IGNORED

Space Invaders Power board issue

Hi Guys

Im onto getting my SI upright going knowing it had power issues when I got it

The previous owner had issues with one of the fuses going on the power supply which seems to be Ok now for some reason but I did pick up that on the power board the 2 white rectangle block things (excuse my ignorance) were red hot when I pulled the board out and accidentally touched them

Obviously there is a problem somewhere which leads me to thinking should I ditch the whole board and just go with a switching power supply 

As much as I like to keep things original what are your thoughts - repair if possible or replace for reliability etc 

Cheers

Inked20211126_094115_LI.jpg

20211126_094131.jpg

• Like 1

Try measuring across all of the little tantalum capacitors in case any have gone short circuit,  a common problem.

Too valuable in original condition to modify imo regards John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbtech said:

Try measuring across all of the little tantalum capacitors in case any have gone short circuit,  a common problem.

Too valuable in original condition to modify imo regards John

Thanks but knowledge is limited so will probably get someone to check it

What I did do is measure the voltage out from the board harness and 5v is good but 12v was 18-20v 

I also noticed when I was measuring the voltages at the harness (not plugged into the board) that the 2 resistors (thanks gemini2544) were cold so Im assuming when its plugged into the board the high 12v reading is causing this ????

Remember my knowledge is limited  LOL

Personally If you knowledge is limited I'd leave it for someone who is  more in the know. One slip and you've done more damage. I've seen boards that just had a bad diode pretty much destroyed by inexperienced owners. Not a dig at you, just some free advice.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gemini2544 said:

Personally If you knowledge is limited I'd leave it for someone who is  more in the know. One slip and you've done more damage. I've seen boards that just had a bad diode pretty much destroyed by inexperienced owners. Not a dig at you, just some free advice.

I usually do leave it to the experts but also trying to learn on the way for future reference

• Like 2

So can anyone recommend someone to get the power board and probably PCB checked and or repaired?

(Not Jomac as I have already asked and cant do it) 

Cheers