Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

<<FIXED>> Take Five, my Allied Leisure restoration.

Well here we go! For those that have never seen a Take Five Cocktail pinball machine this is one. I had some interesting times looking after one at the "Daily Planet Brothel" that's another story on AA some where! Anyway fond memories!

What I have here is a machine with no real chance of living again other than-

A/ Finding a working MPU board (Unlikely).

B/ Locate the missing dedicated CPU (found), RROIT (prototype replacement found), PIA IC's (found).

B/ A replacement RRoit board in Canada and here in Australia (still a project).

C/ Put another board system inside (Possible).

So this is a TAKE FIVE,  it's a Table top Solid State (SS) pinball machine with a much smaller footprint than a conventional Pinball machine. 

Now this game has no working MPU so the project will be slow.

I hope you enjoy the journey.

DSC_1956.JPG

DSC_1955.JPG

DSC_1954.JPG

Edited by Gemini2544
Typo
  • Like 6

Okay the first job today was to remove all the ZOMBIE wiring someone did to make the game sort of play. No scoring, no ball count, no end of game, just the walking dead! If you have a keen eye you'll see the wires removed. Were now back to the factory original wiring. So much easier to read the schematics without a bunch of bogus coloured wire that doesn't belong.

Take five 7.jpg

DSC_1969.JPG

Edited by Gemini2544

So I assume this is the project that I have been providing parts for 😁

Looks like a fun project, I wouldn't mind giving one of these a go one day, that's if I could find one.  Not sure if i know enough about Gottlieb sys 1 boards to get one working, I'd probably try the audrino method as that looked very interesting. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gemini2544 said:

Yes, Some of THE JUDGE will be inside the machine 100%. Thanks for that too!  I can't stand seeing a machine die, their always fixable. I looked into Audrino but I can't write "+C" so that was that!

I was a programmer in my pre-retirement life that's why I'd go that way 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thejudge said:

I was a programmer in my pre-retirement life that's why I'd go that way 

The best I can do is BASIC & even that's sketchy now.

Just got word from RTBB, the missing plugs I need are out of stock.. That's going to slow me down greatly.

Someone surely has a dead Gottlieb harness floating around, I really need these plugs. A1J6, A1J3, A1J2, A3J2 That's all!

On 15/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, thegrunta666 said:

Those fuse holders look just fine to me....The solder is to make them vibration proof. These mods where done by a true professional back in the day 😁

More likely a true act of desperation, also the 35amp fuse inside the holder was a "Just to be sure" fuse. 

200.gif

Edited by Gemini2544
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gemini2544 said:

More likely a true act of desperation, also the 35amp fuse inside the holder was a "Just to b sure" fuse. 

That would make it a highly reliable fuse. That is a fuse that is never going to blow if you look at it that way.

I actually had a customer say to me once can I get some reliable fuses off you because the ones I'm using keep on burning out.

• Haha 1

Some work was done today but not electronic. As I'm behind the 8 ball with the plugs I decided to start some work on the cabinet.

Had some chipboard damage to bog up. BOG must be one of the most useful thing on the planet.

DSC_1974.JPG

DSC_1978.JPG

DSC_1981.JPG

DSC_1977.JPG

DSC_1979.JPG

DSC_1976.JPG

DSC_1980.JPG

Edited by Gemini2544
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A 100% fluke & just luck. I was talking to a guy in the US about something else when he gave me a lead for a  "H" MPU board. I contacted this guy called Rick who has a Roy Clark table,  same game as the Take Five. He has a stuffed power supply so he is going to part it out. I was able to buy the board for $200 us.

DSC_1955.JPG

Edited by Gemini2544
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, ajfclark said:

If you want a second one, I found one here in Horsham that the guy might be willing to part with. He's also got a Sure Shot that needs a little love.

You should grab them Andrew.

His got a point, Sure Shot is a great game.

How's that Take Five going anyway?. How about some pictures of it's internals?. I think people would love to see how Allied Leisure did things in those tables.

Always believed the concept was there but the brand and playfield layouts weren't.

11 hours ago, Autosteve said:

How's that Take Five going anyway?. How about some pictures of it's internals?. I think people would love to see how Allied Leisure did things in those tables.

I have these pix on file.

