Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Looking to Learn about CRT TV/VCR Repairs from someone based in Adelaide

Gency

Question

Hi

my name is Sam I'm 26 Years and Live in Adelaide South Australia. My Hobbie is archiving Used Recorded VHS and Betamax Video Tapes with Australian TV shows and Commercials. I am interested in Electronics particularly Old CRT Colour TVs and VCRs.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum or someone they might know who is working and Retired ex Electrician who used to work on CRT TV or VCR Repair in a Electrical Repair shop or Rental Repair dept like eg Radio Rentals, Electronics Sales and Rentals, Ernsmiths, Thorn EMI, Canberra TV or Tandy's The Repair Shop.

I would love to learn about fixing Electronics and Meeting you. Been ringing around to find places to source TVs and VCRs. Have quite a List of Places.

Get in contact with me

swagstarsam@gmail.com

Gency

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 6.28.31 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 6.28.46 pm.png

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, Gency said:

Looking to find and maybe repair 2 things for my collection

1 a 16 Input Output analog Video Router for my converting set up as my current set up is a mess video switchers and piggy back cables everywhere don't know where some of them go.

2 for when I have my own place one day a late 1970s Early 1980s NEC made rebadged "Rank Arena CRT Colour TV" finished in Wood with a RF Plug and VHF/UHF Knobs to Play VHS and Betamax Video Tapes on. me and my friends have a thing for obscure electronics brands eg National, Rank Arena, HMV, Astor and AWA

19 minutes ago, Gency said:

@AskJacobI am a Fan of Oddity archive. Subbed on You Tube. I have a friend in Brisbane who I send VHS Tapes to who is Facebook friends with Ben from Oddity Archive

matrix_switch_msc_v1664_16_x_64_854452.jpg

matrix_switch_msc_xv1616l_16x16_output_composite_analog_1330639.jpg

rank-arena-television-1-090314.jpg

Plus have a Friend in Melbourne who is Looking for a 1990s or early 2000s Philips CRT TV/VCR for his Collection

s-l400.jpg

I don't have a switcher as such, but I am sure that somewhere I have some 16x16 crosspoint video switcher ICs I got as samples years ago if that is of interest.  I fyou had asked about 15 years ago I was pulling out the old video distribution system from a university and turfed several 16x16 video switches... I didn't want to chuck 'em but even my giant pile of crap couldn't handle any more

@AskJacobSounds like it. I will get back to you on that. How Many do you have from the Uni? Just looking for one. I will talk to my friend who is into Hobbie Electronics "Emmanuel" he collects a lot of CRT TVs, TV Cameras and more. also volunteers for Channel 44 Adelaide's Community TV station and works for Channel 7 here is Adelaide

@Limorange @AskJacob already have E Waste, Skip, Hard Rubbish, Rubbish Removal and Scrap Metal Places in Adelaide Looking out for me. But if you can help that would be great

26 minutes ago, Gency said:

@AskJacob My Friend asked is the Video Switcher it Analogue? if it's a SDI it won't work with my set up

I don't have any of the old gear left. It was all analogue, made in australia too with plug in cards for multiple channels. I do have some of the lovely chunky illuminated switches from the panels, but everything else went to e-waste.

All I have now is some Maxim sample integrated circuits - which are a long way off from a complete unit!

I'm happy to see there is still some people out there who want that kind of stuff. If I come across stuff like it again I will try and connect people to it before it becomes e-waste...

Generally speaking your hobby is primarily analog as you probably already know, but crossing over to digital in the early 90s, and that was before everyone documented everything on the internet ...That switcher for example like alot of my equipment is best reversed engineered for 2 reasons,  one being its age, history, and possible old filter caps, And the other is to gain an electrical understanding of it far beyond a manual even if you could find one (The Fluke 9010 on my bench at the moment comes to mind, horrible beast to learn)...Anyway my guess without looking at it, and being analog be nature, it probably needs a bias resistance load of some kind on the out side, to draw signal, That was actually how we linked test gear together back in the day...Crts are a little more forgiving under these conditions, and are quite well documented (parts are a big deal anymore) but what you probibally won't hear is...MIT radiation laboratory (#23, I believe) is a encyclopedia set of WW2 post war secrets dealing with a whole host of information on the subject, although it does require a deep rooted understanding in the physics and math especially as it relates to valve style power supply technology.