Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXLVII - TIMEOUT - Battle Of The Arcades Australia 2021

Hi all you funky gamers,

I am heading into downtown Sydney tonight for the Battle Of The Arcades venue at 1989 in Newtown. I won't be competing, but I'll be meeting up with @Pessimeister and maybe @Arcadinator from the MGL, who are. They have both flown in from Melbourne, and it should be a fun night plus tomorrows game play, across all the arcade venues in Australia. I thought I'd try and let you see what it's like on the inside, with trusty cameras in hands, and I'll post them late tonight. The gospel of gaming is calling again, and if you have any photos of your arcades in the now or before, please feel free to post some piccies. (Why should I have all the fun ... LOL)

From a previous visit ... and plenty more to come tonight ...

7tGLhwL.jpg

And the promo ... I like the Ms. Pac-man in the line up ...

zgsHjYG.png

• Like 3

While all you people were asleep, gaming, or dealing with the humdrum of chores, I met 2 x cool guys at the 1989 barcade last night. They both flew in from Melbourne to compete in the BOTA 2021 Australia ...

@Pessimeister was playing Ms. Pac-man on the Pandora, as the machine upstairs had a monitor failure ...

X9ieVwm.jpg

WsOV6at.jpg

@Arcadinator found a few free credits on Dragon's Lair, and he had a great time. Every game he played, he just got better and better. By the time I left , he was up to 244,442 points ... and like BITD, it was a lot of fun to listen and watch ...

DNp3Xrh.jpg

Later on @Pessimeister gave the Wonder Boy machine a whirl ...

HD6JIA2.jpg

And some of the other machines upstairs, that I shot earlier in the evening ... some great games in great condition ... 1989 is well worth a visit if you're in downtown Sydney ...

Ldhd1OD.jpg

That's a very nice Gauntlet in the corner ...

1VEYuH1.jpg

We had a great dinner in Broadway, some Chinese with dumplings, then hit the arcade again. 1989 also has dedicated machines of Galaga, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, Sunset Riders, Heavy Barrel and Gyruss. Right now, both Pessimeister and Arcadinator are competing in the tournament, so good luck to you guys, and have fun!

• Like 4

It was certainly a weekend of mixed fortunes for the Arcadinator and I. Unfortunately we didn't get to warm up friday night and during Saturday had only restricted access to the arcade due to booked parties happening at the same time. On top of this, the Ms Pacman cabinet was down, much to my disheartened chagrin. I wanted to win that game and the winning score was in my PB range.

To top it off I experienced some nasty data entry scoring glitches with the BotA scoring website, causing some scores to be misattributed to others.

Sunday was much more fun and settled, with lots of good concentrated arcade action. At one point we were in second place at the 1989; but the scores kept coming in thick and fast.

Out Zone on the Candy Cab in the "Tokyo Basement" was an absolute blast to play on and I could have easily taken one of those machines back home with me. :)

Some definite camraderie was achieved on the Sunday which somewhat balanced out the bad luck of the previous days.

The highlight of the weekend for me undoubtedly was getting to meet our resident MGL Gamemaster, OOO himself, have dinner, share banter and gaming stories. We also played some two player Ms Pacman on the Pandorra machine, regularly cursing at the inferior 8 way joysticks. It was a rare treat to watch OOO play Ms Pacman on the tricky cocktail cabinet downstairs, scoring "70,050", which is now the top score for the venue.

The event really proves that the greater arcade culture in Australia is deepening; as the competition was much stronger than in the first BotA tournament in 2018. 2022 should be even more competitive. As it was my first time in Sydney, it was definitely a memorable adventure and one I hope to have again next year. Many thanks for the photos and news coverage @OOO !!

For now, it's back to the MGL...

Edited by Pessimeister
  • Like 4

It was certainly a weekend of mixed fortunes for the Arcadinator and I. Unfortunately we didn't get to warm up friday night and during Saturday had only restricted access to the arcade due to booked parties happening at the same time. On top of this, the Ms Pacman cabinet was down, much to my disheartened chagrin. I wanted to win that game and the winning score was in my PB range.

To top it off I experienced some nasty data entry scoring glitches with the BotA scoring website, causing some scores to be misattributed to others.

Sunday was much more fun and settled, with lots of good concentrated arcade action. At one point we were in second place at the 1989; but the scores kept coming in thick and fast.

Out Zone on the Candy Cab in the "Tokyo Basement" was an absolute blast to play on and I could have easily taken one of those machines back home with me. :)

Some definite camraderie was achieved on the Sunday which somewhat balanced out the bad luck of the previous days.

The highlight of the weekend for me undoubtedly was getting to meet our resident MGL Gamemaster, OOO himself, have dinner, share banter and gaming stories. We also played some two player Ms Pacman on the Pandorra machine, regularly cursing at the inferior 8 way joysticks. It was a rare treat to watch OOO play Ms Pacman on the tricky cocktail cabinet downstairs, scoring "70,050", which is now the top score for the venue.

The event really proves that the greater arcade culture in Australia is deepening; as the competition was much stronger than in the first BotA tournament in 2018. 2022 should be even more competitive. As it was my first time in Sydney, it was definitely a memorable adventure and one I hope to have again next year. Many thanks for the photos and news coverage @OOO !!

For now, it's back to the MGL...

Yes it was awesome fun to meet you and Arcadinator, as well as meet the other gamers who played in BOTA. They all had a really good time. Ben Campbell from 1989 was a great host.

I popped in for a few hours on Saturday, and on Sunday, and got a good photo of @Arcadinator playing Black Tiger on Sunday during the tournament ...

jrLr2LB.jpg

Here's @Pessimeister playing against the invisible man ... it's a LOL photo, but real ...

8s3YY9m.jpg

It was a bummer that the dedicated Ms. Pac-man was down. It's a beautiful machine. I played some games on the backup, and the stick was atrocious.

Here's the Out Zone Rob was talking about. Very nice picture with good stick and buttons in a SEGA Astro City cab.

kf7abpN.jpg

Next time @bigredbird should join us. We'll just have to make sure Mr. Do! is in the next BOTA ... ;)

• Like 2