Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AMD price increase AFTER 50% deposit paid

Hi all

I’m posting this mainly to see if anyone else has experienced this- and if they had a good outcome?

Essentially, I put a 50% deposit down on an AIQ Pro several months ago and was informed by AMD that my machine was in one of the last shipments arriving from the USA at the “old” price of $9450.  It was scheduled to arrive early 2022. 

Yesterday I decided to write an email to AMD just to follow up as to the expected arrival date only to be informed that not only was it now pushed out to May 2022 (this does not bother me) but that the price has gone up by $1200! And I only found this out because I wrote a random email. 
Attached are my original invoice (there are NO conditions re: the price) as well as Bruce’s reply to my inquiry re: the price increase. 

It seems absolutely outrageous that not only did I find out about this by chance - but also that my near $5000 has basically been treated like Monopoly money as it hasn’t guaranteed me anything other than a deep suspicion when purchasing any more NIB games. 

2FD8D44D-0C07-4A47-9309-74D1D0311DF1.jpeg

B1766583-0211-4E92-A587-22C5933F45A5.jpeg

• Sad 1

I don't know so I can only assume that AMD would pay a percentage of the purchase price to Stern when they order the machines. 

I would also then assume that Stern must turn around after the percentage is paid to them and tell AMD the purchase price has now increased and production has now been delayed.

AMD passes the price increase on to the consumer. Is it fair I guess not, is it legal I believe it is, and since AMD offer a full refund they are compliant with the law.

Still sucks though.

I am in same boat.

29 minutes ago, c_mario said:

I don't know so I can only assume that AMD would pay a percentage of the purchase price to Stern when they order the machines. 

I would also then assume that Stern must turn around after the percentage is paid to them and tell AMD the purchase price has now increased and production has now been delayed.

AMD passes the price increase on to the consumer. Is it fair I guess not, is it legal I believe it is, and since AMD offer a full refund they are compliant with the law.

Still sucks though.

I am in same boat.

Interesting points. So you’re in the same boat. Can I ask what you’re doing? Paying the $1200 extra? My fear is we set a new precedent by doing this - and what happens if the price goes up again between now and delivery- are we expected to keep paying more ?! As far as I can tell the terms of the original contract with AMD are not being met….

Well, the same thing happened to me many years ago when waiting for a new vehicle to arrive, I believe I waited around 6 months for the vehicle to arrive and when it did the price had increased AND the valuation of the trade in had decreased, so I was given the option of paying the extra and taking the vehicle or getting my deposit back in full. At that point in time I was emotional about the vehicle, basically I wanted it, so I coughed up the extra, If this happened to me today (because its just a car) I would take my money back. So precedent , I don't think so . I'm Sure its been happening for years in all manner of goods and services.

As for what I will do, I'll wait till it arrives and then decide, I may have lost interest by then. I'm too old to get emotional about a bit of metal and plastic. Either I get it or someone else waiting will be a lucky bugger and take it earlier than they expected instead. There would be no shortage of takers. 

AMD will refund deposits even if you change your mind and they don't have to do that, others wont.

• Like 2

this is simple, what are the terms of the deposit that you agreed to? Remember its a simple contract..

Did you and AMD agree that the deposit guaranteed the price would not change? If not, then as long as you have the option of a refund, then this totally above board. Why would AMD eat the price increase from the supplier?    

it's a hard lesson, but if you put $5k down on something, you really need to understand the terms you are entering. 

13 hours ago, bwodie said:

this is simple, what are the terms of the deposit that you agreed to? Remember its a simple contract..

Did you and AMD agree that the deposit guaranteed the price would not change? If not, then as long as you have the option of a refund, then this totally above board. Why would AMD eat the price increase from the supplier?    

it's a hard lesson, but if you put $5k down on something, you really need to understand the terms you are entering. 

Hey. Cheers for the message- appreciated.  Well as is abundantly clear on the attached  invoice there are absolutely no conditions relating to the sale price. 
There are conditions, however , around the transport fee (from AMD to mine) being subject to price fluctuations- which is completely fair enough. 

The only reason I gave them a 50% deposit was to confirm the price - as was discussed with Bruce. 

for what it’s worth I had a lengthy chat with OCBA (consumer affairs) who feel it’s a clear breach of contract….

If you had a verbal agreement then absolutely this is not good mate - although hard to prove

Super interested in what happens with consumer affairs, my experience is that no terms on the invoice/sale means just that (outside the standard consumer laws that all sales are governed by) 

Hope you get a result you are happy with mate! regardless of the result its a major bummer, especially with how excited we all get regarding a new game coming. 

• Like 1

apparently any pins delivered after first Jan even the older titles get the new apron QR code thing and hence a $300USD increase for that regardless if you wanted it or not. Then they also had a recent price rise with Godzilla and rumour is another price increase early 2022 that is not announced.

they are going to be harder to justify a purchase

Stern raised all prices across the board on last release Godzilla plus all new machine are now coming with the new stern insider connect which has raised prices for all machines being made in 2022 won’t find anyone more fairer than Bruce or Michael.

