IGNORED

How Can I Charge a Mobile Phone From Inside a Pinball

rusty_dagger

Question

OK kind of a random question.

I need to charge a mobile from inside a Stern running Spike 2. I would prefer it to be in the backbox but in the lower cabinet will be fine. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about doing this? Some quick research tells me its best not to do it from the USB on the board.

5 answers to this question

Is there a stable 5v line you could tap a USB female to?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Alligator-Clips-Female-Adapter-Cable/dp/B011IZQAPY

Failing that, the 240v comes in at the back? Tap that to a socket and just plug in a normal charger?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-10a-miniature-plug-base_p4430736

Could also use one of the female tails you've cut off gods know how many extension cords replacing the line cord on old machines...

Edited by ajfclark

Couple of questions. Is it a late model phone you want to charge or an earlier one and how much current do you want?.

I have heaps of USB ports set up around the farm house and the farmhouse works mostly off 12Vdc. I use them for charging phones, tablets etc but also for powering other full time 5volt devices like a signal booster for the TV antenna and the settop box.

The easiest way would be using the auto cigarette lighter/ USB port units most service stations carry but you can only get these for either 12vDC or 24vDC only operation.

There are multi voltage units input USBs on EBay and these are the ones I target as they work on any voltage from about 9volts to 40volts AC or DC.

Still 5vDC coming out of the USB port @3 -5amps but you can power it with a much larger voltage range plus AC or DC. The input you can wire to a transformer output, if your Stern still uses one or it's power supply if it has suitable voltage outputs.

This will give you a powered USB port while ever the machine is turned on. If you want the USB powered any time the machine is plugged in and not necessarily turned on, can do that as well but lets see exactly what your requirements are first.

45 minutes ago, Autosteve said:

Couple of questions. Is it a late model phone you want to charge or an earlier one and how much current do you want?.

I have heaps of USB ports set up around the farm house and the farmhouse works mostly off 12Vdc. I use them for charging phones, tablets etc but also for powering other full time 5volt devices like a signal booster for the TV antenna and the settop box.

The easiest way would be using the auto cigarette lighter/ USB port units most service stations carry but you can only get these for either 12vDC or 24vDC only operation.

There are multi voltage units input USBs on EBay and these are the ones I target as they work on any voltage from about 9volts to 40volts AC or DC.

Still 5vDC coming out of the USB port @3 -5amps but you can power it with a much larger voltage range plus AC or DC. The input you can wire to a transformer output, if your Stern still uses one or it's power supply if it has suitable voltage outputs.

This will give you a powered USB port while ever the machine is turned on. If you want the USB powered any time the machine is plugged in and not necessarily turned on, can do that as well but lets see exactly what your requirements are first.

A late model phone.

A combination of the options you have listed seem to be what others do. If I can pick up power from the bill acceptor board then to a hub.

Bill excepter should be OK for powering it as would the 12vDC the machine produces but just be careful how much current you pull. Pinballs have a habit of supplying just enough to suit there needs and little to spare that's why I suggested the AC from the transformer like the solonoid supply because it is overkill and you won't smoke it.

One test I suggest is place the phone inside where you would like it to be and charge it using it's normal charger and turn the pinball on. See if you get interference in the sound.

Some phones we charge cause a lot of noise so these phones are always plugged in a USB away from other electronic devices. You can sheild the phone to prevent this using a Faraday Cage. Funny, pinballs have a Faraday cage but it is the whole machine and putting a noise generating device like a charging phone inside the pinball's cage doesn't work. You can however put a cage within a cage and that will cure that problem

Cage doesn't need much, the pinballs Faraday cage is the ground braiding, the siderails, the front door and frame and the grounding in the head. Proving that is all connected to ground, no noise can travel out of the pinball or come inside.

Some phones and chargers don't cause interference, my mate's IPhone whistles like a kettle that drops in pitch as the battery charges but my Android nothing even though we are using the same charger port. I would try to confirm. If it does, you'll need and cage to isolate it when placed inside the pinball.