IGNORED

VPGL 19 - Game 6 ~ Quicksilver - Closed

GAME 6.... And we're playing with the fastest moving pinball ever...

VPGL 19 - Game 6 ~ Quicksilver

Nominated by VPGL legend, skids

Stern Quicksilver Pinball Machine #1 - Pinballmania LLC

Quicksilver was released by Stern in 1980 and is a 4 player Solid State pinball machine.

Design by:     Joe Joos Jr.
Art by:     Doug Watson
Mechanics by:     Joe Joos Jr.
Software by:     Bill Pfutzenreuter
Notes:     Compare the backglass artwork to the magazine cover of the July 1978 issue of Heavy Metal magazine.

The VPX file can be downloaded here:

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=36393

The B2S can be downloaded here:

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=29619

The ROM can be downloaded here:

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=743

Downloads linked are just suggestions, you can play on any VPX version or the table as long as it is the same rule set (IE Pro, LE etc.). You can let us know what version you are playing and why you play that one in the thread if you like.

There were version of this game lost with the VPinball site closure. If someone wants those versions, feel free to share amongst yourselves.

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a photo or screen shot showing your score. This game finishes Sunday 22 August 2021, Midnight Sydney time.

3 ball is default for this game so that is what we are playing.

No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game.

Game on... who will be able to take control of Quicksilver?

• Like 1

I haven’t gone close to my posted high score but I’ve learnt a thing or two about how to get the best out of this incredible table. Of course I’m not using my physics mods for competition and I’m sharing this to those interested in trying out how slick this table is. I was curious as to why it was  called the fastest pinball table ever because it certainly wasn’t the table I was playing. I fealt that the table bumpers and table in general are sluggish, I couldn’t see the ball behind the centre target bank and around the top bumpers, the game lights were weak and the flippers unresponsive to centre saves. Having said all this with a few tweaks it is possible to see what this table is all about and it’s a rush. The game can be over in a blink of an eye and at times it is impossible at times to track the ball. Then in an instant with flipper up you can trap the ball and control shots. How did that happen?

The table runs like grease lightning with normal friction and elasticity. 0.02 friction and 0.025 playfield elasticity.  This also brings the bumpers to life enabling the possibility of hitting the SILVER targets. To improve ball tracking I added character lighting to the top two playfield characters, changed the bumper colour to red pegs and changed the gi colour to pastel green. This gives a nice contrast between the plastics and the table and makes it easier to see the ball.  

Increasing the flipper mass to 2 and strength to 2500 Gives more chance of saving the ball. The table is hard enough without the ability to centre save. 

If you are interested I’m more than happy to share my VPX7 mod but as always playing this mod is outside the bounds of what is fair and reasonable in this competition

9D7B0D9E-37BA-4CD3-AB2C-FF7DC1722BC4.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legin said:

The drop targets in my game stay down and dont reset after you hit them all.  This happens on both banks.  Does this happen to anyone else?

For me, complete the right bank and get +1X and the targets resest, complete them again and get nothing and they stay down until end of ball. Can only get +1X per ball.

The left bank maybe 3 times they'll reset then stay down until end of ball. Like I said, hard to score big on this table.

Edited by kane
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, legin said:

The drop targets in my game stay down and dont reset after you hit them all.  This happens on both banks.  Does this happen to anyone else?

Yeh. You can drop the target banks twice per ball , then they stay down and reset at the next ball. My strategy is to right flipper trap the ball and hit the left kicker 4 times before attempting to Knock the centre targets down. That gives a possibility of 160K per ball from that target bank. I tend to go to the right target bank after that to increase the X bonus but that doesn't normally end well. The left spinner can give 2000 per spin when lit and I haven't got that worked out yet. I might have to change my strategy to  hit the left lane to light up quick. Definitely trapping the ball to aim is essential to having a longer and sometimes productive game. Happy to receive any tips.

Edited by RusstyT
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2021 at 10:02 PM, kane said:

My profile pic used to say "Jump Man At Work", but the new forum cut off the bottom, so now it's just "Jump Man" 🤪

How Aussie is that. Trunkate every persons name. I like the logo did you draw him? It’s got me intrigued. I was sometimes called action man at work because always looked half asleep. Go figure. Have you managed to light up quicksilver. I’ve let up QUICK a few times but can’t see a flashing light to hit to get the extra ball. 

1 hour ago, RusstyT said:

How Aussie is that. Trunkate every persons name. I like the logo did you draw him? It’s got me intrigued. I was sometimes called action man at work because always looked half asleep. Go figure. Have you managed to light up quicksilver. I’ve let up QUICK a few times but can’t see a flashing light to hit to get the extra ball. 

The Jump Man pic was from an old DK sticker -> LINK

I did light all of QUICKSILVER once, nothing happened that I could tell, good for bonus though. I never saw the EB light flash ever.

• Like 1