Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

VR games - what's good ?

I'm picking up a VR headset later this week, an Oculus Rift-S that i'm getting super cheap. I understand the Quest 2 is already out but it's 3x what i'm paying for the rift-s, and the Quest Pro is coming soon, etc... But, just wanting to get my feet virtually wet at this stage, and see if it's something that will stick with me as a jaded 54 year old gamer who's looking for something new and interesting in gaming. I've played some small experiences a few years ago at a VR booth place in Melbourne and loved it so I'm keen to see how things have progressed.

I've looked online and complied a list of what looks interesting to me...

Anything else I should think about ? Or anything not on this list that people really like ?

the walking dead saints and sinners

boneworks

pistol whip

half-life Alyx

vertigo 2

vader immortal

beat sabre

no mans sky vr

medal of honour above and beyond

hellspit arena VR

asgard's wrath

star wars squadrons

falcon age

skyrim vr

doom vfr

moss

ONWARD

dirt rally (x)

assetto corsa

defector

space pirate trainer

elite - dangerous

arizona sunshine

serious sam vr

Thanks for feedback and thoughts !

You've covered the main games I can think of.

Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Space Pirate Trainer and Arizona Sunshine would be the most used of those listed with my mates.

I'd also recommend:

- Blue Effect - A very atmospheric wave shooter. It's the one I use when 1st demoing VR to friends. Good for a scare too. One female friend almost burst my eardrum.

- VR Sports Challenge - Has a few sport games including Gridiron, Basketball & Ice Hockey. Hilarious to watch friends dive around thinking they are Ice Hockey goalies.

- iBCricket - Excellent cricket simulator

- I Expect You To Die - A puzzle / Adventure style game

- Operation Warcade - Like the arcade game but with VR effects

- Knockout League - Arcade style boxing

- Richie's Plank Experience - Set it up with a plank of wood on the ground - You'll be amazed how hesitant people will be to walk (or even refuse to walk) the plank when they feel it is 50m in the air

And the best of the lot, SUPERHOT. Matrix style game where bullets / weapons only move when you do.

• Like 1

Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Space Pirate Trainer and Arizona Sunshine would be the most used of those listed with my mates.

I'd also recommend:

- Blue Effect - A very atmospheric wave shooter. It's the one I use when 1st demoing VR to friends. Good for a scare too. One female friend almost burst my eardrum.

- VR Sports Challenge - Has a few sport games including Gridiron, Basketball & Ice Hockey. Hilarious to watch friends dive around thinking they are Ice Hockey goalies.

- Richie's Plank Experience - Set it up with a plank of wood on the ground - You'll be amazed how hesitant people will be to walk (or even refuse to walk) the plank when they feel it is 50m in the air

And the best of the lot, SUPERHOT. Matrix style game where bullets / weapons only move when you do.

Thanks for the reccos. That plank game sounds like a hoot, I'll definitely look into that. I even have a spare plank :)

I've just tried Superhot last night, after playing it a lot on PC previously. In VR, it is crazy !!!! My only gripe with Superhot is the backtracking you need to do sometimes but MAN if you ever wanted to feel like a kickarse super ninja Neo/Matrix bullet time, Superhot in VR is it. One of my favourite moments so far is watching the bullets fly past and using the knife to slice them in half :cool:

Space Pirate Trainer is such a great Arcade blast ! And Half Life Alyx is not only stunning to look at but absolutely terrifying at times :o being inside, and feeling a part of that Half Life world for the first time has been just one the coolest gaming experiences I have had ever, given I still remember being blown away by the original in '98. 22 years later i'm inside the game like Tron. there are just so many great VR games out now, of such a high standard, it's a great time to get into VR especially with Headsets plummeting in price.

Have you played Lone Echo ? So atmospheric, and you really feel like you're in zero gravity.

My vote for most disturbing VR experience that brings out the madman in you - Blade and Sorcery. I could have just kept playing and playing but i started getting a little concerned for my sanity :D there are tons of interesting user mods / conversions for it too including some (cough) adult mods.

