IGNORED

Cosmic Princess making an intermittent comeback...

Cosmic Chopper

Question

Hi,

I've had my Cosmic Princess Pinball in storage for over 20 years.......life got in the way of fun......

It's still in pretty good condition, I had it serviced before storage, and I have all the manuals, schematics etc.

I got it out recently and switched it on, and to my complete surprise, it came back to life.

Started playing and the smile on my face was growing wider with each press of the flipper buttons!

Unfortunately, smile was short lived as it just went blank, and everything seems to reset.

Switched it off, waited a few minutes and then switch it back on.

Completed a full game (3 balls), and then started another, but this time it reset after the second ball.

Have repeated the cycle a couple more times, and it resets at random times.

Any ideas on where I start looking first?

Am I better off getting a pro to have a look, and give it a service while they are there?

I reckon it's worth spending a couple of bucks to get it working properly again.

I'm in the Illawarra region of NSW.

Thanks in advance.IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.c510bbd31779d7c9cf13011ad05c214a.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

With any Stern and Bally game I service, I find it worthwhile to install a new rectifier board before doing anything else. Usually clears up issues such as this and it's a worthwhile upgrade anyway. You can upgrade the original if you like but at less than $100 for a new board, generally not worth the time. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a good place to start, thanks.

Where would I find a rectifier board?

And, how would I go about putting in the link cables?

As you can tell, I've only ever played them, never really looked under the bonnet.....

• Super Moderator

If you are not able to do any required repairs/upgrades I HIGHLY recommend Ken in Newcastle.  He is a long time AA sponsor and a top of the tree pinball tech. 

You would need to remove the boards and post them to him but as long as you number the connectors with a texta they are easy to replace.

You can find Ken in the sponsor section of the site.
Dave

Just now, furballx said:

If you are not able to do any required repairs/upgrades I HIGHLY recommend Ken in Newcastle.  He is a long time AA sponsor and a top of the tree pinball tech. 

You would need to remove the boards and post them to him but as long as you number the connectors with a texta they are easy to replace.

You can find Ken in the sponsor section of the site.
Dave

@Skybeaux

• Like 2

Keep in mind if you want to send the board away to have a new rectifier board installed, you'll have to send the transformer, too. Postage isn't cheap! 

Otherwise this kind of thing can be done in a service call in an hour or so. 

Thanks all for your replies.

Am leaning towards getting the entire machine serviced by a pro, who can go right over it and clean/repair/replace/upgrade as required.

It would then be able to be played and enjoyed, a lot quicker than if I was to attempt repairs and upgrades.

I am open to the idea of transporting it to a recommended tech's workshop, if that's the best solution.

I'll contact Ken and chat about options.

Alternately, am also thinking that if a pro comes to me, it could possibly save time, and any potential damage during transportation.

Any recommendations for mobile techs that would be willing to travel to northern suburbs of Wollongong?

G'day,

I've made contact with Ken.

I've decided to get him to give the machine a complete service.

It'll be awesome to have it running properly again, and show my young bloke what his old man did for fun, back in the days before mobile phones .....😁

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
On 10/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, Cosmic Chopper said:

G'day,

I've made contact with Ken.

I've decided to get him to give the machine a complete service.

It'll be awesome to have it running properly again, and show my young bloke what his old man did for fun, back in the days before mobile phones .....😁

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

Skybeaux for the WIN!

If the machine worked prior to being stored chances are your problem will be wiring connections related rather than board problems but you may be lucky. At least sending them to Ken takes out a board fault as your problem and he can put them on a test bench and test properly that would take you hours so pretty good value for money if you ask me.