Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Some Info needed about P3ROC or PROC writing code and where to start ?

Well I have been thinking about purchasing either a PROC or P3ROC set of boards ,

to finally make a homebrew machine or rebuild one of my many project machines,

It would probably be quite a learning adventure and fun ,even using an exciting playfield.

The part that scares me is the coding and what operating system to use, which brings me to these questions.

What do commercial games like Hot Wheels, Houdini , Alice Cooper, or Rick & Morty use for an operating system?

Why do they use .PKG files to update the system ? what even is a .PKG file ? I have never heard of such..

Do they use Windows, Linux, Python or something else ?

It's all quite a mystery to me,

Has anybody else on the forum built or made a machine using the above systems ?

If you can give me some ideas that would be great, thanks

• Like 1

Have a look at MPF Pinball Framework. They have a ton of doco in their wiki about matching boards and setup for manufacturer / era, and a solid framework used by some commercial games.

That one is Python and most things are done through config file with only really custom work done in Python. It's definitely the most user-friendly and best documented framework, and it's rock solid.

Have fun.

A PKG file is just a neatly wrapped up installer.

Windows and Linux are operating systems, whereas python is just a coding language.

The advantages of using Linux over Windows is that you can customise the operating system to only include the things you need leaving it smaller and faster. For example you don't actually need a GUI(Graphical user interface) on a pinball machine, so you can leave that out of your operating system.

All those guys use a Linux system and code in a spin off of PyProcGame. It's not the most optimised game engine but it's simple, cheap and it works.

If you're building a one off machine and cost is not important you can just use a standard Windows PC instead if a small SBC (Single Board Computer) that they use.

My new machines use a Raspberry Pi 4 as their main PC and I went with a customised video game engine instead of what others are using and I don't recommend trying that unless you have some experience in that area.

A good start is to learn python.

If your game is simple MPF might be all you need but anything complex MPF will drive you crazy. Even if you go the Mission Pinball route and your game is super simple I still recommend learning python.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies,

I do have a little c code knowledge and Arduino c ++ otherwise I have downloaded both Mission pinball and PyProcGame ,it really looks difficult for a newbie.

Question here - what opens a PKG file, how does it autoboot in the single board computers ??I believe they were using UP Computers from up-board.org x86 sbc,

I have plenty of old i3/i5 computers laying around here that would be more powerful than one of those.

Still not sold on the PROC and P3ROC yet, time to speak to more people and do more research I think.

Well you can use my boards if you like :cool:

They work with Mission Pinball.

You can probably open the pkg file with 7zip, it probably will be meaningless to look at if it's all binary form. But I have no idea as I've never tried to look at them. Maybe I should pull the pc out of my ACNC and see what is going on in there. The thing is super buggy so it would be super nice to fix it :lol

Mission pinball would be simple to get up an running but their Documentation is a joke.

Let me know if you need any help with that as I've written a couple of game examples with it.

I forgot to say they would have some code on start up that looks for a external drive with a set pkg file on it and if so run some simple code to grab everything out the pkg and put it where it belongs.

• 1 year later...

When choosing an essay writing service, you should also consider their refund policy http://essaypapers.reviews/ . Several websites offer money back guarantees. They will allow you to request a refund if your paper doesn't meet your requirements. The service will also be able to send you a free revision if the first draft doesn't pass your expectations. 

Edited by sabrinablack