Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Storing stencils

Sorry but have got to agree with @Pop Bumper Pete and @wiredoug . IMO, You may as well use them as a table cloth.

I've used the supplier you've mentioned before for a Harlem I did some years ago and besides the registration from front to sides was out a mile the pain in the arse was the glue used on the top layer was stronger than the glue used to apply onto the cab. It made the fiddly bits like the shoelaces a right handful.

I know this is a silly question but I'm full of them. If these stencils and I'm told cab decals have a shelf life with regards to the adhesive, what does that mean for cab decals that have been applied. Does the adhesive deteriorate and the decals start to lift over time eg 10 years? Or is the problem with the backing paper they are on allowing the adhesive to dry out?

I think with our climate and evaporative cooling and heating its bound to affect the adhesive properties over long term storage in under the bed in the house. Edited by hotty
  • Like 1

Never unroll decals or stencils until you are ready to use them. EVER! Leave them rolled up, in a tube. Vinyl shrinks over time but the backing paper does not and that's when they get the wrinkles and separation.

:)

• Like 1

Never unroll decals or stencils until you are ready to use them. EVER! Leave them rolled up, in a tube. Vinyl shrinks over time but the backing paper does not and that's when they get the wrinkles and separation.

:)

I got replacement art blades for Alice Cooper from Spooky direct....

I haven't bothered to fit them as they were rolled up so they separated from the backing before they arrived...:unsure

Looks like a rolled up newspaper with the error getting worse and worse each roll....

Well done Spooky.....NOT:realmad:

I haven't bothered to fit them as they were rolled up so they separated from the backing before they arrived...:unsure

Looks like a rolled up newspaper with the error getting worse and worse each roll....

maybe they did them up backwards? vinyl wants to be rolled the way it came on the roll. It gets angry if you reverse it. maybe a good candidate for a scan and reprint?

• Like 1

Probably printed and rolled, then unrolled or lying around flat. Sucks. Could've been rolled backwards as above. Who knows but I do know how to store decals, and that isn't flat.

Thanks for the replies.

They seem to have a little adhesive life in them still so might keep them and IF I ever get around to using them, if they are no good no biggie, I'll get new ones.

Sounds like I should roll the up @spacies ? They fell very thick and not like rolling up a poster is why I wondered about this.

Thought flat would be best??!?

@spaceballs If you do find the adhesive isn’t what it use to be they’re not a total loss, so don’t throw them out, just apply low tack adhesive from an aerosol. I have used spray can adhesive in making my own stencils in the past.
  • Like 4