IGNORED

Need someone to test my J-Pac, Perth

drguild

Question

I have a J-Pac but cant seem to get monitor throughput when direct to the arcade monitor works.

Wondering if there's someone here in Perth that can test my J-Pac for me comparing it to theirs so I can get it replaced if its faulty.

Message me if you can do so, I am in Armadale.

Thanks

Edited by drguild

8 answers to this question

What do the two lights do on the jpac when the PC is booting? The orange one should be lit as soon as a signal passes through the jpac and the green one should light once it gets a synced signal.

Is the jpac plugged into a USB port that is always powered? A lot of motherboards have USB ports that don't power until windows boots. There will generally be at least two USB ports that receive power all the way through the boot process.

I'll double check tomorrow, bit I think both the green and orange ones are on all the time.

The USB is powered from the of bit even when the of is running there's no signal from the J-PAC.

If the sync light is green, it means the signal is passing through the J-PAC fine and is a recognised signal based on your JPAC jumper settings. If there is no image on your screen when the sync light is green, it seems more likely to be a problem with the cabinet, as the J-PAC would appear to be functioning as intended.

Please post a video with the J-PAC running and what happens on the monitor when you boot it up, it will help to diagnose the issue.

Edited by namastepat

Its rough but this shows what's going on.

At the end is the PC direct to the monitor.

Its not the cable from the Jamma edge connector as that is fine with a Pandora box.

Here is the resolution the monitor is detecting direct from PC.

Even at 15k there's no display through the J-PAC.

MVIMG_20211027_140030-01.jpeg.b0968ec217e2075aa70aa7e3f013d4eb.jpeg

Edited by drguild

Sorry mate, missed this post. I have no idea based on that video. The fact that the monitor works fine in 31khz, but not 15khz is super weird. What type of monitor is it? I am assuming it's an auto switching tri res of some kind?

I noticed that you plugged the J-PAC into some kind of converter box before the monitor flickered and switched off. It might be something to do with that? Can you eliminate that box at all to test?

Edited by namastepat

You misunderstood the post haha.

Monitor is fine all trisync frequencies 15/24/31

PC was set to 31k when I did the test but even at 15k it's the same fine direct but no signal though the J-PAC, I can do another video of that if you want but it's the same result.

The J-PAC is built to work on Trisync frequencies through the harness not just 15k.

The box your seeing and thinking is a converter is just a dsub 15 port that's wired direct to the Jamma edge connector.

This works as I can run a Pandora Box CX fine through this connector to the monitor.

MVIMG_20210911_155928-01.jpeg.be2198a207eb3dd5a8e85fc774f4dbd9.jpeg

I have a interesting situation.
I got some VGA plugs and wired up my Ultracade Video Converter.

Tried the Dip switches on the UVC and here are my findings through the J-Pac.
snip.png.74730bcc82e997f596857adc57760945.png

Modes through J-Pac,
6 on / 7 on / 8 on - signal
6 on / 7 on / 8 off - no signal on monitor
6 on / 7 off / 8 off - no signal on monitor
6 off / 7 on / 8 off - signal
6 off / 7 off / 8 off - signal

Direct all modes work though the H Sync Polarity may be artifacting a little.
24khz EGA through the UVC the J-Pac won't recognise.

So appears its the H Sync Polarity from the input that needs to be negative through the J-Pac when Sync is separated.

Whether I can get through the active HDMI and CRT Emu driver I don't know.

Edited by drguild