Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Trackballs & Spinners

I just wanted to say to everyone in this MGL, there are definitely trackball, paddle (spinner) and dual stick games that will be played in MGL47. Steering wheel games were also in the nomination pool. You may wish to organise some equipment or work out how you will play these types of games.

:)

If you are able to delay trackball/duel stick games and release them in the second half in order to give players more time to get their equipment together then i am sure everyone will appreciate it. I plan on playing paddle/spinner games using either a control panel with joystick with 4 way gate on it or using 2 buttons for left/right depending what feels better for the game. Paddle/Spinner games i can think of off the top of my head include Arkanoid 1 and 2, Tempest, Tron and Discs of Tron so maybe one of them. A Thrustmaster flight control stick should be good for the joystick if its either of the Trons and would possibly be an alternative solution for trackball games too with it being flexible in any direction. Duel stick games possibly Assault, Black Widow, Smash TV, Total Carnage or Robotron 2084. Theres probably more but just going off what i can think of off the top of my head.

I have got a custom made duel stick control panel on order from a guy who makes them who is in a facebook group which i am a member of. He made my other custom control panel so i know its going to be good quality. Not as good as a real machine but still good for practicing on mame. My current duel stick control setup for mame until i get that upgrade are 2 standard panels with tall joystick on each placed next to each other if that helps anyone for ideas for duel stick setups or if anyone wants his website link just give me a shout via pm.

controller.png.6cf4c61b796257c6e9209416a12ea762.png

• Like 2

If you are able to delay trackball/duel stick games and release them in the second half in order to give players more time to get their equipment together then i am sure everyone will appreciate it.

Yes that is happening for that purpose. So for the next 4 weeks, there won't be any trackball, spinner, dual stick or steering wheel games posted. To all gamers, please use the time to work out and organise what you need. Many of you will find that playing these types of games is even more fun. It takes new skills and even more strategy, under these nova game mechanics. You'll see ... :cool:

• Like 2

Yes that is happening for that purpose. So for the next 4 weeks, there won't be any trackball, spinner, dual stick or steering wheel games posted. To all gamers, please use the time to work out and organise what you need. Many of you will find that playing these types of games is even more fun. It takes new skills and even more strategy, under these nova game mechanics. You'll see ... :cool:

thanks for confirming this. I am hoping to be able to play them on a real machine as well as mame :)

• Like 2

If you are able to delay trackball/duel stick games and release them in the second half in order to give players more time to get their equipment together then i am sure everyone will appreciate it. I plan on playing paddle/spinner games using either a control panel with joystick with 4 way gate on it or using 2 buttons for left/right depending what feels better for the game. Paddle/Spinner games i can think of off the top of my head include Arkanoid 1 and 2, Tempest, Tron and Discs of Tron so maybe one of them. A Thrustmaster flight control stick should be good for the joystick if its either of the Trons and would possibly be an alternative solution for trackball games too with it being flexible in any direction. Duel stick games possibly Assault, Black Widow, Smash TV, Total Carnage or Robotron 2084. Theres probably more but just going off what i can think of off the top of my head.

I have got a custom made duel stick control panel on order from a guy who makes them who is in a facebook group which i am a member of. He made my other custom control panel so i know its going to be good quality. Not as good as a real machine but still good for practicing on mame. My current duel stick control setup for mame until i get that upgrade are 2 standard panels with tall joystick on each placed next to each other if that helps anyone for ideas for duel stick setups or if anyone wants his website link just give me a shout via pm.

That is a nice custom Defender and Stargate control panel. I built one myself that is exact replica minus the awesome graphics you have.

Not sure what we are getting ourselves into with these newer control schemes that we are going to be playing with but I know it will be fun trying them out.

I just received my button spinner that was recommended above and also ordered another dual joystick/trackball.

• Like 2

That is a nice custom Defender and Stargate control panel. I built one myself that is exact replica minus the awesome graphics you have.

Not sure what we are getting ourselves into with these newer control schemes that we are going to be playing with but I know it will be fun trying them out.

I just received my button spinner that was recommended above and also ordered another dual joystick/trackball.

thanks :) I bought it second hand from one of my friends from the group about a year ago. Williams Defender Players Unite facebook group if you have heard of it. Mainly Defender, Stargate and Robotron fans plus a few Jousters in there as well. Loads of really nice guys with a variety of different skill levels ranging from beginner to being able to roll it on maximum difficulty settings. I have managed to break into 6 figures a few times on a real Defender machine not managed it on mame though even with the Defender/Stargate controller. One thing is for sure its definately going to be fun trying the different controls out on mame.

• Like 2

see youall in the centipede/Millipede/Missile command/Tempest or what ever might be....and may all your games be good.

Hi @Ace1942 I like the custom controller - you'll need a third button for Missile Command.

Yours looks like a left handed setup with the buttons on the right while the arcade machines were the other way.

