IGNORED

World Cup Soccer 94 Needing Some Help

JustAnotherRat

Question

I bought a WCS94 and it was mostly working fine but after a number of games I have started to find issues and being a repair rookie and hoping to get some guidance repairing the following issues.

1. The Final Draw/TV scoop was working fine. I put some LED's into the game and noticed a short time after that it would detect a ball going into the scoop when it went near it, I thought that it may have been lights effecting the opto in there so adjusted the lights so they didn't shine so brightly towards it but now it doesn't register a ball going into the scoop. I have tried cleaning the opto's but it didn't help. This is now resolved and was a problem with the optos themselves.
  2. When I start a game, it puts a ball into the shooter lane followed by a second ball a second or two after. If I take one out and put in in the drain, it just shoots another one up. This has made the game completely unplayable unfortunately. I've tried cleaning the optos thinking it may have been the issue, I have tried replacing the balls with new ones as I had read that magnetised balls could be the issue but it didn't change anything and I have also added a 3D printed "WPC Speed Wedge with integrated tapered Trough-protector". This has been resolved by fixing a broken wire on the Free Kick switch
  3. When shooting a ball around the loop, it is supposed to be blocked what I'm going to call a gate as I don't know the proper name. It seems that it isn't strong enough and bends under and allows the ball through of almost every shot (should only open when Travel is lit). Does it need a tighter spring? Is that even an option? Is there something else I should be checking? The magnet only engages when travel is lit so that side of it is fine, it's when the gate is meant to be closed that is a problem.
  4. It has developed two errors causing a credit dot. "CHECK SWITCH 26 KICKBACK UPPER" and "CHECK SWITCH 28 LIGHT KICKBACK". Are these related? I don't know how to find what kickback the errors are referring to. What do I test? These are now fixed
  5. Is it worth buying Cliffys? I like the idea of them and there is a little wear around the kickout's and the scoop so I think they'll be good but I've read that they ruin the game play. I've ordered these. I've decided it's worth preserving the playfield. If I don't like them I'll consider removing them. They will take a while to get here as Cliffy said he is about 4 weeks behind.
  6. I'm thinking of adding mylar underneath where the ball drops from the ramps to the playfield. Is that a reasonable thing to do?
  7. The RH sling stopped working but I have found that there is a broken bracket which I can order from RTBB so that will be resolved.
  8. The soccer ball was spinning the wrong way. I have unsoldered the wires and connected them the right way.
  9. Am purchasing mirror blades from Railways.
  10. I plan on purchasing a LED kit from Babak at Pinball Haus, is that a good choice? (not the whole LED v incandescent argument, just whether there is a better seller). This has been ordered. Some has turned up and other parts are still on their way. I have only installed the ones for the backbox as trying to rectify the faults has been more important. I'm not fully happy with the colour choices and will probably make a few changes.

I'm not sure if I've covered everything, but I think that'll do for now. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. There's time, but I need to get this baby working well for Pinfest, I guess that means I probably should order flipper rebuild kits.

• Like 1

With regards to the TV scoop problem,  I finished testing wires and boards and couldn't find any fault so I sat and pondered all I had done. I still kept going back to the emitter and receivers. I kept asking myself, if they test right and have the right voltage supplied to them, what could be the problem?

I replaced them both (as previously mentioned) I replaced the emitter first and when it didn't work I replaced the receiver as I thought they were the fault but it didn't fix anything. I had what I thought was the right voltage to them though so thought maybe the emitter itself was faulty on the new part. I whipped out the mobile phone and looked at the opto with it and I couldn't see it like I could the others I checked so I removed just the emitter and put a new one it. Checked it with a mobile phone and it was nice and bright like the others. Whip it in and found the fault still there, crap. The receiver tested OK with a torch but was still maybe a problem? I swapped the old one back in and bam.... the bloody thing works.

So... new receiver was a dud. the new emitter was a dud. Am now using the old receiver and a new emitter with a replacement emitter soldered to the new board.

What a shit... two faulty new parts causing me to spend hours trying to chase a fault I had diagnosed correctly in the first place.

In my testing, I managed to fry an old emitter board so now I have to buy another new one which is a shit considering if the new one worked I wouldn't have touched that one but anyway, I'll move on.

I have found another problem that needs fixing, but it will be an easy fix. I have found that there is a flat metal piece that moves side to side to block the optos for the goalkeeper but there is no clip holding it on and it therefore hits the optos rather than sliding in front of them. 

• Like 1

I'm not really much of a mod's kind of guy, but there have been a few of things I've wanted to do on this game.

So I took the plunge and started with some.

Plunger update
image.png.022db503ed8df1780d57490e82002f06.png

I am planning on putting a ball at the entrance of the left ramp and a 3D printed World Cup trophy at the entrance of the right just about the (Final Draw) TV scoop. I might do the speaker panels like I've seen others do and the only other thing I'd like to do would be to put a figure of Striker (the dog) up near the goal but I don't know exactly how this would work and I also don't think I will find a figure or even a 3D printable one to use.

• Like 1

I haven't read the whole thing but have you cleaned the optos.. When I had I.J, I had Opto issues that didn't make sense. I read somewhere to clean both the TX & RX optos with a cotton earbud & Windex. Laugh if you wish, but it worked.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gemini2544 said:

I haven't read the whole thing but have you cleaned the optos.. When I had I.J, I had Opto issues that didn't make sense. I read somewhere to clean both the TX & RX optos with a cotton earbud & Windex. Laugh if you wish, but it worked.

Yeah thanks. I did clean them, unfortunately it didn't help. Opto issues are resolved now though. 

• Like 2