Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

World Championship of eSports 2021

Se4Mty3.png

Hi Gamers World Wide,

The World Championship of eSports for 2021 will begin on Friday April 2nd 2021. Some of the toughest video games of all time will be played. This will be bigger and better than last season, with some improved rule changes, and greater competition.

Competition:

The gamer with the highest total competition score over the tournaments MGL47, MGL48, MGL49 and MGL50 will be the World Champion of eSports for 2021. This is a tough 32 weeks with 44 games season, competing world wide on the most challenging arcade video games on the planet. If there is a tie on the overall scoreboard, then a head to head game win count will be used to determine the final placings. If there is still a tie, then the accumulated game scores will determine the placings.

Prizes:

In January 2022, the World Champion will win, as well as the prestigious and undisputed title of World Champion of eSports for 2021, 430 USD in cash. 2nd place will win 170 USD, 3rd place will win 130 USD, 4th place will win 115 USD, 5th place will win 110 USD, 6th place will win 105 USD and 7th place will win 100 USD.

Additionally, in each MGL, every gamer that plays all of the games has the chance to win the mystery prize. So if there are 11 games and you play and submit for all 11, then if you are drawn from the pool of qualifiers, then you will win all of the prizes. Whether you finish in the top half or the lower half of the tournament, you still have a chance to win. Prizes will be cash and/or video gaming memorabilia. For example, in MGL47 there will be 6 mystery prizes.

Points system:

The incremental points system will be used for each game. 1st place will earn 100 points, 2nd place 99 points, 3rd place 98 points and so on. All gamers will earn competition points for their scores and the points system may be adjusted incrementally higher due to the number of submissions for that game.

Games:

Games are nominated by the competitors and sent by PM to the Gamemaster. Games must be selected from 1976 to 1993. The number of games that can be nominated by each competitor will be posted for each MGL. The games to be played in the competition will be randomly drawn from the pool of nominations. Only unique games will be in the pool, as there will be no duplications from nominations. The order of game play will be determined by the Gamemaster and each game will be released weekly for competition.

aUTFwME.png

Settings:

The game settings will be posted in each MGL and gamers must ensure they compete on these settings only. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing allowed. No auto fire allowed. No cheats allowed. No stitching of inps from using save states in MAME.

Any WolfMAME version can be used. Only the version 0.106 ROM set will be posted for each game and the equivalent for other MAME versions can be used.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

Submissions:

Gamers are to post a screenshot/photo of their score with initials in the game thread. Games are only open for 17 days and any score submissions made after the game is closed will not be accepted. Scores at aussiearcade.com will be combined with scores from twingalaxies.com to form the World Championship Scoreboard.

Gamers:

Professional and casual gamers can play all or just some of the games. Gamers do not need to nominate games to play, they can play any game during the tournament. Streaming games and posting/sharing tips are encouraged, as is friendly banter in the gaming community. Striving for PBs, learning and playing the best a gamer can are all highly encouraged. As all members at AA are registered, there is no additional registration process for the championships.

Changes to the World Championship of eSports:

Compared to last season, 8 changes have been made.

1. 44 different games will be played this season, compared to 40 different games last season, an increase of 4 games.

2. Each MGL will have 11 different games, compared to 10 each last season. The previous season to last was 9 each.

3. To improve the gamer engagement and the excitement of the competition, 2 games will now be launched at the start and after weeks 2, 4 and 6. The 2021 season will be 32 weeks and has not changed compared to last season.

4. The prize money has been increased in season 2021 for the 4th consecutive season.

5. There is a new 2X bonus multiplier that will be applied to all prize money, if 120 or more different gamers compete anywhere across the four MGL tournaments. For example in this case, 1st prize will win 430 x 2 = 860 USD, 2nd prize 170 x 2 = 340 USD and so on.

6. If 70 or more different gamers play in one MGL, there will be 2 mystery prizes for 2 gamers, instead of 1 mystery prize for 1 gamer. If 100 or more different gamers play in one MGL, there will be 3 mystery prizes for 3 gamers.

7. Games can now be selected from 1976 to 1993. This is an increase of 3 years on last season, which was from 1976 to 1990.

8. Steering wheel games, trackball games and dual stick games can now be nominated. These games were not allowed last season.

Further details will be posted at the launch of each MGL. Good gaming and good luck to all competitors.

OOO

Sxj1tbD.png

• Like 5

wow i didnt realise duel stick games were previously not allowed. I had 3 of them in my noms last time if i remember correctly lol. At least they are allowed now and thats the most important thing. Looking forward to this getting started :)
  • Like 2

Just keeps getting better & better, looking forward to playing some track ball games now :)

What games are you thinking of? :rolleyes

There are so many that I remember. Like one that was in the Pixels movie, another involving a bear collecting gems, and a race of dibs on a great looking field. There's plenty more ...:cool:

• Like 2

There are so many that I remember. Like one that was in the Pixels movie, another involving a bear collecting gems, and a race of dibs on a great looking field. There's plenty more ...:cool:

that will be centipede, crystal castles and marble madness :) There is millipede and missile command too as trackball games

• Like 2

that will be centipede, crystal castles and marble madness :) There is millipede and missile command too as trackball games

You are spot on for all of my 3 hinted trackball games. Nice one. And they are all ATARI games, just like Millipede and Missile Command. How about that? So what is trackball not from ATARI? Hmmm ...

• Like 1

Tekan world cup is another. Its a 2 player football tabletop game both players using a trackball. Not sure who made it though.

