Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MiSTerCade (Pre-Order) is official

Will be interested to see how this pans out. Could be an excellent way forward when it comes to emulator cabs. Can't see myself ever going down this path with GroovyMAME being available and already amazing, but I can see why people would be keen on this.
  • Like 2

Like I said in the other post, I have been QA testing this device from the very first Beta board and it’s continued to grow not only feature wise but also in stability. In time there’ll be more announcements regarding features too :) The testing group are a very knowledgeable bunch and it’s been run on so many various cabs, candies, superguns and soak tested with no issues.

I can’t stress how seamless this solution is and obviously what a step up it is from MAME or RPi setups in regards to accuracy and it’s “plug and play� “set and forget� friendliness. What you’re seeing in the reveal videos are still Beta PCB builds, the RC PCBs are on their way back from the fab and I’ll do a run down once it gets here.

This is a great way to play consoles (most stuff from pre-PS1 atm) in a cab alongside CPS1, Neo Geo, CPS2 and stuff like Wonderboy, Rygar, Ghosts & Goblins, Bubble Bobble, Tapper, DoDonPachi, Dangun Feveron and a host of others, with more being added constantly. It’s accurate with refinements being made constantly.

The setup price may seem costly, but it’s a no brainer given the prices of PCBs lately.

• Like 1

Do you know (can you say) what kind of numbers are being made? I haven't bitten the bullet yet with MiSTer (I've been waiting for something like this), but would prefer to wait until I know how many kidneys I'll need to sell to finance the CPS1 multi.
  • Like 1

I believe there are 500 being made, I can also tell you in all honesty that the pre-orders are selling well. If you wanted to get in on it, better sooner than later, but Porkchop said he’d order extra units so no fretting on it as I’m sure it will be a regular stocked item.

I saw a $ number for the CPS-1 Multi on the AP forums a few days ago too? Wasn’t that bad. But also depends what number you are on the list as to what batch it will end up being :) That multi is a beast with the CPS1.5 support!

Correct. You need a DE10-nano + SDRAM + MiSTerCade board to throw it into a JAMMA cabinet.

The I/O board kind of becomes redundant unless you want to set up that way for PVM/console gaming, etc.

For me who is relatively new to the scene, a dedicated arcade cabinet with the PCB I love (Rygar), plus 2 x Candy cabs for all the vertical and horizontal games I could want, means I'm going to have to pony up for another DE10-nano + SDRAM + MiSTerCade eventually.

• Like 1

For me who is relatively new to the scene, a dedicated arcade cabinet with the PCB I love (Rygar), plus 2 x Candy cabs for all the vertical and horizontal games I could want, means I'm going to have to pony up for another DE10-nano + SDRAM + MiSTerCade eventually.

Oh, and another Candy Cab of course! Cheers, John

Correct. You need a DE10-nano + SDRAM + MiSTerCade board to throw it into a JAMMA cabinet.

The I/O board kind of becomes redundant unless you want to set up that way for PVM/console gaming, etc.

Better than having the Mistercades and no cabs :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, djsheep said:

One of those in that stack is on its way to me! So excited, I can’t wait until he announces all the new features and additions… 

Geezus mate don't you already have a beta, send one this way!

I have to wait for the official release 😞

@djsheep you may be able to tell me cause it's no clear to me. Will the Mistercade power the MiSTer as well? Like plug and play no barrel plug required?

• Like 1

If I could, I would! The process is generally that testers get every revision of the product. The bugs we’ve submitted during testing then go through regression testing and then closed out as fixed. This is the RC board (release candidate). Once all 8 active testers get their boards and give it the thumbs up, it will get manufactured for the public. There’ll no doubt be some very minor changes, but hopefully nothing major. It’s basically done now, which is rewarding as we’ve been couped up on Discord seeing this thing grow and talking daily through issues and offering suggestions. It’s a trip seeing this one come to life.

