Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Fathom by Haggis!!!

part of me wants to buy a new in the box pin.

this was the 1st game ever, over all the new sterns that i actually considered buying.

you've missed out on some of the best games ever produced then, but yeah I was nearly there too if I had more room

Hope they kill it and make heaps!

From my perspective, I have known Scott Seedsman well before Haggis came along and he's a genuine bloke. Very capable, enthusiastic and genuinely loves what he does. His quality of work and attention to detail is the best I've ever seen from a complete machine perspective. If he's involved, I'm in, it's really that simple for me.

In my opinion, he wouldn't be involved if he didn't have faith in Damian and the direction of Haggis as a company. Sure it's a risk, but not to the same extent of other foreign companies which are unreachable for us Aussies especially at the moment with COVID.

• Like 8

That's the worrying thing about it from my perspective. Their energy and ideas are great, and it's clear they love pinball and have the capability to make them in small numbers. But we've seen a lot of boutique manufacturers jump the gun, get money for pre-orders and then go bust, with a lot of people losing cash.

At the last Houseball a bunch of us were discussing what makes Haggis different in this regard, and we didn't have any answers. They are largely the same as other companies like Heighway, although Heighway actually produced a lot more pins before they went belly-up. We all saw what happened with Thunderbirds and also Predator, Magic Girl and others.

Can someone chime in on why a lot of people are more confident in Haggis? This is not a criticism of Haggis, I very much want them to succeed, Fathom remake looks kick ass. However, there has been so much bad blood for sight unseen pre-orders from boutique manufacturers, but still a lot of people willing to jump on this before large scale manufacturing capability has been proven.

Not to sure about the Celts machine but I think that if the keep going along the lines of remaking some of the old classics like your Fathoms and stuff like Big Bang Bar and other great titles from the past, I think their on a winner and will sell as much as they can build

Anyway I hope they succeed no matter what they do and show the world that we Aussies can build top quality products like the rest of the manufacturers if not better.

• Like 5

Thanks for the negative post.

Im not being negative. Haggis will run their business as they see fit. My post just highlights historically what’s occurred in the past with startups. They will either succeed or not. As for customers laying out money up front has an inherent risk.

• Like 1

That's the worrying thing about it from my perspective. Their energy and ideas are great, and it's clear they love pinball and have the capability to make them in small numbers. But we've seen a lot of boutique manufacturers jump the gun, get money for pre-orders and then go bust, with a lot of people losing cash.

At the last Houseball a bunch of us were discussing what makes Haggis different in this regard, and we didn't have any answers. They are largely the same as other companies like Heighway, although Heighway actually produced a lot more pins before they went belly-up. We all saw what happened with Thunderbirds and also Predator, Magic Girl and others.

Can someone chime in on why a lot of people are more confident in Haggis? This is not a criticism of Haggis, I very much want them to succeed, Fathom remake looks kick ass. However, there has been so much bad blood for sight unseen pre-orders from boutique manufacturers, but still a lot of people willing to jump on this before large scale manufacturing capability has been proven.

This was a very interesting conversation.

I think we were all agreed that Haggis has somehow earned themselves a lot of goodwill. The only thing we could come up with is that it must be because they are Aussies. We likened this method of manufacturing to Kickstarter.

I was very close to ordering a Celts but just couldnt do it and it wasnt anything Haggis has done it was just what has happened in the past.

As most have said though I hope they make many machines and continue to do so for years to come.

• Like 1

I see it as me being a pinball tragic for over 40 years now, if a title turns up these days that I feel involved with I'm interested,

Putting money up front, yes been bitten before.

BUT,

I only had to put a smallish deposit up front this time instead of the whole amount - I can live with that considering the title (fathom) my fave game is getting re-invented.

I too have known Scott for awhile and we have sold him some bits and pieces over the years for SS games .

I guess time will tell but I'm OK with it.

Edited by Railways
  • Like 1

This was a very interesting conversation.

I think we were all agreed that Haggis has somehow earned themselves a lot of goodwill. The only thing we could come up with is that it must be because they are Aussies. We likened this method of manufacturing to Kickstarter.

I would put down a lot of that goodwill having to do with the videos that were posted here in there early days after all, how many would actually know Haggis Pinball existed?. I would suggest they continue doing that on this forum and not just there customers. Even if it's, Daniel I think it is, telling and showing potencial factories sites for example, it shows something is happening and the goodwill should continue....no one likes silence when they have money on the line but neither do there mates.

@namastepat

I agree with your concerns but I think I rememeber someone saying there was a company run by these guys in Melbourne?. Better than nothing. At least they have something to loose if it goes pear shaped I suppose.

Makes me wonder why so many pinball companies go belly up?. Personally I think when they start out, they do things in house but when they see money, they start farming everything out and when your paying others money for everything involved on a pinball, there's no money left.

Would be great to see Haggis boom but it would be better to see how Haggis gets there........More Haggis videos.;)

• Like 1

That had me thinking too, looking at the promo video it has their name on it and LED score RGB and think the score cards were mini LCD's so it's possible it could be a restored original with the modern workings to showcase what to expect from the remake. Very impressive.

Edited by hotty
  • Like 3

That had me thinking too, looking at the promo video it has their name on it and LED score RGB and think the score cards were mini LCD's so it's possible it could be a restored original with the modern workings to showcase what to expect from the remake. Very impressive.

I suspect thats a full blown prototype. the 4x right insert is slightly off wack, something I believe they said they would correct in the production. Like why take the risk.. Produce a prototype and then showcase it.

• 2 months later...

Just an update from Haggis and their new factory. 

Looks great but there is more than pinball hurdles to jump over. Check roller door number 2 for access.

Tried doing a link to the Haggis Youtube clip of the factory but I'm missing something in the process - sorry.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:49 PM, Railways said:

Just an update from Haggis and their new factory. 

Looks great but there is more than pinball hurdles to jump over. Check roller door number 2 for access.

Tried doing a link to the Haggis Youtube clip of the factory but I'm missing something in the process - sorry.

That mistake on the entry would be such a pain for them Jeff considering he set it up so as not to have to drag everything through the factory. Hopefully council will fix it but I doubt it. 

On 5/29/2021 at 8:09 PM, illawarra_steelers said:

part of me wants to buy a new in the box pin.

this was the 1st game ever, over all the new sterns that i actually considered buying.

Well Tony I’m down for a Mermaid Edition. You know me it could be in and out faster than your Ute! I will give you a call if i decide it’s not for me and give you first crack at it. Cheers mate and hope all is well. 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...