DSC_2083.JPG

DSC_2080.JPG

DSC_2079.JPG

DSC_2078.JPG

Take five 5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the ALI main pcb from @Gemini2544.  He kindly lent it to me to test a 6504 NOP module I had made up.  While I was waiting for the NOP pcbs to arrive for testing I did a little work on his main pcb (which is not working).  It turns out at least one of the 6530's are faulty.

So after a little research I started designing a small plug in replacement that can be configured with solder jumpers to be the one you need to replace.  After looking into available parts I went through a few design revisions.  PCBs and parts for testing were ordered and am awaiting pcbs to be delivered.  I hope to have some of those pcbs here next week to start assembling them and developing the configuration files to test them.

416206942_6530Reprov1-23Dsm.jpg.045e8d16dcb35a1ddacf7cf310a7c656.jpg1181735618_6530Reprov1-2Bottomsm.jpg.d02bee1527940c34596e7cee17793bbd.jpg755904938_6530Reprov1-2Topsm.jpg.e7c0820984715913a9a87509261168b5.jpg

The 6504 NOP works, which is nice for fault finding a faulty board.  With a working board signatures could be recorded to make fault finding easier. @Gemini2544 has kindly agreed to let me hang onto the ALI pcb a little longer while I develop these 6530 repro modules.  In the next batch of test pcb's that are coming I have also made a Fluke 6502 to 6504 adapter.  If that works I can also test the board with a Fluke 9010A to do RAM, ROM and Port tests.

While I was working through different design options for the 6530 repro, to come up with something that seemed workable and met my criteria, I started on another (slower) project... a repro ALI main pcb.  There were requests to produce a smaller pcb and remove the messy jumpers.  .  I initially drew up the schematic and pcb layout using a rev E schematic.  I then did a revision change to match the current rev H pcb, this is the pic below (J4-J6 are wrong).  I am using this as the stating point for my repro ALI main pcb.  It will be smaller and will use a different method for the settings.  A little work on the code shows the settings are read in real time, so I am (almost finished) reverse engineering the code to see if I can change the way the settings work without changing the game play.  This project (ALI main pcb repro) will pause as my other little projects get worked on.

944636963_ALIReproV33D.thumb.jpg.373421d2679872d759eef70bc276d76f.jpg

I also started thinking how I test things - I do not own one of these games!  @Gemini2544 has kindly volunteered to test the bibs and bobs for me when they are ready to test.  I still feel a need to make testing easier. So I started designing these.....

462769457_J23DDraft.thumb.jpg.80a7e3caf767914c709673cbedf13152.jpg304862987_J12DTopDraft.jpg.e6f83dd7854b8b51a274f39222ef1438.jpg

Early stages so far.  Top has a socket soldered onto the pins to plug into the main board and bottom plugs into the harness socket.  It can be used to check or test lamps and switches plugged inline (into board and harness), board only or harness only.  Top has 2 rows of LED's to show if that pin has a switch pressed or lamp on.  Switches have pin number and abbreviation of normal function above them.  Unused pins can have switches and LED's left off or if all on 1 board can be used to test any of J1-J3 lamps or switches.  I have added all as stuck lines on a rev E pcb can will show up that can cause problems you might not notice on a machine wired for just rev H.

I made up a tester (breadboard with ATMEGA 2560, sorry not sharing a pic of that) to read the 6530 RRIOT and verify if the rom and ram are ok.  That could be developed into a proper tester to verify the ports and timer as well.  I will leave that for later if I feel the urge to develop it into something more useful.

Hopefully that gives a few pics and some info about the bits I am working on and their progress. Fingers crossed @Gemini2544 will have his board back in his machine and all working again soon.

Edited by Azure
  • Like 4

On 25/05/2022 at 8:38 PM, Autosteve said:

His got a point, Sure Shot is a great game.

It is. I'm just out of space at the moment, and it needs a little love... Left flipper is starting to drag, there's a bit of wear here and there, the backglass is pretty good, the leg bolt plates need replacing at the back (it's sitting on a box at the moment), the back to the light box is a piece of cardboard. He's asking $2k.

On 25/05/2022 at 8:38 PM, Autosteve said:

Always believed the concept was there but the brand and playfield layouts weren't.

I often wonder if part of the issue was that multiplayer games involved people standing up and moving around. The cocktail arcades at least sometimes flipped the screen etc which made things more bearable.