Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

mysterious shutdown with stern Ghostbusters- SW AS or Bat66

pinthing

Question

IMG_1977.thumb.jpeg.9445f0552ee42692e936bfbd13572203.jpeg

IMG_1974.thumb.jpeg.ffce7bbe7dbb1e36628eac50c75d2e70.jpeg

Just wondering if anybody else has had problems ( and solutions ) for mysterious shutdown of the above titles.

The first photo is what Stern have for the solution . This didn't solve it .

Second pic is in my Star Wars as is from factory , note the complete reversal of cap and different wiring  . Never had one issue with Star Wars so i tried the similar configuration in Ghostbusters but it still shuts down .

I've tried the following- without shaker , with new shaker, shaker node capacitor , new node board , node 8 and node 9 standard issue capacitor kit ,

the first and second bulletin procedure and different cap wiring .

Still every now & again shuts down and at any time , not just @ multiball load or any other particular point .

Hoping someone could look in the door of their GB BAT66 SW or AS to verify if my SW is not the only one with this setup .

How effective are the ferrite blocks ?  My Bat66 has none of this stuff and also never had any issues .

??? stumped .

Kind Regards Ross

Edited by pinthing
added photos and better description

8 answers to this question

I'm not into Stern's but your describing the Williams WPC 5vdc watchdog fault. Meaning if the MPU's 5.0vdc drops below 4.7vdc the watchdog shuts the game down. Just suggesting this in case Stern has a similar circuit installed and your 5.0vdc needs work on the power supply.

Thanks for the response  . I should have also mentioned the second thing I did was put a brand new power supply in it .

The first thing i did was was put a Belkin BSV120 surge plug device at the outlet , maybe it conflicted with the machine or is faulty in its self

(took me all this time to think of this) Just scratchin for ideas while waiting for to stop again .

Thanks again 

I dont think the surge diverter device would be causing this. They are basically a "passive" device, so really should not effect a pin in normal use and should really on kick into action when a actual voltage serge hits. Depending on the type , they can have a manual reset or some just sacrifice themselves to save the load, and they are usually stuffed and fizzed after that, and require replacement.

Is it shutting down , then the CPU does a reset straight away and boot up ?

Thanks Grant , I'm a complete novice ( at Everything )  . I was Advised by someone in the know that the first Spike games were sensitive to current flow or something and that  the expensive surge plugs were the ' Thing ' , then  next the stern bulletin (which changed ) hence the need for a Bulletin ,and the different capacitor setup . 

So i'm just wondering who has what inside their (above title ) machines . Mine are all different . Only have Ghostbuster problems .  Out of ( recent ) desperation thought it might be something  extra in the surge plug that might of been  related  .

The machine just shuts down ( at any time ) (could be weeks ) , and restarts  it's self .

Maybe the new power supply is faulty as well ?

What  do all the ferrite blocks through out the machine do ?

What else should I be looking at ?

Kind Regards Ross

The ferrite rings in the machine are to minimise the effects of "RF" interference ( or noise )  into and also out  of the wires.  This noise will interfere with data signals around the machine and cause a bit of Havoc.

I'm not sure if GB has a slam tilt or similar ?  On older machines if someone moved the pin enough to trip the slam tilt switch , it would crash out the pin, and then it would re-boot again. But Im not sure if modern Sterns have this feature.

Try the technical support from Stern themselves. I have had a couple of small issues on their pins, and they where pretty good with tech support and advice. Its worth a try.

Also, maybe try re-seating the plugs on one board at a time ( with the pin of of course ) Dont do multiple boards, as then if it clears you cant figure out which board is causing the issue.

Also possible something is pulling too much current (amps) in the pin and its regulated power supply is shutting itself down to protect itself. These can be a real bugger to find the intermittent "short" that is causing the issue.

Good Luck

Hi Pinthing,

My AS just started doing this. Last two times I played it , the machine locked up, the lcd screen just froze in one state, all lamps went out and flippers pops and slings dead.

The machine did not restart. Turning it off and on again to quickly also did not work. Turned off and waited for all LEDs to go out on CPU board then power back on and game would work and worked for that play session.

Next time , first ball first game around a minute of play same thing, everything dead. This time I took note of the LEDs on the CPU board, the status led next to the large IC on the left side of the board was not blinking, it normally blinks all the time. Again power cycle after all leds out and ran diagnostics for node boards etc but no errors. Ran burn in for 20 minutes, no failures.

Decided to do latest firmware update to version 1.10. The initial attempt failed and the machine just kept initializing over and over again. Powered off. Moved thumb drive to alternate USB port and started again, this time it did update and verify, of course all my settings where reset.

I then played for about an hour with no problem. Next day another hour or more of play and no problem.

I do recall shortly after receiving the game I received the capacitor kits from the distributor which I installed so no idea what could be wrong or if it will fail again.