Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My bet to a workmate over the future of cars

danny_galaga

3 hours ago, oldhank said:

20230220_180648.jpg

Turbo charger?  Did you know that the basics for modern turbo chargers were developed by the Americans in WWII? for aircraft. It was an alternative to superchargers, which the English favoured. In both cases, it was to alter 'pressure altitude '. Gave you sea level air density at height, so the engine would still develop the same power. Over 10,000 feet, you start to lose serious power due to lack of oxygen.

Two fantastic planes that used turbos were the P38 Lightning and the P47 Thunderbolt. P38 segues back to this forum cos it's your plane in Capcoms 1942 😃

You can see the turbos in the booms. Garrett was one of the manufacturers of aircraft turbos in WW2 🙂

Screenshot_20230220-201300~2.png

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Turbo charger?  Did you know that the basics for modern turbo chargers were developed by the Americans in WWII? for aircraft. It was an alternative to superchargers, which the English favoured. In both cases, it was to alter 'pressure altitude '. Gave you sea level air density at height, so the engine would still develop the same power. Over 10,000 feet, you start to lose serious power due to lack of oxygen.

Two fantastic planes that used turbos were the P38 Lightning and the P47 Thunderbolt. P38 segues back to this forum cos it's your plane in Capcoms 1942 😃

You can see the turbos in the booms. Garrett was one of the manufacturers of aircraft turbos in WW2 🙂

Screenshot_20230220-201300~2.png

It's only a tiny turbo 34mm haha

Edited by oldhank
  • Like 1

34mm compressor inducer | 46mm compressor exducer

Supports up to 200 horsepower for engines from 0.4l-1l makes 7.252psi with stock actuator 14.504 psi and 21.756psi actuators are available I'd love to see how a little 5hp briggs and stratton flathead takes 21psi of boost haha

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, oldhank said:

Supports up to 200 horsepower for engines from 0.4l-1l makes 7.252psi with stock actuator 14.504 psi and 21.756psi actuators are available I'd love to see how a little 5hp briggs and stratton flathead takes 21psi of boost haha

I would look into Titanium head bolts if you plan to do this, Thinking the stock ones will just stretch and become a recurring problem.

1 hour ago, CandyLand said:

I would look into Titanium head bolts if you plan to do this, Thinking the stock ones will just stretch and become a recurring problem.

5hp 206cc there basically the same engine jr dragster use so there is a ton of aftermarket parts available 

31 minutes ago, oldhank said:

5hp 206cc there basically the same engine jr dragster use so there is a ton of aftermarket parts available 

I would imagine there is, it sounds like a fun project, Just thinking those after market parts are probably including a higher tensile strength in the parts...Head bolts inparticular as they actually would stretch under increased pressure, If you just keep re torqueing them the bolt will most likely just keep getting thinner and thinner until they eventually snap...Dont worry they shouldn't be all crazy expensive or anything, just a different composition of metals...High end high compression engines actually use studs, but that would be overkill for what you are talking about *(opinion)

Edited by CandyLand

14 hours ago, oldhank said:

It won't even do one cylinder in the Allison V12 of the P38 😄

To segue back to EVs from the subject of turbo chargers. Remember that the turbos that were developed and used in aircraft in WWII were to compensate for lower oxygen levels at high altitudes. You know what isn't affected by lack of oxygen? Electric motors 😃

In fact you get a little more power higher up from the solar panels because the atmosphere is clearer and thinner.

Just over two months

😲

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2333373-zephyr-solar-powered-drone-smashes-record-with-2-month-long-flight/

Edited by danny_galaga

13 hours ago, CandyLand said:

I would imagine there is, it sounds like a fun project, Just thinking those after market parts are probably including a higher tensile strength in the parts...Head bolts inparticular as they actually would stretch under increased pressure, If you just keep re torqueing them the bolt will most likely just keep getting thinner and thinner until they eventually snap...Dont worry they shouldn't be all crazy expensive or anything, just a different composition of metals...High end high compression engines actually use studs, but that would be overkill for what you are talking about *(opinion)

Arp make head studs for them a billet rod crank and flywheel should help beef it up a bit