IGNORED

Board repair / assistance needed in Melbourne

AxedBandit

Question

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to revive a Taito Speed Race Deluxe "project" and realise that I am out of my depth in relation to board issue diagnosis and repair. I have done what I can but am looking for some assistance or advice in Melbourne.

Im not looking for freebies and happy to pay for service but on the other hand I want to use this as a bit of a learning experience as well.

The challenge with this game is that no schematic is available and all of the chip identifiers have been removed.

If anyone is able to help please PM me.

Thanks

• Like 2

10 answers to this question

Hi, any repair without diagrams or chip numbers is likely to be difficult, the next best option would be if someone has a working board to compare signals wih. Fingers crossed, regards John

Hi, any repair without diagrams or chip numbers is likely to be difficult, the next best option would be if someone has a working board to compare signals wih. Fingers crossed, regards John

Thanks John - I have identified about a half of the chips and hope to identify more once my IC identifier / tester arrives (from China). Just not really sure how to interpret the probe outputs and know if they are . should be like that.

8) Anything older than 1984 is probably a no-no. Especially the Taito and Williams multi stack PCBs. Fixing the current fault isn't too bad but getting them to a reliable state is a whole other matter. As much as I like fixing boards I really don't want to see the same board over and over again as it works its way through all the other faults that are about to occur.

:-(

8) Anything older than 1984 is probably a no-no. Especially the Taito and Williams multi stack PCBs. Fixing the current fault isn't too bad but getting them to a reliable state is a whole other matter. As much as I like fixing boards I really don't want to see the same board over and over again as it works its way through all the other faults that are about to occur.

Oops sorry, my mistake :redface

• Like 1

Jungle Hunt and that series isn't too bad to repair. I stay far away from Zoo Keeper, Joust, and the others that spread out all over the bench.

For Jungle Hunt, Elevator Action, etc... the key is to read the EPROMs, checksum them, and if correct, program the data back to them. For ones that aren't correct, reprogram them with the proper code. Those EPROMs on those boardsets like to suffer from bit rot for some reason. I find the older Sega boardsets like Choplifter and Wonder Boy suffer similar bit rot, but also leg rot with the dissimilar metals between their gold alloy sockets and tinned pins of the ROMs.

Jungle Hunt and that series isn't too bad to repair. I stay far away from Zoo Keeper, Joust, and the others that spread out all over the bench.

For Jungle Hunt, Elevator Action, etc... the key is to read the EPROMs, checksum them, and if correct, program the data back to them. For ones that aren't correct, reprogram them with the proper code. Those EPROMs on those boardsets like to suffer from bit rot for some reason. I find the older Sega boardsets like Choplifter and Wonder Boy suffer similar bit rot, but also leg rot with the dissimilar metals between their gold alloy sockets and tinned pins of the ROMs.

Unfortunately this machine is pre EPROM and pure TTL electronics - 1975ish