Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Aussie Arcade Migration to IPS4 Roadmap

• Administrators

I'm just putting this here as a reminder to myself what needs to be done. I've had nothing but positive feedback from the new IPB4 Forum software so there's no point delaying the migration.

• Install IPS4 on new Server then doe the VB5 to IPS4 conversion.
  • AA's main site will be down for a least 24 to 48 hours during the process. I'll probably start it tomorrow the 30th or Saturday.
  • Set up IPB4 on main site and do a basic configuration.
  • Start migration (Could take up to 24 hours)
  • Once migration is done rebuilding tasks will start running, attachments, posts etc. This is another VERY long process however the forum can be reopened and function normally however posts will look messed up with missing attachments, text formatting, quotes etc
  • Before the forum reopens usergroups and forum permissions will need to be set and I need to remember to disable post moderation. To make life easy I'll only be retaining the paid subscriptions, Super Moderator and Member group. Every other user group will be merged into Members so I can get the forum up and running asap.
  • Correct any section out of place.
  • Paid subscriptions will have to be manually set up and applied. Everybody with a current subscription will have theirs reset. Easier for me to add names than to set up starting and ending dates so if your subscription is about to expire....lucky you :)
  • Move current forum VB5 to test site, this will make is easier for me to reconstruct usergroups.
  • Password system may have to be reset for everybody. People have been having issues logging into the test site and their password had to be reset to resolve it. I'm sending in a ticket to their tech support to see what they say.
  • Enable auto merging of posts.

Secondary tasks

• Fine tune the forum software.
  • Address user issues.
  • Find a new default skin for the main site.
  • Fine tune the layout of new site. Nothing is concrete here we'll set it up and se what everybody likes.
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

I'll add more in when I think of them.

Feel free to post suggestions down below.

Thank you very much to those who have made this possible via donations to the site :cool:

Edited by Arcade King
  • Like 9

• Administrators

Update was just made available. v4.6.5.1

- Fixed downloading files with non-latin character downloaded with corrupt characters in Edge and Chrome.

- Fixed an issue when creating a record in the Admin CP and choosing another member as the author would not fire achievements for that author.

- Fixed an error attempting to copy a topic to a database that is not on a page.

- Fixed the members/follows POST endpoint which would return an error when trying to follow some content.

- Fixed an issue where badge images could be uploaded with the same name, thus deleting one could delete many.

- Added ability to specify `...&_bypassItemIdCheck=1` inside the request URL parameters to a Content Item controller to override the default behavior of checking if the item exists.

- Expired warning points are now differentiated between active warning points in member profiles for improved clarity.

- Fixed an issue where Topics would not refresh when selecting Forums in Fluid view.

- Fixed malformed JSON-LD markup for archived topics.

- Fixed an issue where ranks show on the AdminCP member list when Achievements are disabled.

- Fixed an issue where anonymous users may be cached in Who's Online blocks

- Added delete & merge logic for the logins log on member deletion and when 2 accounts are merged.

- Expired warning points are now differentiated between active warning points in member profiles for improved clarity.

- Set a default value for the 'Time user must wait before download starts' group setting while creating a member group.

- Added Invision Community converters for Downloads & Gallery.

- Fixed some minor issues encountered during an Invision Community conversion.

- Added request headers to log for HTTP requests when using `DEBUG_LOG`.

- Fixed an issue where parent was required but not marked required when updating a forum via REST API.

- Fixed an issue where copying a calendar event with a broken cover image would result in an exception.

- Fixed some missing language strings which would result in a failure while creating a review.

- Fixed an issue with Elastic Search not being able to index anonymous content.

- Fixed a missing variable error while IN_DEV when uploading a new version of a downloads file.

- Fixed an issue where anonymous users may be cached in Who's Online blocks.

- Fixed an issue where a reserved keyword is used (specific to MySQL 8.0.17/18)

- Fixed an issue where a large file description may not save if it is larger than 64kb.

- Made a minor change to ensure the registration page is not cached by a web browser.

- Fixed an issue where legacy deleted posts are not removed correctly when upgrading from Invision Community 3.x.

- Fixed an issue where the notifications page could throw an exception while trying to return notification data from plugins or not existing notification extensions.

- Fixed an issue where the Billing Agreements synchronisation task wouldn't check payments via PayPal Subscriptions API.

- Fixed incorrect timezone detection for users in Argentina.

These guys don't muck around.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I ran a very large satellite forum using Invision for many years and they were always very good at addressing issues, bugs and security.

Tuning the forum for high traffic was about the only issue I really had, but that was before I started installing enterprise SSD drives into all the servers.

• Administrators

They have been awesome so far and as I said in the other thread when Invisions Importer does a better then Vbulletin's says a lot.

I'll be pushing back the migration until we can sort out this password issue.

• Administrators

I just spoke to @cwispy and we decided its best to skip trying to migrate VB5 to the new server and just install Invision instead and then do the VB5 to IPS4 conversion.

I'm still waiting for a solution to the password issue. For those who haven't been following alone I tried a test conversion and everything exceeded my expectations except users couldn't login with their current password and a password reset email had to be sent out.

If this can't be resolved by the IPS staff in any reasonable amount of time the only solution left is to force a password reset for all users on the new site....not a big deal just inconvenient.

giphy.gif?cid=35e4938d12cam3j7cqiq5znn3kirau40ks2tarw7k726gxjc&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Like 6

I just spoke to @cwispy and we decided its best to skip trying to migrate VB5 to the new server and just install Invision instead and then do the VB5 to IPS4 conversion.

I'm still waiting for a solution to the password issue. For those who haven't been following alone I tried a test conversion and everything exceeded my expectations except users couldn't login with their current password and a password reset email had to be sent out.

If this can't be resolved by the IPS staff in any reasonable amount of time the only solution left is to force a password reset for all users on the new site....not a big deal just inconvenient.

giphy.gif?cid=35e4938d12cam3j7cqiq5znn3kirau40ks2tarw7k726gxjc&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

The passwords in vBulletin 5 is encrypted data. This data cannot be decrypted by IPS. You will need to advise users to "reset" their password as you mentioned, when they want to start using the new Invision software.

• Administrators

The passwords in vBulletin 5 is encrypted data. This data cannot be decrypted by IPS. You will need to advise users to "reset" their password as you mentioned, when they want to start using the new Invision software.

You'll have to argue that point with IPS themself because they do have support in their converter for passwords. It all depends on what PHP hashing method VB uses and apparently in one of the recent released that was changed.

Regardless you're right, everybody can just reset their password, it only takes a few minutes so as soon as cwispy is online we will begin the process today. Considering I have time with lockdown it would be silly to waste the opportunity.

• Like 2

..IPS ..do have support in their converter for passwords. It all depends on what PHP hashing method VB uses and apparently in one of the recent released that was changed.

you're right.. i think you will find at no stage does the convertor know what the password is.

its just migrating the encoded version and the ability for the new install to decode it.

something like changing hashing method midway will be breaking that.

the password reset is simple and you can reset it back to what it was before at the time just as easy as changing it.

even i didnt whinge about it it cant be that bad :P