I’ve got a box of revisions of all kind of arcade stuff I’ve done testing for here. Maybe in decades it will be historically relevant. Mind you I am a QA Tester for gaming hardware/software as a profession and take all this seriously 🙂

Re: power, it’s powered straight from the JAMMA edge. No need for the external PSU. It only uses 12v from JAMMA. There’s a minor load provided on 5v and -5v to cope with any tricky PSU’s that expect it but it shouldn’t be an issue. If you have the DE-10, RAM and SD. You’re fully set. CPS-1/2 kick harness is on board for the extra buttons.

There’ll be files you download which include an .ini with settings alongside mappings for all current cores. Which really saves a lot of time. 

We should catch up sometime and I can give you a demo or bring it around if you like? I wanted to catch up with @namastepat at some point with it too as he’s a expert on MAME and wanted to get his comparative thoughts. 

Edited by djsheep
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, djsheep said:

Re: power, it’s powered straight from the JAMMA edge. No need for PSU. It only uses 12v. There’s a minor load provided on 5v and -5v to cope with any tricky PSU’s that expect it but it shouldn’t be an issue. If you have the DE-10, RAM and SD. You’re set. CPS-1/2 kick harness is on board for the extra buttons.

There’ll be files you download which include and .ini with settings alongside mappings for all current cores. Which really saves a lot of time. 

We should catch up sometime and I can give you a demo or bring it around if you like? I wanted to catch up with @namastepat at some point with it too as he’s a expert on MAME and wanted to get his comparative thoughts. 

That is BRILLIANT! Yeah def need @namastepatto reorginse the cancelled get together once the mask reqstrictions are lifted (soon we hope!) Need beer and games session ASAP. Maybe you could bring along one of the MiSTercade setups to plug into Pat's machines to get him over the line with getting one! 😄

I am in the midst of organising my Exceleena (blue) from Melbourne with Bill's Van and have already got the extra MisterFPGA ready to go!

The Cyberlead is currently using the I/O board and JPAC and is working but requires that extra barrel lead as I have no clue how to get +5v from the Cyberlead PSU (no PSU screws to attach wires too!). I'm considering a second Mistercade just for ease of setup but thats money I really don't want to spend if I can get that +5v from the PSU.

All this below would get replaced with a single Mistercade PCB, got to be happy with that!

IMG_7038.thumb.JPG.445cd7808aa490168b51bf106dbad5dc.JPG

Edited by gsuttor
  • Like 1

Now that lockdown is over, bring it around whenever, just shoot me a message and we can arrange it. 

I am far from an expert on MAME, I just like GroovyMAME due to the 15khz output and ease of use with CRT_EMU driver. I'd likely never notice a difference between MisterCADE and GroovyMAME, as to my eye, they would pretty much look identical.

The only games I emulate that aren't 100% supported by MAME are the CAVE CV1000 games, as MAME doesn't support the proper slowdown. I'd love to play them with proper slowdown, but the Mister is a long way off supporting those games, from my understanding anyway.

We can easily do a test where you load a game on the MisterCADE and I load a game on GroovyMAME for a side by side comparison. Will be interesting to see it running.

• Like 2

Ok. I’ll drop you a SMS Pat, maybe we can do a Sunday session in a couple of weeks. 

My recent MAME experiences are regulated to a MacBook, so you know how crappy that is.  

CV1K IMO is a pipe dream. If the Saturn core takes off, that gives me hope. But I assume there might need to be dual RAM or something funky like that? 

• Like 1

I expect in the future, we will have an FPGA device that can do CAVE properly, but right now, it's likely just too hardcore to emulate with current FPGA tech. Once they do manage it, they will have CAVE fans kicking down their doors to get a PCB. The slowdown on the Xbox360 versions isn't even close in most instances either.

• Like 1

Also I believe the Intel (student) subsidies on DE10 Nanos has been removed, so finding them now will be harder and more costly. I nabbed the last one a local guy does as a side-hussle and he said he won't stocking or doing it any more. If you want a DE10 nano and you see one, nab it quick.