IGNORED

MGLL - Game 1 ~ Donkey Kong (closes 12-Dec)

OOO

No scores overnight on Donkey Kong. Looks like you need some tips 👀from an expert.

How about from Hank Chien, a former Donkey Kong World Champion ... (just click on the image for the BIG PRINT).

HEr6jGC.jpg

VUwSCU3.jpg

• Like 1

Quick everyone, there's a sub 65 k score coming up if you want to see it! 🤣

Pessimeister: 62, 800 

I didn't really grow up with DK, but it'll be fun to try and improve on it for the MGL. Kongo Kong on C64 was probably the closest game I played to it. 🙂 Still, such an ingrained classic now - curious to see how many more DK forum players we get in the final week to push the scores higher. 

0002.png

• Like 2

Just dropping in to say’Hi’! 

Best of luck to everyone at DK! Go beat your PB’s. Special hello to 000! I finally made it back to the forums!

Ive been hooked on this game since 2015 and have attended the Kong Off’s in Brisbane. It’s a very rewarding game when you start to learn barrel control and can also beat springs on Level 4. 

I’m not in the same league as Australia’s elite DK players but had a game last night, link below. Ended at 462100. Current pb is 800k+ but still the Kill Screen eludes me.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1223591194

Edited by outrun86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, outrun86 said:

Best of luck to everyone at DK! Go beat your PB’s. Special hello to 000! I finally made it back to the forums!

Ive been hooked on this game since 2015 and have attended the Kong Off’s in Brisbane. It’s a very rewarding game when you start to learn barrel control and can also beat springs on Level 4. 

I’m not in the same league as Australia’s elite DK players but had a game last night, link below. Ended at 462100. Current pb is 800k+ but still the Kill Screen eludes me.

My wall is beating the L4 springs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, outrun86 said:

Hi Sean,

You picked a good time to pop in. It's the big MGL50, and you've taken the lead on this game. Now maybe you can hit a new PB over 800K, and get that kill screen. 2015 to 2021 is 6 years of trying. I hope you can get the KS.

DonkeyKongHeart.png.4c5c4633350a249d689802e0c1cc5716.png

Outrun86_score_462100.thumb.jpg.e3d2266ae5d3eaf90938302ab65449c7.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A quick question to the DK aficinados: What are the key differences with the romsets? Previously to the MGL I'd only been playing the Japanese set 2 but have switched to US set 1 for the MGL. My PB was made on the former rather than the latter, but I hope to change that. 🙂 

@outrun86. G'day Sean - we met a couple of years ago at Bartronica. Nice score mate! We need more MGLer's of yore to drop by and even better, drop a coin. 

Edited by Pessimeister
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pessimeister said:

A quick question to the DK aficinados: What are the key differences with the romsets? Previously to the MGL I'd only been playing the Japanese set 2 but have switched to US set 1 for the MGL. My PB was made on the former rather than the latter, but I hope to change that. 🙂 

@outrun86. G'day Sean - we met a couple of years ago at Bartronica. Nice score mate! We need more MGLer's of yore to drop by and even better, drop a coin. 

The major difference is in the order of screens for each level which was changed for the US version

The Japanese set every level goes Barrel, Conveyor, Elevator, Rivets.

On the US Set it’s
Lvl 1: Barrel, Rivets
Lvl 2: Barrel, Elevator, Rivets
Lvl 3: Barrel, Conveyor, Elevator, Rivets
Lvl 4: Barrel, Conveyor, Barrel, Elevator, Rivets
Lvl 5 thru 21: Barrel, Conveyor, Barrel, Elevator, Barrel, Rivets

The Japanese set and some of the early us boards had the ladder cheat where you can climb a ladder and barrels will never come down on you. This was patched in the US in the interest of making more cash...I mean making it more challenging.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 05/12/2021 at 5:09 PM, Pessimeister said:

G’day dude. Must get back to Bartronica with lockdown easing! Thanks for saying hello!

I know one of the Japanese romsets only has 4 stages per level where the US one gets to 6 stages per level.

• Like 2