Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXLVII - Game 2 ~ Ghosts 'n Goblins (closes 18-Apr)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got through the cavern, just kept running away from all the flying red guys and managed to fluke my way through. Got the clouds and died a few times there.

I bought the remake game Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection on Switch about 2 months ago. Its quite hard especially with a Switch controller. I stopped playing it as it really needs an arcade stick so will play it again when I've bought one of those for Switch.

0007.png.3b78c5c36627d46fc5ad848e7d2fd4bc.png

• Like 1

Got through the cavern, just kept running away from all the flying red guys and managed to fluke my way through. Got the clouds and died a few times there.

I bought the remake game Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection on Switch about 2 months ago. Its quite hard especially with a Switch controller. I stopped playing it as it really needs an arcade stick so will play it again when I've bought one of those for Switch.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"0007.png","data-attachmentid":2202903}[/ATTACH]

Yes definitely need an arcade stick for Resurrection. Great looking game and good to see Ghosts 'n Goblins from the 80s is still going strong with new titles in the 20s.

Pessimeister: 88, 700

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":2202899}[/ATTACH]

Got to the dragon a couple of times; just couldn't quite keep up the anti-arremer assaults. :) Having a blast with the game which certainly has me hooked.

A very fun and hard game.

It doesn't help when you jump for a ledge and somehow get stuck in a wall. It's happened a few times now but "dems the breaks" as they say

[ATTACH]n2203266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":2203265}[/ATTACH]

That's hilarious. Just playing Upwords right now, and read your post ... :lol

This isn't a ninja game. I remember Lone Wolf and Cub had adversaries that could hide in the walls. In Shintaro, they had the same. Well looks like Robert likes getting stuck into the walls as well.

And they said playing video games is boring. Get a life!

Pessimeister: 96, 800

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t0010.png Views:\t15 Size:\t12.8 KB ID:\t2203214","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2203214","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

Got lucky with the 10 k drops - missed my 100 k goal though. I suspect I need to try out Derek's "Better part of valor" option. (fleeing!)

When to fight or flee, that s the question. A bit of Goblin Shakespeare it seems. Be the Bard of Monsters, and you'll work it out ... :whitey:

• Like 1

What is this from that it is dated Oct 2019?

Now if I tell you, then you'll know that I go to any extreme to make you gamers happy. OK you win.

The article is from Paleotronic Issue Number 6. There's a great spread on some horror video games in that issue. 120 pages of worthwhile reading when you take a short break from playing GNG.

• Like 1

Not sure if I should submit this due to a massive increase in score without progressing further into the game. Four out of the 5 deaths came right at the end of the caves. Three of these were due to being killed by the Dragon and one by being hit by a Red Arremer's shot while falling to the final section. As a result I was able to collect the hidden 10K bonus at the end of the caves 4 times which explains at least 30K of my score increase. None of these deaths were deliberate and there was no leeching in the caves or shooting gravestones or rocks. Just a normal run that fell apart in the caves that I normally would've quit and restarted.

Attaching the inp as I've done with nearly every submission for this game. I'll leave it up to OOO and or general community opinion whether this is accepted or not.

RJM_gng_174700_w183.zip

0000.png.c73a581897c5efdcd8bab46923f444e8.png

• Like 4

Not sure if I should submit this due to a massive increase in score without progressing further into the game. Four out of the 5 deaths came right at the end of the caves. Three of these were due to being killed by the Dragon and one by being hit by a Red Arremer's shot while falling to the final section. As a result I was able to collect the hidden 10K bonus at the end of the caves 4 times which explains at least 30K of my score increase. None of these deaths were deliberate and there was no leeching in the caves or shooting gravestones or rocks. Just a normal run that fell apart in the caves that I normally would've quit and restarted.

Attaching the inp as I've done with nearly every submission for this game. I'll leave it up to OOO and or general community opinion whether this is accepted or not.

[ATTACH]n2203518[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t0000.png Views:\t8 Size:\t15.4 KB ID:\t2203519","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2203519","data-size":"large"}[/ATTACH]

No leeching is the way to go. So this score is fine. Only a few days to go on this game too!