Edited by Jed
usual typos and shit

I'd also recommend:

So I played Rickie's plank experience. Haha !! That was funny. Wife was cacking herself at my reluctance to just walk slowly along the floor of our lounge room.

She has no interest in VR but tried this cause it wasn't 'a game' - she couldn't take more than a couple of steps on the virtual plank, and lost balance and let out a piercing scream :lol

Amazing how much your senses are fooled - i mean you know it's not real but still the body freaks out at doing it.

• Like 1

Check out Google Earth VR ... it keeps me entertained for ages flying around the world checking out places i've never been to. The last game that i played that i was really stoked on was "The Room VR: A Dark Matter", it's an escape type game which isn't everyone's cup of tea but i loved it. There's heaps of free demos out there so make the most of them as well.
  • Like 2

Check out Google Earth VR ... it keeps me entertained for ages flying around the world checking out places i've never been to. The last game that i played that i was really stoked on was "The Room VR: A Dark Matter", it's an escape type game which isn't everyone's cup of tea but i loved it. There's heaps of free demos out there so make the most of them as well.

Cheers, i did that last night, and geez, Google Earth is amazing in VR. Went and stood under 'Christ the redeemer' statue in Brazil, looked out over the mountains and valleys, gobsmacked. It's brilliant.

I've been starting to look at the free demos when not playing games. there's a free Blade Runner 2049 app where you are playing a replicant. I haven't looked at that much but even just flying in the cop car above the city in the rain was a geekgasm for a fan. I'd love to see a VR game based on the original.

played Pistol Whip for the first time last night. What a blast that was.

After a week of solid play I think that the best PC games nowadays are in VR. I've not been very interested in PC gaming at all in recent times but VR has flipped that on it's head.

Would love to see some of the sports franchises move to VR like 2K and PES - as full games and not just mini-game experiences. Done in the same style that the game Moss has been done, they could be really amazing :cool:

These three games are going to destroy my house and anything or anyone near me: Until You Fall, Blade and Sorcery, and Hellspit Arena.

I'm thankful for the Oculus quick access passthrough camera, as the guardian system doesn't seem to be 100% reliable.

Also, i'm a bit surprised you can set a floor boundary and a play area boundary but you can't set a ceiling boundary. For taller, long-armed apes like myself, the lounge room ceiling fan has copped a flogging so far. Thankfully, it's only been on once when i smacked it. These touch controllers are hardy.

• Like 1

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

Edit:

I'll just put this video here, this is my favourite game at the moment, Pistol Whip. Old School Arcade shooting mixed with VR and pumping music is a great mix.

I never manage to shoot the dudes in time with the music, the guy in this video is an absolute badass and is smashing this game, i'm in awe.

[video=youtube_share;I-ejztP0vI8]

Edited by Jed
  • Like 1

Just got Pistol whip on the PSVR and its great fun!

Even worked up a sweat - guns blazing and music pumping

What I think I look like when playing to what I actually look like when playing

giphy.gif?cid=35e4938d2h7v100rjz5rugdtsv9xffe9e6g7xcuq2cj79146&rid=giphy.gif

giphy.gif?cid=35e4938dcbc3qeyt3sc40k5kcg6tfkyngdxxqknmze471cpo&rid=giphy.gif

• Like 3

Just got Pistol whip on the PSVR and its great fun!

Even worked up a sweat - guns blazing and music pumping

What I think I look like when playing to what I actually look like when playing

giphy.gif?cid=35e4938d2h7v100rjz5rugdtsv9xffe9e6g7xcuq2cj79146&rid=giphy.gif

giphy.gif?cid=35e4938dcbc3qeyt3sc40k5kcg6tfkyngdxxqknmze471cpo&rid=giphy.gif

It's such a great game :cool: not had this much fun playing a video game in years. Geez you can work up a sweat especially when you start cranking up the difficulty, i'm finding it hard to complete a level on medium even using the dual wielding modifier.

