IGNORED

MGLXLIX - Game 10 ~ I'm Sorry (closes 31-Oct)

Pessimeister: 325, 495 

I found a very cheesy strategy which once discovered by the likes of Blackflag and co, will definitely skyrocket the top score. It reminds me a bit of the technique Pixie Sukola introduced to Rolling Thunder when we played it last.  Certainly changed the way I played the game. Anyway, I'll enjoy a short nap on Mt Fuji for now until Terence shouts "Yeah!" again and boots me off. 😉 

0021.png

Edited by Pessimeister
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sigh! Great, just great. End of lockdown (somewhat) so dearest wife has planned my time for me.
Hopefully that still leaves me... us... all of us enough time to aim for David (jerky) Jury's 1M score... go team!

Edited by terencew
  • Haha 2

In the interests of full transparency to other players and to OOO, here's what I've been doing and how I arrived at the idea: 

In chasing Terence's 262 k score, I came to the conclusion that I was headbutting against a wall. I was making round 7-8 regularly but still coming up 80-100 k short. The more principled approach here would be to practice these rounds using save states but I wanted something more immediate. 

So I started experimenting with the round timer to find more points; ending rounds later after gold collection and pressing by taking out more enemies. 

The best round for this that I've found so far is round 5. 
There's a particular way of punching the athletes (Carl Lewis?) which really ratchet up the points fast. Usually it takes three strikes to take them out but if you draw out the timing of these punches, you can sometimes get 6-7 scoring shots per athlete. Much like Rolling Thunder, you can even sacrifice lives on this stage if you wanted to score more here if the prospect of getting further than round 7-8 is low. For me strategically, this made sense as ultimately cheesy as it is.  

In point pressing I also discovered the neat statue "1500" bonus which I'd never have found simply progressing stages normally. It seems to be repeatable as well - simply by passing a statue and leading it back to its place without attacking it, you can score more. Obviously this is also dangerous the more you linger, but I usually do it a few times on such stages. 

As I said, I'm sure someone will do what I've done but better soon or simply exceed my score by pure progress. 

If any of my play here is considered not in the spirit of the competition, by all means please withdraw my scores. 

All the best everyone with this crazy little title. 🙂 I'll try not to make any more sorry jokes. 

Cheers
PEZ 

• Like 4

I have also come across these strategies from some of the videos I’ve watched, but yet to put into practice.

Will leave it to OOO to make a ruling of course

my 2c though,

For me I am okay with it as a point pressing technique which is time limited and still keeps the game competitive in spirit (aka Donkey Kong technique of jumping by Kongs foot on the rivet stage). As with DK, you could have a player progress further into the game without point pressing and still score higher than another who did press. With players of equal skill levels then there is still a competitive edge with game management to extract more points. Those of lesser skill levels there is a saying ‘practice brings the impossible closer’

p.s. for a brief time I thought you might have been alluding to secret big cheese bonus points 😂

Edited by Ace1942
Added post script
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Pessimeister said:

In the interests of full transparency to other players and to OOO, here's what I've been doing and how I arrived at the idea: 

In chasing Terence's 262 k score, I came to the conclusion that I was headbutting against a wall. I was making round 7-8 regularly but still coming up 80-100 k short. The more principled approach here would be to practice these rounds using save states but I wanted something more immediate. 

So I started experimenting with the round timer to find more points; ending rounds later after gold collection and pressing by taking out more enemies. 

The best round for this that I've found so far is round 5. 
There's a particular way of punching the athletes (Carl Lewis?) which really ratchet up the points fast. Usually it takes three strikes to take them out but if you draw out the timing of these punches, you can sometimes get 6-7 scoring shots per athlete. Much like Rolling Thunder, you can even sacrifice lives on this stage if you wanted to score more here if the prospect of getting further than round 7-8 is low. For me strategically, this made sense as ultimately cheesy as it is.  

In point pressing I also discovered the neat statue "1500" bonus which I'd never have found simply progressing stages normally. It seems to be repeatable as well - simply by passing a statue and leading it back to its place without attacking it, you can score more. Obviously this is also dangerous the more you linger, but I usually do it a few times on such stages. 

As I said, I'm sure someone will do what I've done but better soon or simply exceed my score by pure progress. 

If any of my play here is considered not in the spirit of the competition, by all means please withdraw my scores. 

All the best everyone with this crazy little title. 🙂 I'll try not to make any more sorry jokes. 

Cheers
PEZ 

Thanks for the feedback. Like the post from @Ace1942, this game play is OK. There is a time limit and you cannot get extra lives indefinitely. 

