Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bootleg Rygar PCB Canada

Braydun

Question

Hello everyone, it's great to be a part of the community! I have been scouring the web and this seems to be one of the best forums out there so I'll give it a shot. I am restoring my dad's old Rygar cabinet and I am having a few issues with the bootleg PCB that was in the cabinet. Game always played great but I left it on for a bit and now most of the main background images are missing (red background with the sun setting, waterfalls, etc.) and Rygar does not make his sound effect when he jumps, attacks, or dies. Everything else works great and there are no other real bugs. I went ahead and picked up a logic probe, an EPROM eraser and EPROM burner but I don't know how to use the probe to point me in the direction of the error. Should I order all new EPROMs and reburn the whole game? Please help! (Note: the power transformer in the cabinet looks to have swollen a bit and one of the smaller chips is soldered on and angle, not sure if this would cause these kinds of issues, pictures included)

8c9fe9c8ea0a9d30d69587f6d2479505.thumb.jpg.d9020a046e4dd015b11bdf462dc75336.jpg

c9f24f14d3d85f7f73c0302bfbec76c8.thumb.jpg.555212579483a1791a898a1760d374bf.jpg

ea3e2273444ecb100305ca111a3be409.thumb.jpg.213e7df731e0f4d9993817fcabd3057c.jpg

c1604f43a728cece9bfa19dcfbae432e.thumb.jpg.618cf6d40ce0b43154ef0e8d88a5e627.jpg

3 answers to this question

First thing to do is always check the voltages at the board, confirm you are getting 5V at the PCB, not just at the PSU.

Second thing I would do is to reseat the daughterboards. They are the small PCBs plugged into the main PCBs, usually they are rammed into standard PCB sockets which don't like the wider pins. They cause all sorts of issues due to oxide build up, but removing them and reinserting scrapes the oxide away and cures the bad contact.

You may find your gfx issues disappear when you have reseated them. Be very careful to line up the pins correctly when you re-install them.

The transformer and wonky chip won’t be causing your issues, both have been that way since the day it was made.

• Like 1

First thing to do is always check the voltages at the board, confirm you are getting 5V at the PCB, not just at the PSU.

Second thing I would do is to reseat the daughterboards. They are the small PCBs plugged into the main PCBs, usually they are rammed into standard PCB sockets which don't like the wider pins. They cause all sorts of issues due to oxide build up, but removing them and reinserting scrapes the oxide away and cures the bad contact.

You may find your gfx issues disappear when you have reseated them. Be very careful to line up the pins correctly when you re-install them.

The transformer and wonky chip won’t be causing your issues, both have been that way since the day it was made.

Thank you so much sir, I will give this a try today and see what happens! I appreciate the response

Should I order all new EPROMs and reburn the whole game?

No, but you should pull out all of the ROMs and test them in your EPROM burner.

Regarding the sound issue - Rygar boards produce sound in two seperate ways, via an OKI MSM5205and a Yamaha YM3256 OPL. The sounds that you are missing are the ADPCM sounds from the OKI.

I took a quick look and the ADPCM sounds go from ROM (1) to the OKI 5205 then to the LM324 Op-Amp (the left one in your pic, closest to the edge connector), I would guess an issue with one of those chips. First, pull the ROM and check it in your EPROM burner to make sure it's still holding it's data. The OKI outputs on pin 10, so check that pin with your probe and make sure it's pulsing when it's suppose to (when a sound should be playing). The LM324 Op-Amp has four outputs on pins 1, 7, 8, and 14, so check those with the probe too.

When the game is running, try flexing and twisting the ribbon cables that connect the two boards together. If there is a bad connection between them, you might see the backgrounds flicker back on occasionally.

The backgrounds data is stored in ROMs 7, 8, 9 and 10 and the RAM for them is located right above ROM (7). Read those ROMs in your burner also, if the data is still good then the problem could be the RAM or a related 74 series IC or connections between them.