Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My bet to a workmate over the future of cars

danny_galaga

23 minutes ago, nich2pat said:

Electric vehicles (EVs) are considered to be the best vehicles for our future because they have several advantages over traditional gasoline-powered vehicles.

First, EVs produce zero emissions, which means they do not contribute to air pollution or climate change. This is particularly important as air pollution is a major health concern and climate change is a global problem that needs to be addressed.

Second, EVs are cheaper to operate and maintain than traditional vehicles. They have fewer moving parts, which means they require less maintenance, and the cost of electricity is typically lower than the cost of gasoline.

Third, EVs are more energy efficient. They convert about 60-70% of the energy stored in their batteries to power the wheels, while internal combustion engines only convert about 20-30% of the energy stored in gasoline to power the wheels.

Fourth, The world is moving towards renewable energy, and as the electricity grid becomes greener, so will the EVs.

Finally, the technology and availability of EVs is improving quickly, with more models available and longer ranges. This makes them a more viable option for a wider range of consumers and driving needs.

Overall, EVs offer numerous benefits and are considered to be the best vehicles for our future from economic, environmental, and technological perspective.

We have hashed this out before, as many advantages of a EV there are disadvantages that come with it.

Your first point.

Once the car is built, true it is greener, but Zero emissions?, im sure the electricity as it is at the moment pollutes the atmosphere as it is, lets add another 5,000000000000 cars charging to that and we have our next problem, plus the greener energy that they are talking about cant keep up with what we have now and they want us to charge cars from it? then we have the manufacturing process that is more harmful to the environment than a traditional ICE vehicle, as the battery production alone out ways the green that a EV provides, then at the end of its life when no one wants it we have the issue of disposing of and recycling what's left.

Just from this you can see we are solving a problem with another future problem.

Second point.

You will find because of this you will get a higher registration to cover what they lose from no petrol tax and road tax.

When the car does need to be serviced, which it does at regular intervals, you will be paying way more than a traditional service as the dealers need that service and parts revenue to survive, they cant make it work just selling them.

Third point.

Cant argue with facts 🙂

Fourth point.

We are moving toward renewable energy, very slowly, well so they say while they build new coal fired , gas fired and nuclear powered stations around the world.

Solar can only produce when the sun is shining, most people will charge at night when they are not using said EV, wind generators only work in certain km wind if there is no wind on that day or night we have another source down, all the other alternatives have their disadvantages too, so renewable energy is a thing but its not perfect yet.

Last point 

Granted they are improving quickly, but they are no where near what we need to take over the humble ICE, them being the best solution for our future I would be on the NO side at the moment, as they are not really fit for all purposes and the limited range is what is putting off 80% of people, well that and the price. 

Don't get me wrong, the EV will be good for some people at the moment, may be good for a few more in the future, but I doubt if it will completely take over the ICE, even though its not efficient it is reliable over long distances which is what most peoples concerns are.

• Like 1

Wrong tool for the job. While an EV can do the job, why hinder yourself?

I thought we were a time poor society?.

Yet prepared to have our vehicles tethered to a power source for multiple hours rendering them completely useless during these ridiculously long recharge periods.

Not exactly turn key reliable like a Toyota is it now?

A 50 year old Toyota is actually a more "practical" vehicle than a one year old Tesla when you think about it.

While it's true that electric vehicles (EVs) currently require longer recharge times than gasoline-powered vehicles, it's important to note that technology is constantly improving. Recharge times for EVs are decreasing and the development of faster charging infrastructure is making it more convenient to own an EV. Additionally, it's worth considering the long-term benefits of EVs, such as reduced dependence on fossil fuels and lower maintenance costs. While a 50-year-old Toyota may be a reliable option, it's worth considering the environmental impact of continuing to use gasoline-powered vehicles. Ultimately, the choice of vehicle depends on the individual's needs and priorities

1 hour ago, nich2pat said:

I just asked Chat GPT to write an explanation of why electric vehicles are better for our future and that's what it came up with. 
😄

That's because the people who make the EV are selling you a dream, not a bad dream, but a dream all the same, in a perfect world where we already have reliable green energy this would be a dream come true, but that's where it comes unstuck, the reliability of what we already have is hit and miss, then you add a EV for every household in each state of each country and the problems will soon become apparent with our old antiquated electricity system trying to keep up with demand.

If you think about it they are already telling us that peak power period is when most people get home, turn the aircon or heater on, start cooking tea, having hot showers, watching the idiot box, charging the E waste we will have to deal with in the future, the list goes on, then now add to that your new EV car, which if I'm right will take the peak time all the way into the next morning, who do you think the winner is going to be, definitely not the consumer, they say power will come down, but I would say that's the same as when they said fuel price will go down, its a lie.

Unfortunately the short sighted FOMO crew are lapping up the cow turds they are being fed on how great it will be without looking at the big picture of how all the EV stuff fits together, its a jigsaw that someone has added other jigsaw pieces to.

