IGNORED

Checklist required for old "new" machines in for first power up - Idiots Guide

RaoulJuke

Question

G'day fella's,   I'm a pinballer who is seeing the light & moving over to arcades. Ive purchased quite a few Aus machines already, but i've also got access to a lot of US imports from the 80's which have yet to be turned on.

The advice i have been given is it will be wiser to run them off a "step down" as opposed to converting to AUS as its not as simple as just converting the power supply. Older machines tend to require modifications on the boards etc too.

Does anyone know of a sound idiots guide checklist that might already exist online of things I should check out before powering these on for the first time? Many of them have very valuable "original" boards in them, so i dont want to risk any damage.  I know to check that the correct fuses are in place (although not entirely sure where to find a specs online for each game) & to also clean the cab & boards to ensure no metal shards that may have occurred from drilling out locks.  Also double checking all connectors are plugged in, no pins missed.

Any direction with it would be awesome and really appreciated

5 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, RaoulJuke said:

G'day fella's,   I'm a pinballer who is seeing the light & moving over to arcades. Ive purchased quite a few Aus machines already, but i've also got access to a lot of US imports from the 80's which have yet to be turned on.

The advice i have been given is it will be wiser to run them off a "step down" as opposed to converting to AUS as its not as simple as just converting the power supply. Older machines tend to require modifications on the boards etc too.

Does anyone know of a sound idiots guide checklist that might already exist online of things I should check out before powering these on for the first time? Many of them have very valuable "original" boards in them, so i dont want to risk any damage.  I know to check that the correct fuses are in place (although not entirely sure where to find a specs online for each game) & to also clean the cab & boards to ensure no metal shards that may have occurred from drilling out locks.  Also double checking all connectors are plugged in, no pins missed.

Any direction with it would be awesome and really appreciated

If anyone knows where to start ask @namastepat will be the first point of call for you..........

That's it with this topic for me....Turning the light off now Marcus.....I'm offended........lol

1 hour ago, KJS said:

Whatever you do don't just put a 240v plug on it and plug it in!! 

Been there done that mate, thank fuck for @raysco

A mistake i've only ever made once!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If anyone knows where to start ask @namastepat will be the first point of call for you..........

That's it with this topic for me....Turning the light off now Marcus.....I'm offended........lol

Do i get an achievement for offending DAG?? I didn;t think that was possible! I thought DAG did all the offending😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 4:11 PM, RaoulJuke said:

Been there done that mate, thank fuck for @raysco

A mistake i've only ever made once!

Do i get an achievement for offending DAG?? I didn;t think that was possible! I thought DAG did all the offending😂

He does give good hugs though