IGNORED

Gunna Fathom am i going to finish this

1 hour ago, Nick64 said:

Sorry to hear you have soft neighbours , keep up the great work ..

Now that I have the bug. 

I will be sanding pinballs cabs till the end of the year..

I was respectful as I done it after 10am and didn't do anything late

Edited by Pinoffski
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pinoffski said:

Now that I have the bug. 

I will be sanding pinballs cabs till the end of the year..

I was respectful as I done it after 10am and didn't do anything late

Yer, we use to do cabinet repairs when the machines were current as well. I do remember a Supersonic that someone burnt into the side, "I was here". Didn't have access to stencils or at least the time frame they would have arrived, that machine wouldn't have been in such a demand and Goddards probably operated about 20 Supersonics.

Sanded the side after making a couple of stencils and simply painted it. One thing that was good about early SS machines, you can do it yourself it need be.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wiredoug said:

urgh no.. its a metallic earth plane dave you cant paint it.    You can replace it with new metal if you like but dont go painting.

Thanks Doug..

Very much appreciated the reply. 

I will try to clean it .

F    it looks like crap. 

I am in to deep but if I can find some nice stainless steel I may do it ..

The sanding is a pain in the arse but when it’s done, well all that effort is soooo worth getting it right. 

See if Jeff has some stainless laying around?

Looking bloody good mate. It will be nicer than my remake👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOKERPOKER said:

The sanding is a pain in the arse but when it’s done, well all that effort is soooo worth getting it right. 

See if Jeff has some stainless laying around?

Looking bloody good mate. It will be nicer than my remake👍

Thanks Will have to see.

I have picked one of the hardest pinball to re stencil for my first time doing this.

If I f it up will just have to get another stencil...

I've just "tidied up" a Playboy and with that panel I just hit it with Nifti then Metho. behind where the boards normally sit I tried autosol and variants but nup, just a good clean was needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave, I've had 3 Fathoms over 20 years and the best Dark Blue match I've found is a colour  Carribean Blue. Having said that my Fathom has a mismatched head box and cabinet serial numbers and the dark Blue is very different between head and cab.

Hardest colour to match I feel is the citrus/ lime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pinoffski said:

Cleaned the back it looks better but not great 

Resized_20210911_220806.thumb.jpeg.cedbb2fb362cbc9b9f6918ada925be23.jpeg

With the Playboy I took all the support brackets off and wiring clamps and just cleaned as my other post. used autosol on those board support brackets, put the wire clamps in the dishwasher.

dave mate, don't overthink it.

A good mate of mine was rebuilding a 6M$M 10 years ago with all that stainless stuff and its still in pieces. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Dave, you can get some pretty successful results cleaning up metal plate using flap wheels from Bunnings.  NOT the usual ones that are all emery cloth, but the ones that are a piece of Scotchbrite pad then a piece of emery alternately.  Not too hard on the meatal.  Unfortunately they re not cheap but if you had a big Scotchbrite pad you could probably make a circular pad for an old flat rubber disk for the drill.  I mean the ones that used a screw with a washer to hold a piece of 40 or 60 grit on the disk.   Not too hard on the soft aluminium. 

You can also buy a harder hand polishing pad (similar to Scotchbrite but grey colour) which give an awesome satin finish if you use it in a circular motion.  I use you use it on swords and armour so it did not look too shiny and mechanically polished.  20 years ago I had a supplier who would staple the Scothbrite pads ans some nylon mouniting disks into a wheel for the bench grinder.  Save me hundreds of hours of cleaning time over the years! 

Dave

• Like 1

that ground plane looks like that foil faced cardboard that Bally changed to from the aluminium, need to be careful not to cut through if it is.

it would be much easier to clean with the pcb brackets removed, maybe try a magic eraser and windex/novus?

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My fathom has the exact cardboard stuff and was mouldy. Impossible to clean.

The import food business next door uses the same cardboard in huge pallet size sheets. It goes under the cartons of food when shipping on pallets. 

They gave me a couple of sheets last time they had a delivery that used it - I could ask them to keep aside a sheet or 2 if you wanted? No idea when it would be though. 

It’s the same foil card as OG. Also conductive.

image.jpg

Edited by Cooked71
  • Like 3

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, Rich said:

that ground plane looks like that foil faced cardboard that Bally changed to from the aluminium, need to be careful not to cut through if it is.

it would be much easier to clean with the pcb brackets removed, maybe try a magic eraser and windex/novus?

Uggghh, really?  That is some cheap-arsed shit there for sure.  I have only ever seen the full metal plate, never seen the card crap.

i that case Dave @Pinoffski forget everything I typed earlier 🙂 

• Like 2