IGNORED

Paragon re-stencil

Hi everyone, I thought I'd share some photos and videos of my Paragon re-stencil, which is my first attempt at stenciling a cabinet. Enjoy.

Feel free to ask any questions.

0m3WTY7.jpg?1

IpZyxJw.jpg?1

QlrBrUG.jpg?1

Time Lapse video - removing the first stencil layer

Normal speed video removing the front stencil layer

• Like 13

Interested to see how you go with this, Im about to start a cabinet myself. So Question 1: Who's stencils are you using?

Pinball Pimp Stencils.

• Like 2

Looks like a fantastic result!

What paints spray can/gun/tin did you use for undercoat, base and colours?

Colours are all Montana Brand Acylic:

* Montana Gold Shock Yellow

* Montana Black Code Red

* Montana Gold Blue Note

Pretty sure it was a comment from you on a previous thread to lead me to these paints. Thank you because they are great.

• Like 2

Colours are all Montana Brand Acylic:

* Montana Gold Shock Yellow

* Montana Black Code Red

* Montana Gold Blue Note

Pretty sure it was a comment from you on a previous thread to lead me to these paints. Thank you because they are great.

So @jono did you spray it on? do you get the Montana paints in a spray can ? or use a roller ? and paint in a tin??? Also how many days did you allow between coats? Lots more questions to come:)

Montana paints are a rattle can available from various art supply and graffiti shops. They have a really good selection of colours.

Pinball Pimp recommend Rustoluem cans but the selection available in Oz is pretty limited. For Paragon the Shock Yellow colour was 95+% match to original yellow and I wanted to use the same paints for all colours to minimise paint compatibility issues. Here are some stockiest.

https://www.simplyspray.com.au/product/montana-gold-acrylic-sprays/

https://artworxgeelong.com.au/store/product-info.php?Shock-Yellow-Montana-Spray-Paint-400ml-pid24336.html

I left 2 days between stencils. If you are using enamel paints I'd add a few more days as drying times for these paints tend to be longer.

• Like 1

great colour selections. It really pops! The Montana black brand Vs Montana gold brand is interesting. Gold is made for fine details and black is made for broader coverage. Did you change nozzles on the cans? Some nozzles are better than others.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Montana Black vs Gold was all about getting the right colour to get as close to the original as possible without going to paint shop, colour matching and getting the gun and compressor out.

Yeah the different spray caps (fat caps) and spray patterns are the way to go. I bought a selections of caps to try. I like the one in the link below the best as it lays down a good amount of paint in one pass, without being too heavy where it runs and the fan is about 25cm without a lot of over spray.

https://crushcityfame.bigcartel.com/...ransversal-cap

Here is a link to a selection of caps that allow you to customise spray patterns to your requirements and spray technique.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IRONLAK-...4AAOSwh9FbG8aw

Edited by jono
  • Like 4

Nice work @jono Its really coming to life:)

Yep you are quite right about the limitations of colour choice for Rustoleum paints available here in OZ.

Our next SS cab paint I'll definetly look at the Montana range.

• Like 1

Head box second stencil layer.

GOPseNy.jpg?1

ZkKtucC.jpg?1

Completion photos. I'll post some better final photos once cabinet has been clear coated.

22EcAir.jpg?1

KHbf6nf.jpg?1

Xz06veP.jpg?1

• Like 19

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, thats what I use. They used to have "spray putty" in a SCA can which was pretty good. Had a purple lid on it. very, very dense filler/primer.

Yep, thats what I use. They used to have "spray putty" in a SCA can which was pretty good. Had a purple lid on it. very, very dense filler/primer.

They still have the spray putty, bought it last month:)

• Like 2

I've used the putty but I prefer the primer surfacer with several coats as I find it needs less sanding overall to get a super smooth finish.

If the cabinet is beat up or has lots of wood grain that needs heavier layers of paint, I use spray equipment rather than the cans.

Super Cheap have a 2 can deal every 2 months or so. If I have a resto coming up I'll buy up if the deal is on.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Photo update. Warning pic heavy. I've been plugging away on putting it back together.

Feel free to ask an questions.

Cabinet internal before and after.

j5lhqFd.jpg?1

g6NKWB1.jpg?1

Light board before, during and after.

dyjfKQI.jpg?1

2QDp5zn.jpg?1

hiryNXn.jpg?1

Head box before, during and still a work in progress.

2ZTrQ4u.jpg?1

CMyYchR.jpg?2

TzX8G8V.jpg?1

Parts back from being chrome plated and polished.

5a9WR8o.jpg?1

gWppjn0.jpg?1

• Like 13