• Like 2

On 17/12/21 at 2:44 PM, bwodie said:

If you had a verbal agreement then absolutely this is not good mate - although hard to prove

Super interested in what happens with consumer affairs, my experience is that no terms on the invoice/sale means just that (outside the standard consumer laws that all sales are governed by) 

Hope you get a result you are happy with mate! regardless of the result its a major bummer, especially with how excited we all get regarding a new game coming. 

Cheers mate

Yes we had a definite verbal agreement - this was what actually clinched the deal for me and ultimately led to me purchasing the machine. In fact he emailed to confirm this was the price  

I think this is what is so unacceptable  - as well as the fact that I only found out about this when I sent a random email asking about a delivery time frame - and Bruce failed to even mention the price increase until a few emails later when I double checked the price would still be $9450!!!

20 hours ago, rusty_dagger said:

So this doesnt mean the price is agreed to?

image.png.e63755dd99ffa0fceabdef6e9de2b922.png

Exactly!!

21 hours ago, ybrock said:

Stern raised all prices across the board on last release Godzilla plus all new machine are now coming with the new stern insider connect which has raised prices for all machines being made in 2022 won’t find anyone more fairer than Bruce or Michael.

Completely understand- and I felt I was dealing with very honest people too at first , but it’s quite clear now that Bruce wasn’t telling the truth when he said my machine was in the shipment that pre-dated the price increase. This was spelt out in black and white to me. And was the key reason I ultimately pulled the trigger - knowing these were about to go up by $1200

• Like 2

On 18/12/2021 at 5:26 PM, Jack the Flipper said:

Cheers mate

Yes we had a definite verbal agreement - this was what actually clinched the deal for me and ultimately led to me purchasing the machine. In fact he emailed to confirm this was the price  

I think this is what is so unacceptable  - as well as the fact that I only found out about this when I sent a random email asking about a delivery time frame - and Bruce failed to even mention the price increase until a few emails later when I double checked the price would still be $9450!!!

Exactly!!

Completely understand- and I felt I was dealing with very honest people too at first , but it’s quite clear now that Bruce wasn’t telling the truth when he said my machine was in the shipment that pre-dated the price increase. This was spelt out in black and white to me. And was the key reason I ultimately pulled the trigger - knowing these were about to go up by $1200

I think your reality is simple. Do you want the game or not? If you want the game, I think you will have to pay the extra. I think the AMD purchase price has gone up and Stern have not delivered the games to AMD that they were meant to.. Manufacturing delays etc, etc has pushed production schedules back and back. This puts AMD in a very difficult position. They do not know when the games are going to arrive.

I am not sure what going to consumer affairs is going to achieve for you? You can have the greatest conversation with them and it can be extremely interesting and entertaining but at the end of the day if AMD refund your deposit, there is no case to answer.

Does not matter what each different persons opinion is, it only matters what you want. We are on the list waiting for a game too. It is what it is, if they cost more they cost more. At the end of the day, a pinball machine is a really expensive toy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I am in the same boat and I sympathize with you. I think things wouldn't be so bad if AMD communicated with their customers rather than waiting for them to reach out and find out what is happening with their order.

I suspect this is a result of having a captive market so I'm not really surprised but it does leave a bad taste in your mouth.

It's also not fair enough IMO to say that AMD are only the middleman. The responsibility for communicating changes in circumstances lies with them and not Stern.

• Like 4

Any machine made after 01 January was subject to a price rise, despite when it was ordered it seems. Guys in America are getting the same raw deal, was reading some guy ordered a new Pro model in June 2021 with a November 2021 eta. Now subject to the price increase and no eta in sight. 

• Like 2

We have all been shafted somewhat by Stern - everyone is pretty much in the same boat who have pre-ordered a game with them, whether here, in the US or wherever else. I have a DP premium ordered back in early August and due for a December build. I haven't heard from AMD yet, but 99% sure this hasn't been built, and now won't be scheduled until August this year. I have already swallowed one (significant) price increase - which I was notified about from AMD, but it was a general email blast and perhaps if anyone didn't see it, it could have gone to junk folder or something. Now, IF there is a second price increase between now and August, that would be a massively bitter pill to swallow.

I don't think it's the fault of AMD at all - I think Stern have totally shafted them too with their delays and price increases. I've had several moans about it on Pinside - I just can't believe Stern have allowed themselves to get into such a massive backlog of orders, and there are going to be a huge amount of unsatisfied customers I think.

I've bought 3 NIB games the last couple of years, all ordered and delivered within a few months. Now I order a machine, get told it'll be here in a few months, then get a price increase slapped on it and told "oh by the way you also have to wait another 8 months" all the while people are getting their nice new Godzilla/Rush/Mando etc machines who would have ordered way after me. At the moment it feels like getting charged for being kicked in the knackers, it's not good at all.  

Yeah, 1st world problems I know we are just buying toys etc, but we outlay a LOT of money for these things. It's bound to stir up some resentment when you get messed around a bit. Just to re-iterate though, I don't blame AMD one bit for this madness, Bruce and Michael are 2 of the most honest guys I've ever dealt with, and really look after their customers. I think this is all Sterns doing.

• Like 1

On the other hand you only have to pay the increased price "IF" your pinball machine is actually built and shipped..

When was the last shipment of not newly released stern titles to our shores? Are AMD even taking orders anymore?

I don't think Stern are communicating to Distributors any known ETAs for previous releases anymore