I have been around and in the motor industry my whole life from the age of 7, I would love the world to go EV, but I myself don't want to give up my 700 k range or my 5 minute fill up times and the know that a fuel station is only 1k from the last 1

We just have to look at dieselgate, if they are going to lie to us over emissions what else are they prepared to lie about, you have to remember these motor companies are a business that rely on selling cars to survive, its just like the old car salesman technique, "tell em what they want to hear and you will sell cars", there has been a lot of bull turds thrown about in the EV manufacturing wars, and a lot of these new EV manufacturers will be gone in 5 years and some wont even make it off the ground.

• Like 1

You made a good point with the road taxes, They also did that with cigarettes here and when the prices got so high and fewer people were buying them all of a sudden they decided to legalize pot in most states (also heavily taxed).

Edited by CandyLand

10 hours ago, CandyLand said:

You made a good point with the road taxes, They also did that with cigarettes here and when the prices got so high and fewer people were buying them all of a sudden they decided to legalize pot in most states (also heavily taxed).

Its all about the taxes, nothing is free from it.

Got a few links I keep forgetting to post.

Australia's largest EV bus depot:

https://thedriven.io/2023/01/10/australias-biggest-electric-bus-depot-offers-solar-and-battery-blueprint-for-future/amp/

MAGA: iron/air battery grid storage factory to be built in west Virginia:

https://newatlas.com/energy/form-energy-iron-battery-plant/

Mazda reintroducing rotary engine (no, not a Gnome Candyland 😄) for a plug in hybrid car:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/motoring-news/mazda-confirms-return-n-of-rotary-engine/news-story/ce9a78aa279da937a53fa204265afc58?amp

Cost to service different EVs in Australia:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2023/01/ev-servicing-costs-australia/amp/

4 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Oh yeah, Braaap, Braaap, Braaap, Braaap,

Now thats a hybrid i would be interested in, I doubt if it would ever get used in electric mode 😁

Edited by prktkljokr

43 minutes ago, prktkljokr said:

Now thats a hybrid i would be interested in, I doubt if it would ever get used in electric mode 😁

Now that is cool, Go, Mazda, Go!, That actually had something for everyone, and is a realistic approach to the problem...I would be curious if they would still use traditional tires, or the Ev tires with the hard stiff sidewalls.

20 hours ago, prktkljokr said:

It's going to be quite a different beast. It will probably be a series hybrid. So the motor would be more like a generator. It won't be big, and to me doesn't sound like a good choice for that kind of environment. I don't think you could do better than a 3 or 4 cylinder 4 stroke for that setup.

Here it is. You guys are not going to wet your pants over it 😂

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/mazda-rotary-engine-is-back-2023-mazda-mx-30-r-ev-plug-in-hybrid-revealed-will-it-come-to

3 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

It's going to be quite a different beast. It will probably be a series hybrid. So the motor would be more like a generator. It won't be big, and to me doesn't sound like a good choice for that kind of environment. I don't think you could do better than a 3 or 4 cylinder 4 stroke for that setup.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/mazda-rotary-engine-is-back-2023-mazda-mx-30-r-ev-plug-in-hybrid-revealed-will-it-come-to

Whether they do it or not is irrelevant, The idea of running a gas powered generator...Priceless.

8 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

I'm sure it will still have the old rotary sound no matter what the CC.

Shut up and take my money 😁

• Haha 1

Something that is actually a bit 'red blooded' even though it's an EV. Volvo is bringing out it's first rear wheel drive since 1998

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2024-volvo-xc40-c40-recharge-evs-go-rear-wheel-drive

Mind you, I wish it looked a bit more like the P1800 😊

images (15).jpeg

Edited by danny_galaga

2 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Something that is actually a bit 'red blooded' even though it's an EV. Volvo is bringing out it's first rear wheel drive since 1998

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2024-volvo-xc40-c40-recharge-evs-go-rear-wheel-drive

Meh!, Volvo, never liked them as petrol, so EV or Hybrid will still be Meh!, cant stand working on them, I send them to the apprentices, they need the experience 😁

Toyota Land Cruiser owns that market and is well known to no longer being produced.

I'll put money on it both diesel and V8 petrol Land Cruiser being reintroduced. While stupid countries like Australia with our meager 25 million population think we dictate what will be made, there's countries like Indonesia with it's 170 million demanding the best most practical vehicles for the job, not soccer mum grocery getters.

Has anyone noticed the price of 2nd hand 70 series landcruisers?

Edited by Autosteve

39 minutes ago, Autosteve said:

Toyota Land Cruiser owns that market and is well known to no longer being produced.

I'll put money on it both diesel and V8 petrol Land Cruiser being reintroduced. While stupid countries like Australia with our meager 25 million population think we dictate what will be made, there's countries like Indonesia with it's 170 million demanding the best most practical vehicles for the job, not soccer mum grocery getters.

Has anyone noticed the price of 2nd hand 70 series landcruisers?

All second hand cars have gone up in price. 
This is what you get for throwing away your own industry, you’re at the mercy of companies in other countries. 
With our small population we only get the table scraps. 

• Like 3