... Dont get me started on old signs or old factory prices.... 

Old or other cool stuff costs more now... its just how it is with collectibles.

There is no magic wholesaler and no one is "entitled" to a supply of cheap stuff so you have to hunt them and find the people who just want it gone.

if its on facebook more than 10 mins its too late.

good luck.

Edited by wiredoug
  • Like 8

On 24/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, wiredoug said:

its really simple..  dont buy it then.  just keep walking.  No one is entitled to a supply of cool cheap old stuff..   You have to hunt it down and win the hunt

Some of the two bit morons as you called them watch too much auction / antique hunter tv. The rest just look at retail and think their junk is worth the same.   Its always happened but now the numbers are bigger as supply has stopped now no ones bringing in a container of projects every month.

Just keep walking. If you're right about the prices then you wont have any trouble finding another one at that price you think is "right". 

if you're wrong it will sell to someone else and prove you wrong.

My guess is the real problem is you cant find project pinball now for the price you wish they cost? honesty you're 5-7 years too late for what you're trying to do.  parts wrecks i paid $200 for then would sell untouched for $1800 now.. anything worth having will be 2k+.    I cant find cars I want either, old cars and trucks that should be $1500 are $55000, old test gear that should be $100 is $3000. Old espresso machines are stupid money too... Dont get me started on old signs or old factory prices.... 

Old or other cool stuff costs more now... its just how it is with collectibles.

There is no magic wholesaler and no one is "entitled" to a supply of cheap stuff so you have to hunt them and find the people who just want it gone.

if its on facebook more than 10 mins its too late.

good luck.

So true. I should have purchased all the cars and pinball machines five years ago

There is real world pricing then there is fairy land, unfortunately because of fairy land pricing every person that has something that they think is rare puts a silly figure on it, then someone else that is in fairy land pays this silly figure, then another person see's that silly price is achieved and the vicious circle continues, its madness?

Now if there was not the need for nostalgia all old stuff would be classified as crap and you would not be able to give it away for free, ( example in the 80's and 90's when you would find arcade and pinball at the tip ), I even had a pinball machine given to me in the 80's and was told I was doing him a favour, I sold the machine early 90's for $50 and thought I did well 🙂 .

I have a coin from 300BC, its made of brass, it has Alexander the greats head on it, you would think because it was from 300 years before Jesus that it would be worth a fortune?, well in the real world I am told its worth about $300, but I reckon if I put it on face book for $5000, someone from fairy land would buy it 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, Josh Cohen said:

Moaning, name calling and complaining fixes nothing. Just move along.  As Pete says, life is too short.

I figure as everyone else is doing it so why can't I have a piece of the action, It's only money that will be re-invested on to another game. Only yesterday someone saw my WOZ in a photo & offered me $18K for it. I said NO, and he was pissed off because it's not for sale.

Edited by Gemini2544