X-Arcade hedged their bets on the trackball controller with the three buttons duplicated to suit either preference.

Regards, John

Hi @Ace1942 I like the custom controller - you'll need a third button for Missile Command.

Yours looks like a left handed setup with the buttons on the right while the arcade machines were the other way.

X-Arcade hedged their bets on the trackball controller with the three buttons duplicated to suit either preference.

Regards, John

Thanks mate,

Wasn't sure about how many buttons I might need, thanks for the heads up. I can put another in fairly easily if Missile Command comes up.

To be honest I threw it together pretty quick without a lot of planning. Also knowing I will be building something a lot nicer down the track, its a bit of a test setup.

I'm ordering a spinner now as well so will need to squeeze that in somewhere. Joystick + Trackball + Spinner...hmmm I might need to develop a modular panel to keep it lap sized.

• Like 1

Got my Atari fight stick today and loving it. Better response and no ghosting of controls that I have seen yet. X-Arcade was exhibiting ghosting and also not allowing buttons to be pressed over and over so I couldn't string together a long string of shots or action. The thing is a monster compared to X-Arcade too, almost 2x heavier and 20% more surface area. Going to be putting in the spinner later on and test that out too.
  • Like 2

the latest addition to my arsenal :)

Tracy - did you make or buy that? I try and play Robotron with joystick and 4 buttons but it isn't great. There are some scores over at MARP of people getting 500k+ playing with keyboard!

Tracy - did you make or buy that? I try and play Robotron with joystick and 4 buttons but it isn't great. There are some scores over at MARP of people getting 500k+ playing with keyboard!

I bought it. One of the members of the Williams group made it. He is uk based so he can probably make you one and get it posted https://retrostick84.wixsite.com/mysite is his website. Its really good quality so definately recommended.

• Like 2

Got my X-Arcade 2 player tank stick with trackball yesterday. It's FAR bigger than I expected.

I haven't tried the trackball part yet but I have to say I don't like the springy paddle joysticks at all for general arcade games.

I think my friends will like it for fighting games though... I think.

Right now the track ball is really the only benefit to what was a rather expensive joystick. I think in hindsight a simple trackball device would have been better.

Anyway, we shall see how it plays for the games it's needed.

• Like 1

... Williams Defender Players Unite Facebook group if you have heard of it. Mainly Defender, Stargate and Robotron fans plus a few Jousters in there as well. Loads of really nice guys with a variety of different skill levels ranging from beginner to being able to roll it on maximum difficulty settings.

I'm really interested in checking out this group being that I've been an avid player of Williams games since the early 80's (managed to roll all 4 titles). I tried to find the group on Facebook but got an error when trying to access it ("This Content Isn't Available Right Now. When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.).

If you have a link that would be great. Thanks!

I'm really interested in checking out this group being that I've been an avid player of Williams games since the early 80's (managed to roll all 4 titles). I tried to find the group on Facebook but got an error when trying to access it ("This Content Isn't Available Right Now. When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.).

If you have a link that would be great. Thanks!

Looks like its set as a private group check your inbox and add me and i can add you

• 3 months later...

1. Mouse wheel can be used by hacking in a cheap rotary encoder - simple cheap & it does actually work quite well for most games (not Arkanoid & a few others).

Most also have a switch function (push down). All that is needed is a USB mouse with working wheel, rotary encoder (20 positions with switch is the type I used) as little as 1 hole in CP is all that is needed. It does feel clunky though because of the detents, some encoders have a smooth feel but they are not as common, on some cheap ones it's not too hard to remove the detents also.

1-hole.thumb.jpg.fcfcebc6729e06b9689831657fcc02e3.jpg encoder.thumb.jpg.0472824e7f08d2cee63cf21a32463d84.jpg

2. Bit trickier but great results is to use one of the axis of a (USB) ball mouse, for this one used fly wheel from broken c64 cassette deck, USB ball mouse with working x or y axis - wall plug for the shaft - old radio dial - wood base to fit standard joystick - me not fancy me cheap :)

spinner_m.jpg.61130f4647ddbd5ebb169a2e73078c82.jpg

Results are very good but will depend on dpi of mouse used (one of mine is perfect 1200dpi?, the other is very good but if spun too fast mame don't like it seems fine in win (still sussing that out... Regardless of spinner used analogue control sensitivity needs to be adjusted - for the encoder use very low sensitivity & high digital speed in general & for a mouse axis type just adjust sensitivity. Obviously you need to set up correct axis for relevant control.

Axis-setting-1200dpi.thumb.jpg.26796b5a8896496ed096260b4d2cc6fa.jpg Controls.thumb.jpg.0030dc2302fa864c2abdb664ed6b4a75.jpg

Some dial & two joystick games also require top fire stick:

Tron.thumb.jpg.c1ddeb41a59281feb189116afc3d38ed.jpg

• Like 1