The manufacturer at the time was actually Tehkan from Japan. They later changed name to Tecmo. So you found one non ATARI game.

• Like 1

I don’t have a steering wheel or trackball:tumbleweeds

In MAME, you can map your controls to the joystick and buttons. For example, if we play Pole Position, you can map either the joystick or 2 buttons for steering left and right. Or this event gives you an excuse to buy a trackball and a steering wheel if you like ... :cool:

Over 26 years, it's hard to not see the same games show up many times in the MGL. It will be nice to now have many new games mixed in with the ones we've always been playing. Helps to "refresh" things when nominating games. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Guess I'll get to use one of my controllers after all. Been so used to just using a keyboard, but games like Robotron, for me at least, are impossible to play on the keyboard. So it looks like I'll be breaking out my X-Arcade or Hotrod controllers after all. :D
  • Like 1

I'm thinking about nominating Swimmer, Space Zap, Time Pilot, Side Arms, Mr Driller, Out Zone & Kung-Fu Master. :)

• Like 1

I'm thinking about nominating Swimmer, Space Zap, Time Pilot, Side Arms, Mr Driller, Out Zone & Kung-Fu Master. :)

They all sound good. Swimmer is very fun and very hard. Space Zap is just super quick. Time Pilot gets pretty tough just parachute hunting. Side Arms would be nice and new. Out Zone frantic, Mr Driller catchy and Kung-Fu Master a great platformer. But none of these use a trackball or steering wheel, so there are even more games to think about ... :rolleyes

• Like 1

Over 26 years, it's hard to not see the same games show up many times in the MGL. It will be nice to now have many new games mixed in with the ones we've always been playing. Helps to "refresh" things when nominating games. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Guess I'll get to use one of my controllers after all. Been so used to just using a keyboard, but games like Robotron, for me at least, are impossible to play on the keyboard. So it looks like I'll be breaking out my X-Arcade or Hotrod controllers after all. :D

I see what you are saying about keeping them fresh. For me only 2 games have been decided on 100% so far both of which have come up before one in Esports 2017 and the other was over 10 years ago so not all that recently. Last MGL i did throw one in that most likely nobody will have ever heard of so thinking of maybe throwing that one in again this time. After that its see what i feel like playing at the time, how many noms are allowed and maybe lean more towards games which have either never come up before or at least not in Esports 2018 or later for this next MGL.

Edited by Tracey

48 hours until the MGL47 press release ... :)

I am finishing the competition details, artwork and trailer right now. This is going to be fun, fun, fun ... :jester:

Edited by OOO
  • Like 1

48 hours until the MGL47 press release ... :)

I am finishing the competition details, artwork and trailer right now. This is gong to be fun, fun, fun ... :jester:

Looking forward to seeing the trailer..... �:116:

• Like 1

MGL Statistics On Repeated Games and New Games ...

I read the posts from SMK and Tracey regarding same game frequency, and sharpened up my SQL skills, to dig deeper into the numbers. Here are the results.

In the last 4 years of competition, from 2017 to 2020 inclusive, 16 x MGL tournaments were held. 146 games in total were played.

1. Of these games, 10 were played twice, or only 7 percent were played twice. That's 7 in every 100 games played. That's very low.

2. 136 different games were played, or 93% of the 146 games played were unique. That's very high.

3. 54 games were never played before, which is 37% of all games played. That's 1 in 3 games played in the MGL, were never played before. That's been very challenging.

4. The only gamers who have played every game from MGL31 to MGL46 inclusive, over the the last 4 years, are Daniel Larsen and Robert Macauley.

5. There have been 8 different MGL champions over the 16 tournaments held, or 50% of tournaments have a different MGL champion. That's healthy competition.

What makes the numbers even more special, is that you gamers nominate the games. So what is played is full credit given to the gamers who nominated them. Nice one!

• Like 1

Interesting MGL stats on the repeated games!

I know for me in my nominations, I always try to select games that hitherto, I have yet to experience under the MGL banner. I think it's more fun and unpredictable that way and the sense of discovery is stronger when something comes up which is both new and enjoyable. Still love the many times played classics too, naturally and will do my best regardless of what comes up.

The new age selection bracket is absolutely fascinating - bring on the Robocade! :)

• Like 2

Interesting MGL stats on the repeated games!

I know for me in my nominations, I always try to select games that hitherto, I have yet to experience under the MGL banner. I think it's more fun and unpredictable that way and the sense of discovery is stronger when something comes up which is both new and enjoyable. Still love the many times played classics too, naturally and will do my best regardless of what comes up.

The new age selection bracket is absolutely fascinating - bring on the Robocade! :)

yes it is interesting to see the statistics. One thing i enjoy about this is it gets me trying out new games that i might not have found otherwise. I picked one from 1991 this time. Had to make sure i picked one from the extended year range as well as ones from my favorite era of games 1981-1983 plus a fun game i found from 1990. Looking forward to it starting.

• Like 1

In MAME, you can map your controls to the joystick and buttons. For example, if we play Pole Position, you can map either the joystick or 2 buttons for steering left and right. Or this event gives you an excuse to buy a trackball and a steering wheel if you like ... :cool:

Shame, I just finished rebuilding and rewiring my console in prep for MGL47, but nvmd I now have a new project and am out hunting for a trackball already, want to go for that authentic game play feel :023:.....but who needs an excuse anyways bring on MGL47. Don't think I'll be getting a steering wheel setup though, just not that into driving games.

• Like 1