Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Router recommendations

Hi all,

I just received an email from Aussie Broadband stating that they were upgrading my plan from Super Fast to Ultra Fast for 6 months at no extra cost. My current router can't support the higher speeds so I'm looking to purchase a new (capable) one. Looking for any recommendations of routers in the sub-$200 range that have good speed & range over Wifi.

Cheers,

Matthew

• Administrators
The Netcomm NF18ACV is a good budget unit with good tested throughput for the wifi as per the ACMA test report. I had one of these units when I got my vdsl based service, but they also have a gigabit wan port. I have not seen any test reports for the gig wan port to lan so I am unsure how they perform there, but they do have good wifi and a decent lan throughput so I do not think that the wan to lan would be any different. They are also as you have said, pretty cheap.

The Netcomm NF18ACV is a good budget unit with good tested throughput for the wifi as per the ACMA test report. I had one of these units when I got my vdsl based service, but they also have a gigabit wan port. I have not seen any test reports for the gig wan port to lan so I am unsure how they perform there, but they do have good wifi and a decent lan throughput so I do not think that the wan to lan would be any different. They are also as you have said, pretty cheap.

Thanks for your reply. Is the NF18ACV router better than the NF18MESH router?

• Administrators
From what I can find they are both pretty similar and both use broadcom chipset, but I was not able to find the exact chipset used in the mesh unit. A quick search tends to suggest that its not a bad unit, but possibly the 2.4Ghz wifi is not as good. These days I would highly recommend people stick to 5Ghz if possible anyway to avoid noise from neighbours wifi.

Running a tp link vr2800 atm

was 350ish at Officeworks but got it down to just over your budget at 230ish by price matching

Needed something to handle house of teens and sk far so good

I probibally have a dozen or so routers but generally only use 3 as the others are on dedicated equipment set up for specific cuts, The Craftsman is a beast that just won't die, and has considerable tourqe, however it only has a 1/4" collet and is not my go to anymore, The Dewalt is a dual collet which is nice because I generally only use 1/2" bits if I can, however it has a lock and turn thing for depth and it drifts over long cuts, not my favorite, But before we go there, my little laminate trimmer needs honorable mention since it is small it fits into tight areas, all of them can handle harder woods like oak and such, but the last three kina struggle with the chore, My favorite is the Festool, I can't find a complaint other than the cost, but it even has a dust collection plate that actually works, the thing Is a dream...Now if you are still reading this, go build something and stop playing with your computer toys...Giggle😜
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, it’s all sorted now :D

Highly recommend the ASUS RT-AC68U, think its a touch over your budget, but its performance trumps most in the price range

Thanks for the recommendation mate, I purchased the ASUS RT-AC68U as you suggested. I am now getting 1000mbps through Ethernet and around 600mbps (off peak) and 450mbps (peak) through Wi-Fi. Much better than the 100mbps I was getting through my old router :cool:

• Like 1

Just saw this...great choice at a decent price. Nice CPU to handle alot of devices. Waat a lot peole dont realise that the "Free" or paid modems by ISP's are low end and dont cater for normal households of today. Its amazing when people dont realise how many wifi devices they have. "I only use mobile phone and 2 of the kids tablets" is a typical answer when asked and then yo find out they have over 20 (phones,tv's, CCTV, tablets, smart lights/switches). Not only weak wifi signals but lack of CPU's

• Like 1

Just saw this...great choice at a decent price. Nice CPU to handle alot of devices. Waat a lot peole dont realise that the "Free" or paid modems by ISP's are low end and dont cater for normal households of today. Its amazing when people dont realise how many wifi devices they have. "I only use mobile phone and 2 of the kids tablets" is a typical answer when asked and then yo find out they have over 20 (phones,tv's, CCTV, tablets, smart lights/switches). Not only weak wifi signals but lack of CPU's

Yep i thought when i did shopping the abb stock one be ok till i did a device count of when all the kids are here and thought its gonna choke out so went a bigger one

Touch wood its handled them all so far as a test run

Thanks for the replies, it’s all sorted now :D

Thanks for the recommendation mate, I purchased the ASUS RT-AC68U as you suggested. I am now getting 1000mbps through Ethernet and around 600mbps (off peak) and 450mbps (peak) through Wi-Fi. Much better than the 100mbps I was getting through my old router :cool:

Great stuff mate, I am absolutely amazed at the stability and wireless range on this model. Hope it continues to treat you well!

You are on Aussie BB aren't you? surprised you get such a drop in peak. you get the same drop in speed on your wired devices right?