Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Name of A Video Game?

Looking for the name of a game, only ever say it as a dedicated machine. I'm thinking it must of been an X Y game as it was similar to asteriods in appearence but was a Tank Game. Was extremely popular with many parlors having more than one. Object was to fire your tank and you looked through a viewer to destroy the distant tanks. LAI had a heap of these dedicated machines.

I thought it was Tank Force but that was the Namco tank game made much much later and it is a maze game where as the one I'm thinking of definately was not.

Anyone know what these were called?.

Yep, that was it. Battlezone. Now to get a Mame version of it. I wasn't a massive fan of video games and when the industry went more towards fighting games, it lost me even more but every now and then there was one that had me interested.

@KJS that link reminded me of another I'll try and grab, Lunar Lander where the object was to land a lunar module on a ledge supposedly on the moon.

There was one other XY game, I'm thinking it was called Star Wars or Space Wars. Big squarish shaped dedicated cabinet. Game play was very similar to Asteriods but you could vary the game using 10 or so buttons. These buttons were only for fine tuning the game you wanted to play through memory. The game controls were seperate.

As you can see I do like the obsure games. Thanks guys.

Yep Space Wars is the other vector one you were thinking of with the large number of buttons (they were like keyboard buttons I think...)

Here's another one for you, uses a trackball:

And a early/mid 90s game similar to Battlezone that was fun in the arcades:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zzap said:

Yep Space Wars is the other vector one you were thinking of with the large number of buttons (they were like keyboard buttons I think...)

Here's another one for you, uses a trackball:

And a early/mid 90s game similar to Battlezone that was fun in the arcades:

Yep, 10 keyboard buttons, that's it. Made by some company like Intelevision or something like that. Very similar to Asteroids but you could add things like gravity using the tune buttons.

That machine battlezone, I remember a George Street Sydney site that had about 10 of them lined up side by side. We had two at Luna Park in Penny arcade but they were well past there prime by then. Hard to believe where all those cabinets ended up but that is what happened to dedicated cabinets and I suppose being XY games didn't help. Haven't seen one for decades.

Thankyou @Zzap

P.S. really trying to steer clear of the trackball games. My mate loves Missile Command with the trackball and although I know you could make Missile Command joystick, it never earned or played the same.

Edited by Autosteve

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks guys. Battle Zone is just as capable of giving me the shits as it use to. It was 40c a game back in 1980 and that equates to $1.88 these days. Think you'd pay $1.88 for a game of Battle Zone these days?.

Sort of burst my bubble somewhat though. I thought Battle Zone was a random game but after playing it as much as I have now, I am seeing patterns. One reason I wasn't a real video game fan back in the day was if you did exactly the same thing, the machine would do exactly the same thing where as a pinball, the saying was the ball never rolls the same way twice plus, you could win a free game on a pinball.

That pretty much limited the vidoe games I actually played, worked on millions but didn't play as such and never really owned many compared to pinballs.

Did own a 14" Taito Defender. Loved that game. Never did work out it's patterns, just got better, much better.

That machine sat in my lounge room for over 3 years and someone was playing it most of the time. Everyone I knew got good at Defender.

Great to go back and play some of these games when it doesn't require a full blown video machine.