Have you played the expansion 2089 campaign mode ? the matrix moves go into overdrive, it's craaaaaazy :o

Edit:

I'll just put this video here, this is my favourite game at the moment, Pistol Whip. Old School Arcade shooting mixed with VR and pumping music is a great mix.

I never manage to shoot the dudes in time with the music, the guy in this video is an absolute badass and is smashing this game, i'm in awe.

[video=youtube_share;I-ejztP0vI8]

Totally agree. Pistol Whip is one of my top favourites on the Oculus Quest 2. Hey has anyone played Alyx on the Quest with cable?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The best games I've played in VR are various horror games. I can recommend ARIZONA SUNSHINE and ALIEN: ISOLATION. They are games with a very oppressive atmosphere that won't let you play for more than 15 minutes. When I went through them, I was very scared. At some points, I was so scared that I had to walk away for hours. But I'm sure you'll enjoy these games. I've also heard that it's somehow possible to play Minecraft in VR. But the downside is that you won't be able to with other players. If you try to play anything on my list, let me know.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For fans of VR and Half Life. If you've completed (the honestly brilliant, and one of my GOAT games on any platform, any era) Half Life Alyx, and still hankering for more in the world of the Combine, then you could do a lot worse than the just-released-today VR mod for Half-Life 2. The mod converts the original base game of Half Life 2 to VR, with full motion controls, everything, Full immersion in the Half Life Universe as Gordon Freeman. It's Open Beta and early access. You need to own the base Half-Life 2 game on steam, and the community-made mod is FREE. And it's absolutely brilliant. The Devs roadmap includes converting Episode 1 + 2 to VR as well in time. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/658920/HalfLife_2_VR_Mod/

Some of the most fun experiences in VR are community-made mods of existing games - such as "The Outer Rim" mod for the psychopathically fantastic Blade and Sorcery. The Outer Rim is a full Star Wars conversion for Blade and Sorcery, and if you haven't lived out your wildest fantasies as a lightsaber / blaster wielding madman running amok in VR, then I totally reccomend it. But it is not for the squeamish, sensitive, or easily offended, and you might find yourself a little disturbed at what you are capable of as a Jedi given total and free reign to do - whatever you want. 

https://www.nexusmods.com/bladeandsorcery/mods/528

• Love 1

• 9 months later...
On 17/09/2022 at 4:37 PM, Jed said:

For fans of VR and Half Life. If you've completed (the honestly brilliant, and one of my GOAT games on any platform, any era) Half Life Alyx, and still hankering for more in the world of the Combine, then you could do a lot worse than the just-released-today VR mod for Half-Life 2. The mod converts the original base game of Half Life 2 to VR, with full motion controls, everything, Full immersion in the Half Life Universe as Gordon Freeman. It's Open Beta and early access. You need to own the base Half-Life 2 game on steam, and the community-made mod is FREE. And it's absolutely brilliant. The Devs roadmap includes converting Episode 1 + 2 to VR as well in time. 
https://store.steampowered.com/app/658920/HalfLife_2_VR_Mod/

heh i never saw this post until now, thanks btw!  The Source VR Mod team did release the Episodes 1 and 2 a little while ago after your post. 

Then Ashok of the same mod community went on to release a non steam version of Blackmesa Source VR mod. you can find that on nexus. (here)

I'm a contributor of the graphics refresh branch, if you ever want to revisit a playthrough the basegame HL2VR mod with improved graphics, access to 3.0 can be found here  😉

FWIW: the Source vr mod team lead released Crysis vr Mod and also separately, Portal 2 vr mod is in the works currently thanks to talented work by Gistix, there's always new stuff to look forward to when it comes to flat 2 vr conversion.

If you like your shooters then I'd also suggest giving Vertigo 2 a go, Vertigo Remastered and Vertigo 2 are mind blowingly huge and amazing games considering theyre developed by just one person.

Edited by qwertylesh