Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

8 ohm 3 watt speaker replacement

I have to replace an 8 ohm 3 watt speaker its 120mm x 120mm and screws into the wood in a way that has a hole for the speaker to sit over and to the side of the hole is three lines cut all the way through for the sound to go through, I guess it's done this way to enhance the bass I'm looking for 120mm to match the hole but the ones I've seen are 100mm and 5 watt is it OK to use 5 watt over 3 watt and how do I find one that's good quality as the ones Ives seen have a silver cone in the centre but my ripped old speaker doesn't have the silver round cone in the centre also is 4 ohm good to use or do they have to be 8 ohm it's from Street Fighter 2 CE but later will have some sort of Pandora box

20210915_223533.jpg

Edited by Potostew42

• Administrators

The wattage of the speaker is just the maximum rated input power it can accept. So going higher is not and issue, within reason. You really would not want to put a 1000W speaker onto a 2.5W amplifier. If you go lower, you run the risk of blowing up the speaker. So the 5W speaker is fine as a replacement. The cone in the centre of the speaker you are referring to is just a cover and has no real major affect on the quality of the speaker at this sort of size and usage. Ideally if it was fitted with an 8 ohm speaker, you should try to replace it with an 8 ohm speaker, however nearly every amplifier is designed to drive either 4 ohm or 8 ohm loads, so even a 4 ohm speaker should work fine and as long as you are not running the system at 100% volume, will not damage the amplifier.

it looks like an early Bally pinball speaker.

my understanding is the amplifier itself designed to run 4 or 8 ohm speakers, or even 16.

using a 4 ohm speaker with an amp designed for a resistance of 8 ohms will cause it to overheat and eventually die.

and vice versa you would have to turn up the pot more with an 8 ohm speaker in place of a 4 ohm to get the same level of volume.

but if you can't find an 8 ohm equivalent you can put a 3.9 ohm 5W resistor in series with one of the wires.

for the time being you can repair the one you have as you mention changing your set up down the track.

in the past i've used aviation no:4 sealant

OK thanks everyone Rich its not a Bally it's a Plessey or Foster both names are printed on the back 

I've looked in the online manual for CPS1 Street fighter 2 champion edition but it doesn't say anything about speaker requirements so I'll stick with 8 ohm, later I would like to add a trim pot to adjust the volume straight from the speaker wire to the outside of the cabinet for easy access even though there is one on the pcb should I use an amp in some way for this

20210918_233004.jpg

all good mate, i knew it wasn't a Bally speaker, just that it looked like one and mentioned that in case someone had done a speaker upgrade in their pin and had a spare lying you could use to get you out of trouble for the ti,e being.