• Like 2

[ATTACH]n2203518[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":2203519}[/ATTACH]

I'm good with it, it was not done with intent, whilst it hasn't happened to me that deep in the game I have got the 10k bonus a couple of times after a death in the second half of Stage 1, also not done with intent, I just died and had to repeat. If it is ruled otherwise I can check the INP for my current submitted score to see if it complies with the ruling.

My 2 cents is its all good.

Note: I have also wondered about collecting the wizard 2k bonus, whats everyone's opinion here. I not sure it is playing to advance, but if others are doing it I like to confirm it is within the spirit of the competition. My thought is you have to linger to shoot the tombstone 15 times to collect the bonus, so is that playing to advance and not just point pressing? Just to be clear disclaimer: I am not seeking to start any debates around validity of any current scores, not my intent, I'm only playing for fun, I just want to seek clarity for my own attempts.

• Like 1

Pessimeister: 101, 700

0011.png.8356d557a29ac66bbdad8e860f726639.png

Goal achieved after some sweat and tears. :D I find it interesting that the more you repeat certain scoring heavy sections in one game (the ogre area) obviously your score can seem bloated and larger without actually achieving further progress. In this case, I died just before the dragon to the last Arremer twice but lucked out severely with a 10 k Yashichi on both drops. Is this the same bonus that Rob mentions? I've only killed the dragon twice now but with a much lower score. I should probably do some reading on what the "2 k wizard bonus" is too - there's so much I don't know about this game.

• Like 3

Pessimeister: 101, 700

Goal achieved after some sweat and tears. :D I find it interesting that the more you repeat certain scoring heavy sections in one game (the ogre area) obviously your score can seem bloated and larger without actually achieving further progress. In this case, I died just before the dragon to the last Arremer twice but lucked out severely with a 10 k Yashichi on both drops. Is this the same bonus that Rob mentions? I've only killed the dragon twice now but with a much lower score. I should probably do some reading on what the "2 k wizard bonus" is too - there's so much I don't know about this game.

The 10 k Yashichi is exactly what I was talking about. Triggering the one just before the Dragon is just a matter of moving left when you land and dropping into the small slightly lower section of ground next to the wall. The hardest part is often avoiding the Arremer while collecting it. The "2 k wizard bonus" would be shooting the winged creature (it's a wizard on Ghouls n Ghosts) that appears on the gravestones after shooting a gravestone 15 times. Also works on the rocks in the first half of the caves.

• Like 2

I'm good with it, it was not done with intent, whilst it hasn't happened to me that deep in the game I have got the 10k bonus a couple of times after a death in the second half of Stage 1, also not done with intent, I just died and had to repeat. If it is ruled otherwise I can check the INP for my current submitted score to see if it complies with the ruling.

My 2 cents is its all good.

Note: I have also wondered about collecting the wizard 2k bonus, whats everyone's opinion here. I not sure it is playing to advance, but if others are doing it I like to confirm it is within the spirit of the competition. My thought is you have to linger to shoot the tombstone 15 times to collect the bonus, so is that playing to advance and not just point pressing? Just to be clear disclaimer: I am not seeking to start any debates around validity of any current scores, not my intent, I'm only playing for fun, I just want to seek clarity for my own attempts.

I'm also fine with Robert's description of how the score happened. Sometimes we make it all the way to the end and keep dying, it's not to go for points it's trying to progress.

Shooting the gravestones isn't in the spirit of the game rules set forth for this event.

For passing the dragon after the bridge I have been going backwards so that the dragon disappears and I can advance in the game easier. I also crouch and jump to get the 2 giants to jump up to the next level so that I can climb the ladder, although I still haven't made it past them without losing my armor or just dying.

I have played a few more times but have not made it as far as I did earlier. I even played a few games where I point pressed to just mix things up and found that I seem to die more often and can't even make it past the bridge anymore when pressing, my scores were higher but it wasn't as fun when I wasn't making progress.

• Like 2

32,500pts

I'm realizing part of my problem with this game is that I've always had a hard time with it so I'm super conservative with my game play. It seems I could benefit from a little more dashing and a little less calculating.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"gng32500pts.png","data-attachmentid":2203628}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"gng32500pts.zip","data-attachmentid":2203629}[/ATTACH]

Well here's your chance. Try what you are thinking and see how it goes ... :045: