IGNORED

Point Blank - Gun Sensor on Gun Position Board went bad?

Kier

Question

Posted (edited)

A few years back I was trying to tack the back on my Point Blank, and like an idiot, didnt remove the old staples and instead tried to tap it on and now the red gun(player 1 doesnt register). I am now at a point where I have some time and space to once again look into this.

1) Red gun sounds, and shot registers but no light on the screen and you can't hit a target.

2) Switched guns in the plugs and Red gun works fine in player 2 spot, and the blue gun will go bad in the Player 1 spot. So its not the gun, but something to do with the player 1 board chip or something similar.

3) I have continuity on all wires from plug from PCB to gun plug so not a wire issue.

4) I have tested the sensor point in the molex connector plug. Player 2 registers 5.17 and Player 1 only registers 1.4. So I assume it probably is the sensor chip for player 1 on the game position board. Does anyone know which chip that is so I can test it? And thinking 1 step ahead if it went bad, anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Kier
Edited: Added a photo of the Position Board

6 answers to this question

Check the SMT filters for continuity on that interface PCB... and make sure you have +5 going to the gun to power it.

Thanks. I will give the SMT filters a check and the +5 as well. Thinking the +5 was there, but never hurts to double check.

Thanks again.

If the filters are all good, check to see if there's a 74HC14 on the PCB... That is common on gun games to square up the inputs and is a common failure item. If it failed then make sure the armored cable for the guns are grounded properly. Static is not kind to HC (High speed CMOS) chips...

If the filters are all good, check to see if there's a 74HC14 on the PCB... That is common on gun games to square up the inputs and is a common failure item. If it failed then make sure the armored cable for the guns are grounded properly. Static is not kind to HC (High speed CMOS) chips...

I dont see any 74HC14, I will check again thought. It does have a couple 74LS14 though. I have attached a better photo of the board. I do have a 74HC4020A? and a bunch of 74HC590A.

Thats a real good point on the armored cables. I fired the red gun player 1 like 500 times and occasional got a red shot this evening so I was double checking grounds, the ground looks fine going to the gun but maybe not the armored cables.

I did check the continuity of the little black filters, I assumed those were the ones in question. Assuming I can check in circuit they all tested for continuity.

DSCN5971.thumb.JPG.db989971ee57a0365e647fe409068875.JPG

LS14 should be it... they are Schmitt Triggers which take a slow ramping input and squares it up Those are the first to replace if you can't get inputs from the guns. They are the first in line to get zapped.

LS14 should be it... they are Schmitt Triggers which take a slow ramping input and squares it up Those are the first to replace if you can't get inputs from the guns. They are the first in line to get zapped.

Thanks, channelmaniac, I will give the a look.