Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

El Dorado City of Gold

Gday AA 

Glad you're back better than ever 

Recently put a plastic playfield protector on the pinball Very bad decision It really didn't fit and also altered gameplay So after five or so games removed it Only had to remove the flippers to remove But now the two right flippers are very weak Were fine with protector Both left still very strong Strange how both right flippers are weak Cleaned connectors changed coil sleeve but it's strange how both left flippers weak Any ideas please?

DB66

since you removed the flipper bats, are you able to pull up on the bat, like do you have some 'play' as in up/down movement?

just thinking that the flipper crank on the flipper shaft is too close the flipper bushing, causing resistance?

they need a couple mil play/movement up and down

Edited by Rich
  • Thanks 1

Gday Rich

Have played with the bats a bit Removed and reinstalled numerous times With the glass off the bats move freely just like the left hand side Same as with playfield raised and moving bats with flipper mechanism it's very smooth and strong Same as left flippers That's why I can't work out why they're weaker in gameplay

Thanks for replying

DB66

David

Gday Gemini2544  Nothing changed but bat removal I have checked all four EOS on flipper mechs All same Have installed new leaf switch on cabinet flipper buttons Thinking it must be something on boards? Next would be following wires coming from 2 left flippers

See what happens

David

13 hours ago, DB66 said:

Thinking it must be something on boards?

The flippers use 24VDC which is rectified on the transformer panel in the cabinet. Since all the flippers use the same voltage, and one side is fine, I doubt this voltage is a problem.

• Like 1

Yes  Even changed coil sleeves When you move them by hand under the playfield they move very freely same as left side They are not touching the playfield you can put a piece of between flipper and playfield so not dragging That's why it's a mystery (to me anyway) 

Piece of paper between flipper and playfield

Well,  you've eliminated the mechanical reasons so it has to be electrical.  Now, I'd be looking for a bad wiring connection at this point. Trace the wiring from flipper switch to PCB, your looking for any suss joints or signs of  burning/heat.

Gday Rich here are top (yellow paper) coil and bottom (red,no paper) coil pics Hope you can expand to see Eos open and closed 

David

IMG_20211014_164603_793.jpg

IMG_20211014_164547_951.jpg

IMG_20211014_164429_478.jpg

IMG_20211014_164358_095.jpg

Thanks Gemini2544 I'll get onto that tonight 

DB66

David

Gday Gemini2544 Was just about to send you pics of left side flippers and it turns out that that coil with the red is on the left and works 100percent Never used lubricants I've owned 17 pinballs and currently have 7 so I'm not entirely silly The top coil (yellow) has NO drag as I've said  Here are pics of bottom right 16341955687596417782759583196990.thumb.jpg.eaa092abb41bd817fdc8c9c41d2766bb.jpgflipper mech plus shot of under playfield to show that I'm not fibbing 

David

16341956133676322581619404906630.jpg

I do also have two new plungers Should I install these?

i get the flippers worked fine until the protector removal.

you are satisfied that the flippers all move freely.

i get you know your way around a pinball, so please don't be offended by the following.

personally i'd be removing and rebuilding each flipper mech.

'rebuilding' doesn't necessarily mean spending money, just give them some love and yourself peace of mind.

with wires from coils removed check resistance of each coil and ensure zero ohms resistance across all EOS switches, which i'd be filing/cleaning up.

polish each plunger, just to remove any discolouration, they are nickel plated steel and should come up a treat.

i notice one screw missing from the plate that sits in front of the coil in a pic.

i'd be wrapping up the coil without a wrapper on it, seeing that winding loose is a concern to me, even though it's insulated, better to be safe, if due to movement a part of that winding shorted to ground or broke.....Game Over.

where i see one wire that goes to an EOS, maybe the wire has been lengthened? make sure there isn't any resistance in the join, if possible remove the join all together.

remove tape and clean up all solder joins to lugs/terminals, the power wires to that red coil, and others have excess wire and looks very close the middle lug.

As the coils look original, i'd be changing the diodes on each coil also.

But i get can that all this is stuff you may not want or feel the need to do as they were all ok, but the above will only improve the flipper assemblies.

• Thanks 1

😔Gday Rich not offended at all just a bit frustrated Have checked the diodes on the coils and they test ok although I know that it's better to check them when they're off so I may as well install new ones Bottom right coil (weak) is new Top isn't Have done what Gemini2544 said and traced flipper wires back to board and it seems ok Did notice yesterday that there is a lot of sparking on right flipper button I know they do spark a bit but this seems to be more than usual Could that be a problem Did as Arcade King said and checked the ground wires It also seemed ok all the up to the driver board Will order flipper kits but would like to solve the problem before they arrive Anyone know why there's all that lightning coming from right flipper cabinet switch

Really appreciate everyone's help 

David

PS Couldn't get rid of that emoji at the beginning

From my experience excess sparking on points is a sign that they are dirty or contaminated. Since they are new try using a business card or the like ( not emery or sand paper) between the contacts. Also you could try checking the resistance across the points when the button is pushed in. Try that on both sides and see if you are getting as close to 0 ohms resistance.

• Thanks 1

Gday Kimbleseven Back in 1977 the original El Dorado was the only game I had access to Second machine I ever played 11 years old Formed a real live hate relationship with it More love though So when I saw one come up I grabbed it Had it 3 years and I so regret putting that playfield protector on Most parts are original and it used to play like new Everything but the right flippers still going strong Love this pin 

David