I'm Sorry, but you all have to play this game even more now ... 😆  

• Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Evan04
      Hi everyone,
      I have created a MGL games list spreadsheet with every game from MGL8 to the most recent MGL50
      (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uixQzVqfA6EELvQ9qgGVzjfnl9VLIxWctxxFHrTsMQ4/edit?usp=sharing)
      MGL Organisers
      There has been many MLG organisers throughout the years which include @Amy @DKong @Jed @John73 @OOO
      MGL Winners
      Recent MGL winners which include:
      MGL30 winner: DaLar
      MGL31 winner: Barra
      MGL32 winner: DaLar
      MGL33 winner: Barra
      MGL34 winner: JasonV91
      MGL35 winner: Todayisforgotten
      MGL36 winner: DaLar
      MGL37 winner: Todayisforgotten
      MGL38 winner: Todayisforgotten
      MGL39 winner: JasonV91
      MGL40 winner: JasonV91
      MGL41 winner: JasonV91
      MGL42 winner: megaderek
      MGL43 winner: ILLSeaBass
      MGL44 winner: ILLSeaBass
      MGL45 winner: Blackflag82
      MGL46 winner: Rmacauley
      MGL47 winner: John McAllister
      MGL48 winner: Donald Hayes
      MGL49 winner: @ZNC
      Thanks to @Traceyfor the help on the spreadsheet 
      Feel free to comment below if I have missed anything thank you.

• By Evan04
      Hi everyone,
      I have created a personal MGL Games List with every MGL game I have played from (30/07/2019) - (21/09/2021)  Games List
      Incase the link isn't working here is all the games in text form:
      1. Swimmer
       2. Joust 2 
      3. Mr. TNT
       4. R-Type 
      5. Wardner 
      6. 10-Yard Fight
      7. Popeye 
      8. Black Tiger 
      9. Star Force 
      10. Super Pac-Man
       11. Tetris 
      12. Raiden 
      13. Mr Do's Wild Ride 
      14. Space Fury 
      15. 1942 
      16. Moon Patrol 
      17. Roc 'n' Rope
       18. Twin Cobra 
      19. Paperboy 
      20. Chicken Shift
       21. Satan's Hollow
       22. Super Pang 
      23. City Connection 
      24. Zippy Race
       25. Mappy 
      26. Frog & Spiders 
      27. Gravitar 
      28. Thief 
      29. P-47
       30. Triple Punch 
      31. The Deep
       32. Phoenix 
      33. Pac-Man Plus
       34. Bank Panic 
      35. Snap Jack 
      36. Van-Van Car
       37. Toobin'
       38. Son Son
       39. Galaxian
       40. Time Scanner
       41. Do! Run Run
       42. TNMT 
      43. Space Firebird
       44. Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom
       45. Cosmic Alien 
      46. New Zealand Story
       47. Vs. Dr. Mario
       48. Rolling Thunder 
      49. Lock 'N' Chase 
      50. Yie Ar Kung-Fu
       51. Joust 
      52. SWAT
       53. Moon Cresta
       54. Frogger
       55. Burger Time
       56. Zoo Keeper
       57. Return Of The Invaders 
      58. Flashgal 
      59. Anteater
       60. Dangerous Dungeons 
      61. Bagman 
      62. Rygar
       63. Mr F. Lea. 
      64. Venture 
      65. Ghosts 'n Goblins
       66. Vs Excitebike
       67. Fantasy Zone
       68. Mat Mania
       69. Psychic 5
       70. Intrepid
       71. Rootin' Tootin' 
      72. Robotron 
      73. Centipede
       74. Rampage
       75. Canyon Bomber
       76. Rally X
       78. Dig Dug
      79. Swimmer 
      80. Tinkle Pit
      81. Demon's World
      82. Elevator Action 
      83. Amidar 
      84. Tapper
      85. Jump Bug
      86. Sindbad Mystery
      87. Sunset Riders
      88. Circus Charlie
      89. Mr. Do!
      90. Lode Runner 4
      91. Blasteroids
      92. Lasso 
      93. Blood Bros.
      94. Rally Bike 
      95. Andro Dunos
      96. I'm sorry
      97. Wildwest Cowboys Of Moo Mesa
      98. Donkey Kong 
      99. Lunar Rescue 
      100. Track & Field 
      How many MGL games have you played?       Thank you for reading.

• By OOO
      After Day 1 of 59 ...

• By OOO
      How high can you jump? ...
      MGLL - Game 3 ~ Track & Field
      Nominated by gamer: @ZNC
      ROMSet: TrackFld

Game Story:
      Compete against other players in various Olympic events. Press the buttons as fast as possible to run faster. Use the action button to throw, jump, etc.
      Score Submissions:
      Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials. This game finishes Sunday 19-Dec-2021, 7pm Sydney time.
      Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No auto fire allowed. No stitching of INP files with save states. Single player only. No cheats allowed.
      Games can be played on the arcade machine. You must ensure the game is at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.
      Tool usage of any kind to assist in game control is not permitted. Only fingers on buttons are allowed.
      The buttons must be used for running, not the joystick. No mouse, no gloves and no joystick can be used for running.
      Please note the After Last Event Setting is Game Over.
      GAME 3 ... Athletics meet ... 

• By OOO
      Perils In Space ...
      MGLL - Game 2 ~ Lunar Rescue
      Nominated by gamer: @johnmcallister
      ROMSet: LRescue

Game Story:
      Player controls a lunar lander module that must navigate through a field of asteroids to the bottom of the screen, rescue an astronaut by landing on a plateau, and travel back up to the top through a swarm of flying saucers.
      Score Submissions:
      Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials. This game finishes Sunday 12-Dec-2021, 7pm Sydney time.
      Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No auto fire allowed. No stitching of INP files with save states. Single player only. No cheats allowed.
      Games can be played on the arcade machine. You must ensure the game is at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.
      GAME 2 ... Asteroids mayhem ...