Jump to content
IGNORED

It seems I am not as silly as they thought


Recommended Posts

Every time I have mentioned my pinball collection with my parents, i am meet with ridicule. 
A stupid hobby to waste money on.  (My step-father owns a few classic Mercedes, but that is OK)
Until this week, the amusement auctions that have been going on, must have been mentioned on the ABC, and suddenly I am a shrewd investor

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pop Bumper Pete said:

Every time I have mentioned my pinball collection with my parents, i am meet with ridicule. 
A stupid hobby to waste money on.  (My step-father owns a few classic Mercedes, but that is OK)
Until this week, the amusement auctions that have been going on, must have been mentioned on the ABC, and suddenly I am a shrewd investor

Then I must be too

I just thought no point leaving money in the bank I'd rather enjoy it. Thus 5 years ago unknowingly I joined your club.

Do I get a membership number?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Then I must be too

I just thought no point leaving money in the bank I'd rather enjoy it. Thus 5 years ago unknowingly I joined your club.

Do I get a membership number?

yes...666

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I am a little sad it has turned into this. Dont get me wrong we all want to make money and know we have great investments....

But, for me...bring back the days of affordable games like Shadow, no fear, Congo and Roadshow, and many other B/W of the time so new players are not scared off!

You should not have to spend 5k minimum on a piece of shit.

There will always be the haves and haves not....

I have always shared my collection to all that would like to play, Honestly, the current situation makes me a little sad....

 

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pop Bumper Pete said:

Every time I have mentioned my pinball collection with my parents, i am meet with ridicule. 
A stupid hobby to waste money on.  (My step-father owns a few classic Mercedes, but that is OK)
Until this week, the amusement auctions that have been going on, must have been mentioned on the ABC, and suddenly I am a shrewd investor

I have found it is because some people, particularly those from older generations, have no idea how to relax and have fun. Everything has to be a job, a side hustle, or a scheme to make money. If it doesn't make money, particularly if it's associated with something "childish", then it's a waste of time. That's why the Mercedes collection is fine (Mercedes = money). Often these people have absolutely nothing going on in their lives so they ridicule those who have found a way to enjoy and spend their time. 

At the end of the day, you do you, and stuff what anyone else says. 

NB. Not saying the above applies to your parents specifically. Just a generalisation. 

Edited by ocyen
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, ocyen said:

I have found it is because some people, particularly those from older generations, have no idea how to relax and have fun. Everything has to be a job, a side hustle, or a scheme to make money. If it doesn't make money, particularly if it's associated with something "childish", then it's a waste of time. That's why the Mercedes collection is fine (Mercedes = money). Often these people have absolutely nothing going on in their lives so they ridicule those who have found a way to enjoy and spend their time. 

At the end of the day, you do you, and stuff what anyone else says. 

NB. Not saying the above applies to your parents specifically. Just a generalisation. 

Hey Alex, I turned 60 last week, am I from an older generation, you young whipper snapper you. My mother is 88 and yes she thinks i'm stupid for spending money on pinballs. Some of my friends think its cool, most don't get it. Anyway as you say you do you regardless of the ney sayers.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cursed said:

Honestly, I am a little sad it has turned into this. Dont get me wrong we all want to make money and know we have great investments....

But, for me...bring back the days of affordable games like Shadow, no fear, Congo and Roadshow, and many other B/W of the time so new players are not scared off!

You should not have to spend 5k minimum on a piece of shit.

There will always be the haves and haves not....

I have always shared my collection to all that would like to play, Honestly, the current situation makes me a little sad....

 

Agreed

The current situation has turned me off and I for one can’t wait to be completely rid of them and out of the game altogether. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dedrok said:

Agreed

The current situation has turned me off and I for one can’t wait to be completely rid of them and out of the game altogether. 

I dunno what to say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

? I think it is a great time to be in the hobby
more manufacturers mean more games , if people want to get caught up on FOMO or "I must have an LE" then that is their problem
I like the fact there are people out there who are making mods and/or parts to keep the games running. on some 40 year old games you can buy every part that makes the game new

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pop Bumper Pete said:

? I think it is a great time to be in the hobby
more manufacturers mean more games , if people want to get caught up on FOMO or "I must have an LE" then that is their problem
I like the fact there are people out there who are making mods and/or parts to keep the games running. on some 40 year old games you can buy every part that makes the game new

Really? I see this as the worst time for the hobby in the 10 years or so I have been part of it. Prices sky rocketing, pins out of reach of the every man and a ridiculous amount of money flooding into the hobby. I used to keep a pin for 6 months, then sell it to buy something new. I don't do that anymore because the market has gone insane and I am too scared to let go of what I have, in case I will never be able to get anything good again. Dire pieces of shit are selling for 4k and 5k these days and it's just sad that this is what the hobby has become.

Same thing is happening in the arcade scene and the same thing happened to the console scene a long time ago. The console scene is a good comparison to what is happening in pinball right now. Go back 10 years and I used to scour flea markets for consoles and games and I used to find heaps at great prices. I amassed a solid collection that I was really happy with. Slowly but surely, retro collecting became popular, especially with young people looking to make a quick buck. I noticed more and more dedicated retro stores popping up at markets, and every single one of them was run by a profit driven asshole who gave no shits about the games they were buying or selling, it was just about the money they could make from it. In Brisbane, we had around 5 retro collectors who were just buying up everything and then flipping it for obscene profits. They were proud of it as well. Facebook Marketplace made it all infinitely worse and you saw the creation of retro buy sell groups that were run by just the absolute worst of the profit driven assholes.

