Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Backglass Markseal

Currently tidying up a Bally Playboy and the backglass is pretty good so I want to seal it.

I'm chasing a new unopened tin of Markseal if possible.

I've used the stuff before and highly rate it. (not interested in Krylon).

I've spoken to Mark at Playwell games a few times and they are having trouble getting someone to make it due to one of the ingredients now being discarded due to V.O.C. regulations.

Anyhoo, watcha got oh learned people.

• Like 1

looks like his own brand?  wonder if its a kbs product?   

id suggest you ask him who made it and get the proper name or look at something like kbs diamondcoat.

or just have your painter clear it with a 2k auto clear

Edited by wiredoug
  • Like 2

I know its oil based and not water based.

It is his own formula apparently and he's had several different companies brew it up for him with varying degrees of success. One batch was too opaque and not crystal clear which is why I like using it as you can apply even over the score windows and you'd never know its there. That also helps seal the art around the edges of the windows as well.  It also has very good self leveling characteristics as well so you end up with a nice even coat provided you set the backglass up properly

I have heard that Cabots story before but I'd hate to use the wrong one and ruin a perfectly good backglass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Railways said:

It is his own formula apparently and he's had several different companies brew it up for him with varying degrees of success. One batch was too opaque and not crystal clear which is why I like using it as you can apply even over the score windows and you'd never know its there. That also helps seal the art around the edges of the windows as well.  It also has very good self leveling characteristics as well so you end up with a nice even coat provided you set the backglass up properly

I have heard that Cabots story before but I'd hate to use the wrong one and ruin a perfectly good backglass.

Fortune favours the brave Jeff. What could possibly go wrong🤔😳

• Like 3

The VOC thing is causing so many coatings to leave the shelves or "reformulate" into pale shadows of themselves. I wish they could keep a "pro" edition of them around, and sell the other stuff to the crayon chewers out there...

• Like 1

Given marks track record it’s probably just water in a tin 

But seriously  if it’s in good nic now that it’s 44 years old I’m sure it will last 20 years plus as is. especially with LEDs behind it now , if it ain’t Broke don’t fix it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 20/08/2021 at 3:26 PM, Railways said:

What did you end up going with Jeff ?

I've got a couple here that I'm wanting to seal but not sure on what's beast 🤔 

1 hour ago, clarky351 said:

What did you end up going with Jeff ?

I've got a couple here that I'm wanting to seal but not sure on what's beast 🤔 

I ended up getting a small tin of another AA member that has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. He opened it for me and it still looks the goods so he gave me 3 of his backglasses including a really shitty one to try on 1st in case its gone off. Hopefully it'll work out OK???

I gave up ringing Markseal as I got the same old story everytime.

• Like 3

On 05/01/2022 at 7:20 AM, Boots said:

I have used Krylon triple thick before and didn't like it, it is not perfectly clear, but the Crystal Clear Varnish they make is really good and I use it all the time, even for sealing playfield touchups.

Delayed reply from my end but no, I will never use Krylon triple thick myself. 

A long time mate of mine has had a small tin on the shelf for a couple or years and he's kindly opened it with trepidation and it all still looks clear with no funny smells or melt on the underside of the lid.

To seal the the deal (LOL-pardon the pun ) part of the work is he's given me is a nasty looking Stern one to try the mix on 1st - nothing ventured , nothing gained I guess.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just an update on this.

The Markseal in the tin I got from @MrMaloo worked a treat. Thanks Scotto. The product was fine and easily did the 5 backglasses with the shitty Stern one being the test case first and probably then half a tin left over.

Also it seems that Playwell (Mark) has the new version finally back in stock.

Pinball Backglass Sealant Markseal | Pinball.com.au

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Please let us know of your results and experiences
if favourable, I have a few I would like to do

If you need a hand Brett I'm happy to show you my method or pop around and I'll show you the 4 I currently have here.

• Like 3