IGNORED

Pinfest 10th Anniversary

• 2 weeks later...

I like the cab. Getting close to how I would have liked to have made. I think the rake of the glass would have caused problems though. Does the glass try to slide down to easierly?. I went through my head so many ways to hold that glass when the molding was removed and ended up coming to the conclusion, Bally bonnet style where the glass is part of the side rails and you hinge it up and siderails up like a car bonnet with pins you can remove so you could get the think completely out of your way if need be.

I also think my design had the glass on a slightly steeper angle. It was normal WPC glass at WPC standard height at the front and the back of the glass was exactly half the height of a WPC head.

There was a reason for such a deep cabinet in my case. I thought pinball should have gone the Pinball Circus route but with larger playfields and the deep cabinet allows full view of every playfield.

Pinball Circus was great in the respect it made pinball more 3D exactly what I think is needed but hardly worth the effort for such small, uninteresting playfields like those used on pPinball Circus. I think the upper playfields on machines like Flash Gordon, Jungle Lord etc are far more interesting than what was achived with Pinball Circus.

So the cabinet didn't look like a pregnant normal pinball, I was looking at trimming off the bottom of the cabinet. ( sorry, WPC reference points again), top leg bolt front to top of rear leg which works out about 150mm. You loose a lot of weight and no need for the cabinet so deep as no one operates with coin any more, it's all card readers these days so no need for the cashbox under coin mechs. (Need longer legs).

To take advantage to the 3D effect created with more usable depth for multiple playfields I figured rather than your mates looking into the top of a box trying to see you play, what if you did something like Williams did with there 1957 pitch and bat game, Baseball, only more squared off clear upper sides. Now people can see from a distance this is no normal pinball.

The clear, see through upper sides created more problems though. Do you keep them as part of the siderails and glass that hinges up and can be removed one piece with the glass or leave them attached to the lower cabinet?.

I thought attached to the cabinet sides and have them hinge down flush with the outside of the cabinet so you could work on the upper playfields or flip then up similar to a 70-80 Bally SS did.

As for the head, I figured a head no larger than a video machine header panel in depth. Scores don't need to be displayed in the head, Video machines never needed to have scores for each player on the head for all to see and they certainly didn't need a near 700mm by 700mm piece of backglass artwork to get people to play them.

Video machines also, as much as I hate to admit it, kicked pinball arses earning wise all through the 80-90s so that seems pretty conclusive to me. loose the massive backbox and the scores.

More than enough room to mount the score displays on the backwall above the upper playfield and in a far user friendly location for the player.

One thing I really liked about the 70 SS machines was simply how open they were playfield wise. No rails or overhead tracks to block the full view something every pinball since around the mid 80s to current has mainly been guilty of.

Going the 3D design cabinet wise was a way I figured you could make a pinball with far more useable playfield area but still make all the ball area completely viewable.

The playfield the ball was on it was the only playfield with it's GI lit and it's playfield was the only one with solonoid power as well until the ball travelled to another so flippers etc were only active when needed after all this design would have used about 6 flippers over the 3 playfields.

On the front face of the two upper playfields was a trim about 80mm deep so as to cover the mechs and wires under that playfield. That trim was also to mount the inserts for bonuses, multipler etc. Above ball height on each upper playfield the trim was see through so the player could see all the playfield including behind the flippers. You could also see the ball drain from that upper playfield.

I still say the highest earning pinball was by far Firepower and if it didn't have the first real multiball used, it certainly wouldn't have been. The reason it earned so much was before anyone really learnt the machine, they played solely to get those 3 balls at once and before you knew how to play it, it was often 3 games before you would get the three balls once.

That was Firepower's replay appeal.

This design I've spilt my guts to you over works exactly the same way only it's object is getting the ball to all the playfields. That is it's replay appeal. The depth of rules of a game give it legs as in how long a "hooked" player will replay it, yes but this is a far more easier a concept to any player and especially the first time player that has no idea of the machine's rules

If you get a player to pay to play a pinball 3 times, you are doing 3 times better than any production pinball made probably since Firepower. That is pretty much fact.

That desire to get that ball to all the playfields will do quite well I believe.

Sorry if I over wrote your thread but I see it as one Homebrewer sharing his thoughts with another. We need all the help we can get after all, look at the industry we are competing with and even with there massive finances, still keep turning out very similar to what was around in the 90s design wise.

Nothing new is going to come out of those guys. It will come from homebrew if it does.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...