Now we have the explosion in popularity of pinball, which is fantastic to bring in new players and in Brisbane, we have the best pinball scene in the entirety of Australia. But because of that, the money has flooded in and now the prices are so insane, it's just not worth buying stuff anymore.

Makes me sad, but the same thing is happening to every bloody hobby in the world, so I guess it's just the way of the market right now.

I haven't bought anything in over a year, and I don't see myself buying much in the future either. Not due to a lack of funds, I've got the cash, I just don't want to pay the prices. 

Reading back over this, I've said nothing at all that hasn't been said a million times by others, I just felt the need to vent.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played i my first game of pinball when i was 5 years old friends of the family just down the road had a gotlieb mustang right from that very first game i was hooked n thought then that one day i would have my own pinball machine and as many as i could get my hands on when ever i was down at their place i was always pestering them for a game flashing lights rolling ball buttons to press scores to beat loved the sounds of the score reels turning over fun fun fun then fifteen years later when i bought my first pin it did raise my parents eyebrows and the question was asked what the hell are you doing wasting money on such things for you should be saving for a house  it was something they said to me quite often  which i regularly ignored and spent my money on what ever i wanted its funny because i am now saying the exact same things to my mates kids save your money n buy a house i suspect that it falls on deaf ears just like it did when my olds used to say it to me i did point out to my parents that the pinball machine was an investment and if i sited it somewhere it would make money but i think they knew i had no intention of putting it somewhere where it could make me money i also made the argument that it would save me money because i wouldnt be pumping coins into somebody elses game they just smiled shook  their heads n walked away i have never had more than 3 pinballs at any one time even when i was homeless i still had one machine at a mates place  i only have 3 pinballs now but like Railways sez there is always one machine in the back of your mind that you have always wanted but prices these days do seem to be rather excessive i will pay whatever is being asked for a machine if i think it is worth it and not even bother about haggeling but crikey ive seen a few of late asking 20 gand for a pinball machine thats a lot of the folding to fork out the missus dose come out n play a game of doubles every now n then and she dose genuinely enjoy playing them she dosent have the passion for for pinball that i do whenever i say to her i would like to buy another machine she replies not another bloody pnballmachine but she knows and realizes and has even said to me recently what a  good investment  they are just based on the amount of time i spend playing them 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dedrok said:

Agreed

The current situation has turned me off and I for one can’t wait to be completely rid of them and out of the game altogether. 

I said exactly the same words to my wife weeks back, it's sad what it has become.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I went back to my love of pinball & arcades in the late 90's, It was a good time to be in the pinball market as you could pick up a broken EM for $200 or a 12 month old Williams I.J for $2500. I miss those days and although I'm lucky enough to have eleven pins & 3 arcades today, I find this hobby now totally stuffed up by the greedy flip happy money grabbers. This is why I now swap machines rather than use cash. Spending endless hours trying to find a replacement game then trying to check it out in person has gone to the dogs, once you find something if you don't jump on it.......It's gone in an hour.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
9 minutes ago, peely said:

Many of us wanted pinball to become more popular.

Well, here we are.

True.

There was a big push to get pinball into the mainstream and like you said here we are.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arcade King said:

True.

There was a big push to get pinball into the mainstream and like you said here we are.

Probably more arcades and pinballs now than what there was when I was a kid. Problem is they are in people's private houses and not on the street for all to share and in turn, make the hobby more open to all.

Thank the people that maintain such fine collections of pinballs , yes but is this exactly what is needed to increase the popularity of pinball and make it prosper into the future?. That I'm not real sure of.

As for the price to own a pinball. Cost me $200 to buy my 1st SS, a 3 year old Strikes and Spares Ex op machine working. At that same time it cost me $2.50 to put 9 liters of fuel in my motor bike.

The personal ownership of pinballs and in someones house was always rather rare but they were everywhere on the streets. Nowdays that trend has completely reversed.

Personally I think the easiest answer to pricing increases may be simply going back to collecting just pinballs as in one or a couple and not arcades rivalling some pinball arcades I used to see in George Street Sydney when I was much younger.

If you really care about pinball and it's future, do you really need 1 or 2 dozen locked away for your own personal use when you choose to and who you believe worthy of playing them?.

There is more than enough to go round. All we have to do is learn to be less gready. If you can get some out in the streets and charge for the privilage, that is what they are made to do and that will do more for the future of pinball and it's exposure than building an arcade all for yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't gone out to buy another pin since 2017 when I paid around $1400 for a Gottlieb EM Grand Slam which I thought was reasonable. Reason why no more?  I've got all the machines I'd ever want and more importantly, Mrs Bossninja has said 'No! '. When I see prices pins are now going for,  I shake my head. This is another reason why I won't be in the market to buy. Other pins in my collection were mostly bought from AA members over the last 20 years where fair prices were asked and paid. We live in a market economy and prices = what the buyer is prepared to pay.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Autosteve said:

Do you really need 1 or 2 dozen locked away for your own personal use when you choose to and who you believe worthy of playing them?.

I do, no machines or public sites available to me for hundreds of kilometers in any direction, with the exception of some other privately owned machines.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought my first pin 13 years ago I paid 2k for a frank Thomas big hurt. A couple of years later I bought my house for 311k. Fast forward 13 years my house is “worth” around 700k and that same FTBH would be about 4-5k. I’d preferred to be priced out of pins than buying a house! Bring back 300k houses! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn't afford my collection now, if I had to buy them all. Having said that very few people go out and but lots of pinnie's all at once. It's a gradual increase in the collection.

I would like more or to trade up, but the prices make me happy to sit where I am...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...